Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What was OU doing in town today?

29,784 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by aTm2004
Kentucky Mustangs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A&MArabie

While I appreciate the comment, you remember that folks were actually able to track the plane Scott was on last year when he was making the rounds. Insanity starts in reality.
Wipey
hereto
quote:
Actually there is a similar thread like this on every Big 12 teams' boards.

Yeah, this time this flight tracking was started on an ou board. C'mon Aggies, step up your game! lol
aTm2004
AG
quote:
But the Columbia back to OU then to Aggieland intrigues me. Maybe in later years someone will write a book and we will know then.

OU to MU to pick up somebody. Stop in OU again for fuel. They probably have a negotiated rate there. Then to College Station. Back to OU for dinner and a tour of Stoops' house. Back to MU for the night. Back to OU this morning?
tamu2009
AG
yall creep me out as much as yall surf the web..
HBCanine08
LB12Diamond
AG
I concur that it was getting the proper people to witness signing of certain exit papers.
dathebeachguy
My guess IF (big "IF" this were realignment related, it was a collegial last-ditch effort to get A&M to stay, with B12 reps pitching a plan for for future expansion and long-term viability.

Either that or it was some kid racking up flying hours.
MrFubar
Looks like cargo/charter hops to me
ChemEAg08
whatthehey78
AG
Still believe it was related to our departure and pending announcement...perhaps exit fees discussion. If the others are comtemplating escaping as well, I seriously doubt we'd be included in any joint venture type plan...unless SEC were the escape route?? Have to admit, mysterious flight paths at the very least.
agswin2001
AG
Guys, you're missing the obvious reason for the flight plan. He's doing the same thing I do when I get bored, fly around from college town to college town bar hopping. Mystery solved.
aggiehawg
AG
If it were just a kid getting some flight time, he was doing it in an Oklahoma plane at taxpayer expense.
Kentucky Mustangs
quote:

aggiehawg

If it were just a kid getting some flight time, he was doing it in an Oklahoma plane at taxpayer expense.

OU football recruiting perk! Call the NCAA
trey02
AG
If you guys would have stars you would know what these flights mean
leardriver
AG
@AggieHawg...

Not necessarily. The airplane is used by the flight school, and the student would pay an hourly charge... probably several hundred dollars per hour.

However, as a longtime pilot... military, charter, corporate..., it looks like someone at OU wanted to keep a low profile. MAYBE:

Boren: "You take the plane to Columbia and pick up the president, then come back thru here and pick me up for the leg to College Station."

Pilot: "Yes, sir. Shall we use the jet?"

Boren: "Hmmm... no, let's not call attention to ourselves. How 'bout one of the flight school planes? Don't we have a twin-prop?"

Pilot: "Yes, sir, a Beech Baron. Good plane, but it's a little rough on the inside, and it's not pressurized."

Boren: "That's fine. We'll rough it. I know the Missouri guy, he'll understand."

Pilot: "Want me to block the flight plan? The media may be watching flight tracks out of Norman"

Boren: "Hmmm... no, make it look like an ordinary student cross-country mission. The local guys will never expect me to fly in a prop."

[This message has been edited by leardriver (edited 8/29/2011 12:31p).]

[This message has been edited by leardriver (edited 8/29/2011 12:33p).]
hereto
I don't think it is exit fee or anything like that related. Why the need for flying around to talk? Why not just pick up a phone? Or skype if you want to see a person you are talking to?

I think this could be related to OU and MU going to the SEC as well, just talking about it maybe...

[This message has been edited by hereto (edited 8/29/2011 12:55p).]
aggiehawg
AG
Leardriver, you're the man who would know how those things work.

Checked out soonerfans this morning. They were citing an Aggie site about the flight. They didn't know what was going on either. Might go take a peek and see if anyone has something new.
hereto
^
I believe this all started here: http://www.landthieves.com/board/showthread.php?10609-Interesting-flight-today-by-an-OU-plane

[This message has been edited by hereto (edited 8/29/2011 1:01p).]
mrqster
So do we know what this flight was all about? Someone ask looch.
RandyMarsh
Why didnt they let Texags investigate the OJ murders?
texasaggie04
AG
What would be awesome is if this were all just some practical joke. Some student needed the flight hours and decided to pick these schools to see how far the internet rumors would travel.
86 Tex Ag
AG
From a lawyer's standpoint, there is absolutely no need to fly original documents to other cities for signatures, hand deliver them in person, make sure someone for the other side is there to make sure they are signed properly, or whatever else you guys are speculating with regards to legal documents.

The documents can be exchanged by email or fax, and just signed in counterparts. That is, each party essentially signs a different copy of the contract, yet each copy is an original. It is very much possible as long as the reference to the other document is made in the contract.

You just add something like this in the boilerplate provisions towards the end of the agreement --

"The transmission of this and all other documents by email and fax, even if signed in counterparts, shall be legally binding and fully enforceable by mutual consent of the parties."

Each party need not sign the same copy of the document. Counterparts are done all the time because of distances involved or impracticalities of everyone meeting.

[This message has been edited by 86 Tex Ag (edited 8/29/2011 1:20p).]
gigemhilo
AG
looch answered this morning, but you have to have stars to see.
NormanAg
AG
I like your take on this, leardriver, but ou has two King Airs - I don't think they have a jet. But the King Air is a WHOLE lot bigger, faster, plusher than the Baron.

My previous job (recently retired) was on the Norman airport and I used to drive by the ou flying school ramp twice a day for 15 years.

The Baron was always parked with the rest of the flight school aircraft - and is painted in the same scheme.

The King Airs are hangered on the other side of the terminal/tower building. Never got right next to one, but from the road that goes by the terminal, it does not appear they have any ou markings that are visible from a distance.

EastTexasAg1994
AG
If you'll go look at the landthieves link, one of the guys that flew for the OU program seemed to think it was entirely plausible and listed several good reasons for it.

Post #56 on Page 2

[This message has been edited by EastTexasAg1994 (edited 8/29/2011 1:26p).]
hurst03
AG
I like how every other person on that website has big boobs!
86 Tex Ag
AG
I thought the same thing
DeWrecking Crew
I thought everybody learned about this hours ago...OU and Mizz presidents were in town to speak with Loftin, wanted to have one last face to face to hear our complaints and to see if there was anything that could be worked out, in which Loftin replied no, nothing can be done at this point.
aggiehawg
AG
Out of curiosity, what did they have to offer from the Big Xii anyway? And did Dodds drive over?
Brewmaster
AG
The best reasoning I've heard so far:

It was a last ditch promo for all 3 schools (Mizzou, OU and A&M) to jump ship to the Pac, while giving the finger to t.u. as the big 12-5 crumbles in the rear view.

To which Loftin probably replied with - "Sorry boys we are heading off in the sunset to the east".

The PAC is where both Mizzou and OU end up IMHO.
aggiehawg
AG
That is totally a joke right?
Both the OU Prez and Mizzoo Prez hold positions in the conference leadership. Be a little awkward for them pressing for a wholesale mutiny against the conference.

But by the same token, I can't see what the Big Xii would offer to induce us to stay. Hard to believe those guys would fly down on a Sunday just to say, "Pretty please? Please don't leave. We still love you."
LB12Diamond
AG
Dawrecking crew,

Are you serious?

How could MU think they have any right to ask us to stay? They wanted out last summer and were one of the 1st to get all this stuff started.

Dodds must have asked the OU prez to do this because they cannpt do anything without permission 1st.

[This message has been edited by Jebber (edited 8/29/2011 4:14p).]
double aught
AG
quote:
we are heading off in the sunset to the east
DeWrecking Crew
I'm serious...I'm sure if you look at the bylaws there is something that corresponds to this...doing it in person avoids freedom of information act...most likely a formality that is required, did it on Sunday because everybody's got better stuff to be doing during the week...

Or, if you want to take the foil hat off and talk conspiracy theory...maybe Mizz has already heard from Slive that there is no interest, at that point if your Mizz, your best bet once again is to try and keep the Big 12-2 together...or maybe the three of them were conspiring to start the Big 12 Network

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.