Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Matt Millen on A&M to the SEC

10,404 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by LightningDammitt
SABUILDERAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BQ74 - the dork who is the main anchor for the LHN was my neighbor growing up in S.A. He is a good kid, but unfortunately his career has lead him to this.

And his Dad saved my church league basketball/beer league softball career, when I tore up my ankle a few years ago.

Glad Loftin is leading us and not Millen, that's all I can say. All Lion fans will back me up on that (and they don't even know who Loftin is).
WBBQ74
AG
Millen's anecdote about his worst moment on a football field was a 'groaner' back where I was sitting. I am not a prissy type but there is a line you don't cross while doing public speaking and he was far over it.

My Momma would be washing his mouth out with soap.

Prescient
Conference alignment is no longer about what happens on the field, it's about viewership, which means $$$$$. Nothing else matters.
farmer2010
AG
quote:
Point being and I've said it for years,
"the easiest route to the BCS Championship game is obviously in the Big XII"

you guys are a bunch a jackass idiots
p-wonk01
AG
OP - I think his opinion is based on fact. I don't see why that is reason to flame him...
Crew92Ag
AG
I think they are missing the point.

The MNC is great and I would love one, but the real question is "will we make more money and get more exposure/better recruits for all of our sports by joining the SEC. Even if we only put up 8 win seasons in football?"

I think the answer is "yes".

I also think one of the reasons we have been owned in bowl games is because we don't face SEC caliber teams during the season and are not prepared for that level of competition when we see it. playing them every week is going to be a good thing for our program in the long run.
Texags is garbage
WTF? We have good receivers. He should love us.
Texas 1836
AG
I've always hated that guy.

I remember a Sports Illustrated article in the 80's about him.

Randy WHite came to his high school to talk about Maryland. Matt challenged him to an arm wrestling match. Randy slammed his arm down so hard it almost broke. Matt jumped up to fight him.

Randy just grabbed him, and bear-hugged him til he passed out.

His coaches quoted Randy as he was leaving, "Guess he's not going to Maryland."

The moron has a history of poor judgement. Who picks a fight with the Manster??
Sam the Sham 2
It may be the easiest route to the Championship game.

The problem is, they have to play an SEC Team when they get there.
gtxmedic69
Cypresshorn
Who goes to the MNC Game a 12-1 SEC Champ or 12-0 Big 12 champ

Both. And who do high school recruits want to play for, the team who consistentlky goes to BCS bowls and ends up in the MNC every few years at least..or the team that loses at least 3 or 4 games in the SEC every year and ends up in a 3rd tier bowl if any?

I think that might be were Matt's head is. You get better by getting better recruits, you get better recruits by winning. Texas has not had a problem getting very good recruits every year and Texas doesn't play in the SEC. But Texas does play for MNCs and does play in BCS bowls. Texas has also won quite a few of those upper level bowls.

I think going to the SEC may help with recruiting but at the same time, it's just as likely that more kids from Texas will decide to go play at other SEC schools. What was Lyin Les' first comment when he heard that A&M may be coming to the SEC? "Good, they've got some pretty goopd high school players in Texas" You don' tthink that they're all just chomping at the bit to get a stronger presence in Texas out of this?
TxAginAz
AG
Yo sip dumbass, the SEC is already in the state of Texas. Atleast now they will be going to A&M instead of going out of state...Now get your delusional ass to the Notre Dame board. LMAO!

*********************************************************************************************************************
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women."

Claude os, aperi oculos!
Cypresshorn
The SEC has barely dipped their toes in Texas. The last several years, more players have gone to OU than all of the SEC teams combined. That is what is a little puzzling. I too would think that hs players would like to go to the SEC but their Texas ties have kept some of them in state. But...if that is the case then how do you explain so many players going out of state but not going to the SEC? If they are going to go out of state anyway, why not go to the SEC? Maybe it's that many of the ones going out of state aren't offered by the SEC, I don't know. We can only wait and see.
TxAginAz
AG
quote:
The SEC has barely dipped their toes in Texas.

WRONG!

*********************************************************************************************************************
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women."

Claude os, aperi oculos!

[This message has been edited by TxAginAz (edited 8/25/2011 6:35p).]
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Well, just for one example, that kid who torched A&M in the Cotton Bowl was from HEMPSTEAD TX our freaking back yard. Yes, the SEC does in fact have a decent presence in our state already.

TxAginAz
AG
Want another example? The Bama QB that just won the MNC two years ago was from where?
State o' Texas...

Claude os, aperi oculos!
Cypresshorn
Current Top100 players in Texas

Committed to a school total 83
Committed to school outside Texas 27
Committed to an SEC school 4

So of the 27 players committed to schools out of state so far, 23 have committed to schools not in the SEC.

If you look back the last several years, that is pretty indicative of the way it's been for a while now.
Bonfire1996
AG
Is that the "Texas Good" ketch rated LSRtop100?

Cause that's the one that has the Horns as Americas most talented team, top to bottom. Is that accurate?
DecadePlan
AG
Five years running - SEC has produced the national champion.

Methinks his premise is damn wrong.
AginCal
AG
That's Matt Millen's assessment?

I really treasure the insight of literally the worst GM in the history of professional sports. He makes Mike Brown look like Billy Beane.
Cypresshorn
Is that the "Texas Good" ketch rated LSRtop100?

Cause that's the one that has the Horns as Americas most talented team, top to bottom. Is that accurate?

If you don't believe those are the top 100 players in the state then which of the 14 ag commits do you think don't belong?

Not sure what difference it makes whether those are the "real" top players in the state or not because the point was that a very small percentage of the ones who are going out of state are going to the SEC.

But still, even though you may not agree with where the players are ranked within the top 100, most agree that the 100 on the list are probably correct or at least are very good players.
LightningDammitt
AG
Cypress-

The thjeory is that currently fewer Texas recruits go to the SEC because they have little chance of playing in Texas. (Your data supports that btw...)

If A&M is in the SEC, those same recruits, (even if they DON't go to A&M, but some other SEC school) now have at least one game that they play in Texas. That makes A&M more attractive AND makes the SEC more attractive.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.