Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is there a better play by play announcer than Dave South?

1,504 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by weatherford
hammer11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
baylor used to have to guys that were the worst I have ever heard.

I do not mind Dave at all and his voice is easy to recognize when scanning the dial to find the game.
proudag88
In a word...

Sleeping Giant
S
yes
hedges1
AG
Mikewaters,

People around don't really have a problem with Dave's style, it's just that we'd really like to know what the hell is going on!
Frozen Concoction
I'm no fan of Dave. But, I did listen to a game or two on the radio this season, and I have to admit he was slightly less bad than what I remember from past years.
I've been hoping for many years that our athletic department, which isn't starving as far as resources go, would hire someone who sounds more professional than ol' Dave.
AggieHubby96
Like I said before, I never did care all that much for Dave over the years, but Jeebus...

if it's "touchdown OKLA---HOMAAAAAAAAA" or

"into the end zone... PISTOLS FIRING!!! TOUCHDOWN!!"

you get a little perspective.
jimscott85
AG
Like him or not, he's the voice of Aggie football. I've come to like him a lot more over the years.
spanky
AG
Bryant Gumbel is pretty good, but he's on TV.
rbtexan
S
I don't think people dislike Dave. Quite the contrary, I think most of us who have listened to him over the years enjoy the familiarity of his voice, and respect his love of and loyalty to Texas A&M.

That being said, he's not nearly as good as he once was, and I've heard plenty that were or are better. Eli Gold is great, John Ward at Tennessee was excellent before he retired, Wes Durham at Ga. Tech is solid, and perhaps the best I've ever heard, Larry Munson at Georgia. Even Joe Fisher at Vanderbilt does a better job.

Now, what defines "better". IMO, a play-by-play announcer's job is to inform the listeners who aren't able to be at the game, or to watch it on TV, as to exactly what is happening on the field. For me, accuracy counts...getting the down & distance correct, identifying the player carry the ball, who makes the tackle, etc. I certainly understand that it's not an easy job, and mistakes can and will be made. But there's no excuse for flubs like "he's going to throw for a touchdown!...he's sacked for a nine yard loss".

Living in Nashville, I've listened to a lot of Vandy games on radio, and I can tell you that I am NEVER at a loss as to down & distance, score, or anything related to what is happening on the field.

That just happens to be my criteria...if yours is a familiar voice that you can recognize easily, more power to you. I just like knowing what's going on in the game.
Token
AG
me

"An A-Bomb, From A-Rod"
Ag pride
AG
chances are yes
fumbler
quote:
If you want to get some kind of idea about Dave South, you just need to listen to some of the other guys out there. In my part of the world, you'll hear a ton of OU stuff, and you'll be ready to slit your wrists and bleed in a cup after 15 minutes of Bob Berry.

Sharpen up the razors.

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/07-08/video/genrel/12dec/20071201_big12_mcbride.wmv&school=okla&','VideoPlayer','toolbar=no,resizable=no,scrollbars=no,width=750,height=460'

weatherford
Has anyone tried to listen to the radio and watch the game on DVR? I have. I have synced his calls with the game.

I will tell you, sometimes my eyes and ears seem to be watching different games.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.