Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Anyone remember tu band/armadillo incident?

13,324 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CactusThomas
EMY92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd never heard this one either. Good bull Ol' Army!
EMc77
AG
I was there as a soph in HS, visiting a member of B-2. ( carried his girl friend and brother who was in my class down from San Angelo).

We laughed our a$$es off. Only thing that made the game decent....

Weren't there bumper stickers that appeared saying "Dig'em Dillos"? I definitely remember that slogan being made a little more groady at yell practices....
MD 72
I still have one of those bumper stickers.
captain angry
AG
LOL Hamhorn...sad day for the sips when you're claming scoreboard from '71
NoseBleed
I was there. I was thinking it was the 1969 game. I'm glad WBBQ74 set that straight. The game against the sips that year was typical for the era, and we weren't in it. Therefore, all the distractions were more interesting to us Ags than the game itself. There was also an incident concerning one of the sip, male cheerleaders. He somehow lost his orange sweater, and the Ag student section repeatedly taunted him by holding up wadded-up, orange items, such as sweaters or rain gear, and once it caught his eye, the item would be brought down before he could focus on it. Drove the guy crazy.
ag-bq-seventy
AG
Shoot, when I was a fish in the FTAB, we took a zip in a fartsack to Austin (nekkid, mind you), and hung him in a tree just outside of a coed dorm, just as the sun started to come up. We dropped in a pen knife, and ran off. From about 50 yards away we saw him cut himself out and fall to the ground as the girls were just starting to go to class. He hitched back to campus.

All that for saying another zip's girlfriend was a little loose with the morals. (She was.)

Ah! The good ol'e days.
smitsmw
Howdy Ags -

My son (class of 07) passed this thread on to me. I wasn't there for the stuff that happened in 71 but I can tell you that I am a proud member of the L-1 class of 79 and my fish buddies and I earned our corps brass by letting a single burnt orange armadillo loose on Kyle Field as the tu band stepped off. We worked for a month to gather some armadillos for the event - we ended up with two but one got away as our upper classmen showed them off to their girl friends. We kept them in an empty room in our dorm. The room probably still stinks as a result of these animals living in our dorm for a couple of weeks. The year was 75. We were so excited that we were shaking - we also made the first paragraph of the Houston Chronical's story on the game the next day - as many of you have indicated - it was good bull, red ass and old army! Thanks for helping an old ag relive one of the finest moments in his life!
SPSAg05
AG
Dammit....I came to Aggieland 30 years too late. This place stinks now compared to back then.
aeon-ag
"Once the t.u. band finished and the armadillos were gone we got out and did our drill like usual."

under the direction of the best of the best, Col. E.V. Adams!!!!!!!
MLK_87
Great stories and thanks for sharing. Thanks to MD72 for mentioning the sticker in the "coolest memarobilia" thread and the memory jog!
Old Jock 1997
AG
This is a great thread. I've laughed out loud 3-4 times.
wtr1975
AG
My fish year - will never forget. CH Long was my outfit First Sergeant and a junior yell leader. I still have my "dig em dillos" bumper sticker.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Best thing on this thread:

Someone used the word "groady".

JK. Awesome thread. Thanks for the bump.
Meximan
Dig 'em, Dillos!

Somebody whip up a new batch of those.
aeon-ag
MLK_87 said:

Quote:

The armadillo even challenged the University of Texas. A tongue-in-cheek bumper sticker movement to change the name of the mascot from Longhorn to Armadillo got under way, and students at rival Texas A&M couldn't let that opportunity slip by. At a Thanksgiving Day football game, the Aggies stampeded a herd of orange-painted armadillos into the ranks of the Texas marching band.

From Jan Reid's book The Improbable Rise of Redneck Rock, there is a section about Armadillo World Headquarters.

Does anyone remember this? Thanks to the "coolest Aggie memorabilia" thread for the memory jog.
I remember it well, damned hilarious!!!
aeon-ag
aeon-ag said:

"Once the t.u. band finished and the armadillos were gone we got out and did our drill like usual."

under the direction of the best of the best, Col. E.V. Adams!!!!!!!

The "Col" was the best band director ever to lead the FTAB!!!!
aeon-ag
Dough said:

Quote:

A tongue-in-cheek bumper sticker movement to change the name of the mascot from Longhorn to Armadillo got under way

This was before my time, but the way my father related the story to me is that this was a very serious movement by a few quacks. Nothing tongue in cheek about it.

Damned bunch of t.u. hippies wanted to make the change, said the Armadillo was a "peaceful" little animal. They are about as doped up as that ol' cow they parade around.
BQ78
AG
Remember that well and laughed my tail off watching that poor dillo try to dig his way through the astro turf.
oklacityag75
AG
paine73 said:

This brings back a lot of memories.

What happened prior to C.H. and I dumping the armadillos in the middle of the tu band at halftime was this:

At midnight yell we told the fish that we would give our class set (73) for every armadillo that they brought to my hole. Around 4 a.m. it seems like half the damn fish in the Corps show up banging on my door. There were at least 15-20 armadillos in tow sacks, beer coolers, you name it. They crapped me out totally.
We let all but two of them go and took them to the game.
What a hoot!!

Beat the Hell outta Everyone!!

Hank Paine
HYL '73
And I so clearly remember it was a Yell Leader named Hank Paine that let the 'dillos loose in the middle of the tu band. It was hilarious watching the tu band break formation and run away. Thanks Hank for giving me a lifelong memory of that game. Gig'em and tu still sucks !!!!
ABATTBQ87
AG
1972 Aggieland:

ABATTBQ87
AG
BmtAg96
AG
What's a fartsack
TAMU74
AG
I was there.
Locknload
AG
I was there in 71 as a 14 year old. I remember seeing Gene Stallings walk over with the team and was excited to see him in person after watching "The Gene Stallings Show" on TV for years. Still remember his grey plaid sport coat.
I said "Look Dad, there's Coach Stallings." To which he replied "Take a good look because after today he'll be gone." He was.
Anyone remember the sips used to ring cow bells? That day a sip (grown man) sitting next to us in the horseshoe started ringing his bell and my Dad tapped him on the shoulder and told him if he continued ringing that bell he would stick it up his arse. No more ringing! Dillo was hilarious and I knew I was going to A&M.
Fish year was 75 so I saw both Dillo pranks. I guess I thought it happened every year!

Also recall Aggie foot lockers being carried out to the field...
wtr1975
AG
TTT
Meximan
Before every athletic matchup between the Ags and whorns from now on, someone should turn loose a dillo with "Dig 'em Dillos!" on its back in face paint onto the lawn of ol' 40 Acres at lunchtime.
DuncanLEO
Simpler times back then.
Alpha Texan
AG
Now THIS is awesome. Thanks for sharing!
Stone44
AG
Great idea! Most of the tu bqs.,were scared of the dillos and were running away from them. I remember this tuba player running and the dillo seemed to be chasing him. Everyone was laughing including the sip fans. I don't believe their band played anything that day. We never lost a halftime and that day was awesome.
oklacityag75
AG
paine73 said:

What happened prior to C.H. and I dumping the armadillos in the middle of the tu band at halftime was this:

At midnight yell we told the fish that we would give our class set (73) for every armadillo that they brought to my hole. Around 4 a.m. it seems like half the damn fish in the Corps show up banging on my door. There were at least 15-20 armadillos in tow sacks, beer coolers, you name it. They crapped me out totally.
What a hoot!!

Hank Paine
HYL '73
My first tu vs TAMU. Hey Hank, if I remember correctly YOU let those 'dillos out in the middle of the sip band. they broke formation, squealed and ran away !!!! Another halftime we won in convincing fashion !!!!
74AnimalA
AG
That is probably the true Origin of "HOLD MY BEER!!!!

That was the Hi-light of the Game NO DOUBT.
But think about it! teasips have been trying to go Green before anyone knew what green was....

Thanks Hank for the Memories.

Drew
DuncanLEO
BmtAg96 said:

What's a fartsack

Wondered the same but a bunch of dudes, nudity, and fart sacks...best let that lie.
wtr1975
AG
oklacityag75 said:

paine73 said:

What a hoot!!

Hank Paine
HYL '73
My first tu vs TAMU. Hey Hank, if I remember correctly YOU let those 'dillos out in the middle of the sip band. they broke formation, squealed and ran away !!!! Another halftime we won in convincing fashion !!!!

I have the same memory. My fish year with CH Long as my outfit First Sergeant. Great memory! Up there with trapping the Rice Mob in their stadium follow the half time insult two tears later.

PS: if memory serves me the fart sack was Corps slang for the mattress covers with an opening and tie strings at one end that were the standard for the bunks in the dorms.
CactusThomas
AG
Military term for sleeping bag
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.