Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Matt Millen on A&M to the SEC

10,392 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by LightningDammitt
SABUILDERAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He was in S.A. yesterday for an Alamo Bowl luncheon (anyone think the Alamo Bowl is in favor of us going to the SEC? Me either.).

He was asked about our move to the SEC and he responded that we are crazy to move, because "the easiest route to the BCS Championship game is obviously in the Big XII"(-II). That approach worked out really well for Ohio State, OU, t.u., and Oregon the last few years.

Is there any question why this guy was the biggest failure in the history of the NFL, as a general manager? Nice loser mentality. Let's find a cheap way to get to the MNC game, so that the SEC can kick us in the teeth in front of a national television audience.

I really wish that the interviewer would have asked him if he thought that the easiest way to the Super Bowl was by having an entire team of WR's.
SWCBonfire
AG
quote:

he thought that the easiest way to the Super Bowl was by having an entire team of WR's.
Bear Face
"the easiest route to the BCS Championship game is obviously in the Big XII"

You disagree with that??
NyAggie
AG
quote:
"the easiest route to the BCS Championship game is obviously in the Big XII"(-II).

that's an ignorant, short-sighted view.

our move is about much more than winning a football NC
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Who goes to the MNC Game a 12-1 SEC Champ or 12-0 Big 12 champ
ckwarren33
Agree, Mack-10 is easier path to B-CS Bowl. Disagree that easier path is the one A&M should choose to walk. Don't think the better leaders in A&M's history frequently chose the easier path, either. Don't think they'd want A&M to choose the easier path today. When in life is the easiest path best?
Corporal Punishment
AG
0-16
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
sorry..matt millen's management of the Lions disqualifies him from making any comment on anything football related from now on.
aggiehawg
AG
Ignorant and short-sighted is the Big Xii motto.
Huktaz04
It IS an easier path to a BCS bowl. The problem is that you won't win the bowl when you get there.
Bassmaster
AG
Matt Millen's quote after tu beat Nebraska last year - "The Longhorns will not lose another game this season."
Proudest Grasshopper
S
quote:
sorry..matt millen's management of the Lions disqualifies him from making any comment on anything football related from now on.

This
Stinky T
AG
Texas A&M will never make it to the BCS championship game with 1 loss in the Big 12-2. Never. OU or tu - maybe. But the Ags - never. In the SEC is a different story.

For me this is the thing guys like Millen choose to ignore. It isn't easy to go undefeated in any conference which is evidenced by the small number of undefeated teams every year - so why not play in a conference that gives you a shot to get to the big one with one loss.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Of course everyone is hyping "But look how EASY the Big 12 is now!"...as that is really its only redeeming value left.

But here is my problem with this whole philosophy:

The Big East is the single easiest path to the MNC game.

The SEC is the single hardest path to the MNC game.

How many BE teams have been to the MNC game since VT and Miami left? None.

How many SEC teams have been? 7

In theory, SOMEONE should be running through the BE like a knife through hot butter every single year...and yet it has never happened in the new BE. WVU came close but stumbled at the end against a 4 win Pitt team.

This is because teams play to the level of talent around them. OU and tu really believe they will continue to run undefeated through the weak B12...but they won't. And whats more, they won't get to the MNC game ahead of the SEC champ or a 1 loss champ from the PAC or B1G.

[This message has been edited by Maroon Dawn (edited 8/25/2011 1:05p).]
MROD92
Other pundits were in San Antonio being interviewed as well. They all stated Aggies should stay in the big 12, and that it is the easy path to MNC. Everyone is toting the company line, no surprise to me.
Maroon Dawn
AG
and of course the obvious: the Alamo Bowl doesn't want to lose a tie in with one of its most profitable picks for appearances.

AustinGator
Please remind Bob Stoops and like minded journalists that the goal isn't to get to the BCS game, it's to WIN the BCS game. That is what the SEC does very well recently.

As a Gator I do believe the SEC schedules are difficult, and wonderful to watch as a fan (5-7 smash mouth games a year where anything can happen). I also believe A&M will get better recruits in the SEC and rise to the level of competition in just 2 years (you guys are already top 10, so ignore the haters).

I think everyone against the SEC move has an agenda and they realize A&M will get better in all sports and definitely football. Stoops and like minded journalists might have a point about the Big 12 being the easiest route to a BCS game, then again I remember beating Stoop's team in the BCS NC game in January 2009.

Ignore what you are reading from the haters, A&M in the SEC is a great fit and I hope to chant SEC next to you sometime soon.

-AustinGator

An Aggie was the one that got away, and I've loved A&M ever since.
AGAZ03
AG
The day I take advice from Matt Millen is the day I learn how to run an NFL franchise into the ground in a matter of 2 years.
NyAggie
AG
quote:
I think everyone against the SEC move has an agenda and they realize A&M will get better in all sports and definitely football.

this is it right here.

baylor has an agenda - they want the big12 intact so they dont wind up in conf usa

tu has an agenda - they want to keep A&M down and under their control

media types have an agenda - in a lot of media eyes A&M is not a :have" a "power" school, so A&M has no business leaving a conference and "upsetting the applecart"

A&M is not a big enough boy to trigger major relaignment, so they say we wil lfail etc...
MSCAg
AG
quote:
I really wish that the interviewer would have asked him if he thought that the easiest way to the Super Bowl was by having an entire team of WR's.
One of the best lines I've read all week.

Seriously, I was dumbfounded when I saw ESPN hired the guy.
NOLA_AGGIE_FAN
General Manager of the Detroit Lions.....need I say any more?
John Maplethorpe
AG
Data: 5 straight SEC Football National Champions
Interpolated Facts: 5 straight SEC Football National Champions, 0 National Championships the last 5 years from Big12, ACC, Pac10, Big10 combined.
Conclusion: SEC teams are more likely to win a National Championship
NOLA_AGGIE_FAN
While I agree, it is certainly a much "easier" path to get there than in the SEC, don't know about it being the "easiest" path overall, (see Big East)so that is up for debate. But, there is no question judging by how well Oklahoma has done in BCSCG's over the past decade, it is quite obvious they did not have what it took to seal the deal (except for once). They got hammered by USC, and beaten solidly by UF and LSU. Even though the score reflected "close games" against UF and LSU, I watched them, and they were mismatches. And, IMHO, they had NO business playing LSU for the MNC, in 2003, since they got waxed by Kansas State in the B12-CG that year. How the hell can you play for the MNC, when you are not even champions of your own conference?

[This message has been edited by NOLA_AGGIE_FAN (edited 8/25/2011 2:05p).]
Bonfire1996
AG
Follow the logic train....

1. Is College Football essentially an arms race at this time where the long term track for the most successful programs are the ones with the most revenue generating power? Meaning, sure, Boise State and TCU were great the last couple years, but, will they truly be able to retain their coaches (both Assistant and Head) over the next two decades versus the Big Boys? No
2. Therefore, how do you reconcile, in A&M's case, lobbying for A&M to remain in a conference for significantly less money than the SEC and significantly less money than the horns? Shouldn't it be easy to conlcude that given an minimum annual $10 Million head start, teams from the East and the horns, over a period of 20-30 years, will eventually win a war of attrition versus A&M?

Why again do you question A&M leaving?
heddy Lamarr
AG
quote:

of course. that is also an admission that the SEC is a better conference. Get away from tu, go to better conference = win - win for us
Ray29
If you win the SEC you KNOW you'll be in the BCS CG...if you win the Big-12 you MIGHT be in the BCS CG!

Don't be afraid to play with the big boys!!
TexasAggie_97
AG
It's simple really. If you want to be the best you have to play the best.
doar823
AG
Point being and I've said it for years,
bigcheese013
Aggies past and present are no stranger to taking the hardest route. A&M's leadership was forged through years of discipline and honor. And these virtues continue to be instilled in all aggies. With every great challenge comes great honor, and with great honor comes great sacrifice. And that is what Texas A&M University is about. That is what separates aggies from all other universities.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Matt Millen? Really? Who gives a shat?
txag70
AG
quote:
"the easiest route to the BCS Championship game is obviously in the Big XII"(-II). That approach worked out really well for Ohio State, OU, t.u., and Oregon the last few years.

Ohio State and Oregon are in the Big XII? Did I miss something?

"The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made." Jean Giraudoux.
tdukes91
Call me crazy, but I don't think the Big XII is really a much easier route to the BCS Championship game.

Someone above me hit on this, but you play to the level of competition. The most successful teams are the ones who take the game day by day, week by week, and never overlook any practice or any game. When you're playing mediocre teams, its pretty easy to overlook them. But in the SEC, you know you're going to have to fight on any given saturday so it's a lot harder to overlook anyone.

Add that to the fact that you can probably go the 'ship with 1 loss.
WBBQ74
AG
I was at the Kickoff Luncheon at the Alambodome yesterday, too. Been to probably a dozen of them over the years. Unfortunately this year's version was the WORST one ever, even worst than the year Lou Holtz was the speaker. The audio was either initially non-existent or echo ridden once you finally could hear the podium. In all other years the ESPN talent guy made a speech, talked about both conferences and had general assessments of the upcoming season. There have been some good iterations (Craig James, Mark May, Ron Franklin....) and some not so good iternations (John Mackovic, Lou Holtz.......) but at least the audio was decent and program viable.

This year they just had a panel with Millen and 3 other guys; 2 youngsters I have never heard of and the dork who will be running the Longhorn Network. Serious objectivity there, folks. They talked for 30 minutes and said pretty much nothing. Beyond bad.

I will get a chance to pass along my critique later this year. Trust me. Wish it wasn't so because I have enjoyed being a volunteer for the Alamo Bowl for the last 8 years. Facts are stubborn things.

sjagwhoop
AG
doar823 ftw...

Gig 'em!

"What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in "What"?!
Boy 1der
From a Husker...

People critisizing the move are only thinkng of the short term. This is about your kids' and their kids' aTm. This is about making as much TV money as any other schools in the US after the initial 'buy-in' period.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.