Best history podcasts?

2,792 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by doubledog
Fightin TX Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently finished The History of Rome, and I miss it like a friend. Even bought a tshirt!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-history-of-rome/id261654474?i=1000343455256

Before that, I listened to every season of A New History of Old Texas. The Cabeza de Vaca season is fantastic.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/a-new-history-of-old-texas/id1330654489?i=1000483167162

What are your recommendations for good listens?
Fightin TX Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also this is my post on the History Forum. How's the water over here?
Blanco Jimenez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hardcore History is the gold standard but it's not regular. I like some episodes of History on Fire.
QBCade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rest is History is really good,
CThomas 86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://bytesizedbiographies.com/
ABATTBQ87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
These guys are absolutely a must listen/watch

WW2 Pod: We Have Ways of Making You Talk

JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like:
We Have Ways of Making you Talk (WW2)
Not so Quiet on the Western Front (WWI)
The Old Frontline (WWI)
The War Office (same guys who do the Operations Room YouTube Channel)
Hardcore History


Those are my favorites
Sapper Redux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Revolutions is great
kubiak03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Life of Caesar podcast is really in depth and funny (starts with Julius and now on Titus). They also do an Alexander one which is fantastic.

However, one of them is a big lefty and lets his dislike of Christianity, trump and the west take over at times.

It's palatable in some of the older episodes but I finally had to stop listening to them. They were that good for me to suck it up for all these years.

Rest is history and we have ways are both good too.
oldarmy76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Killing time. Low budget and not doing more episodes but I like them all. Highlights key battles in last 400 years or so.

Revolutions is good but I like some episodes way more than others. Enjoyed the Mexican one the most probably.

Tides of history is excellent.

Cold War-prelude to the present. I really like this series.

Explorers podcast is great. Pretty short 1-4 episodes or so on a wide range of explorers. The one on Ernest Shackleton is my favorite but tons of them are good to great.

Threads from the national tapestry - it's a civil war podcast that is more story telling than just recounting facts. New episodes are always a much listen for me.

Wise about Texas. Not a seeeping story of Texas history but jumps from story to story. I find it pretty good.

me.





Aggie_Journalist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
+ 1 for the Mexican Revolution season of Revolutions

Acquired is a great business history podcast. The history of standard oil episodes may be my favorite I've listened to so far. They also have the NFL and Nintendo - lots of variety.

+ 1 for Hardcore History. The most recent seasons are free. older seasons you have to buy. The WWI and Mongol seasons were peak.

Abridged Presidential Histories covers all the presidents. The Jon Tyler and Chester Arthur episodes offer some pretty crazy lesser known history.
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I enjoy Ken Wise's (Aggie) podcast about Texas - Wise About Texas.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
surfandturfsbisa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I just retired from teaching Texas History for 30 years and was hoping to find some good history podcasts to keep me busy.
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Congrats!

Lot's of good options as well on youtube such as history of byzantium (on spotify too). Timeline, The Rest is History, Herald of the Ages, Civil War Battlefield Trust all great options to look into.
surfandturfsbisa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
nortex97 said:

Congrats!

Lot's of good options as well on youtube such as history of byzantium (on spotify too). Timeline, The Rest is History, Herald of the Ages, Civil War Battlefield Trust all great options to look into.

Thanks so much. I have been trying out The Rest is History so far.
lb sand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been enjoying "The Ancients". It's some Scottish guy and has an expert guest on whatever the topic is. Obviously it's about more ancient history, Bronze Age, Iron Age up to the renaissance.
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Unauthorized History of the Pacific War Podcast

thought I new a lot about WW2 in the Pacific but apparently not! Cover a ton of well known and obscure but relevant events in the Pacific Theater.
Blanco Jimenez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've recently found Gone Medieval and I really enjoy it. It's right up my alley as far as time period. They did a nice series on the Crusades back in March.
surfandturfsbisa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agracer said:

Unauthorized History of the Pacific War Podcast

thought I new a lot about WW2 in the Pacific but apparently not! Cover a ton of well known and obscure but relevant events in the Pacific Theater.

I am reading "As Good As Dead" about a Japanese POW camp. Pretty harrowing! Don't see how those guys made it.
surfandturfsbisa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

I recently finished The History of Rome, and I miss it like a friend. Even bought a tshirt!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-history-of-rome/id261654474?i=1000343455256

Before that, I listened to every season of A New History of Old Texas. The Cabeza de Vaca season is fantastic.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/a-new-history-of-old-texas/id1330654489?i=1000483167162

What are your recommendations for good listens?

So I'm 95 percent finished with the Cabeza de Vaca season- very well done. Thanks for that recommendation. I was happy to hear him reference The Texas Beyond History website, which I helped work on.
Fightin TX Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It should be an Amazon series or something. The entire story is compelling and unbelievable.
CaptTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
+1 to Unauthorized History of the Pacific War, its a great show and lots of information. Could listen for days.
P.H. Dexippus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Revolutions is great

Mike Duncan is great, as is his History of Rome podcast. I've listened to every episode he's put out. My only critique is that his socialist sympathies are readily apparent in both his topic selection and narration.
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Listening to the Mexico Revolution season now and it's grating to hear him pronounce Santa Anna and San Jacinto.
LW_Aggies9860
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you haven't tried Hardcore History by Dan Carlin, give it a shot. Some of the episodes are incredible."
surfandturfsbisa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Listening to the Mexico Revolution season now and it's grating to hear him pronounce Santa Anna and San Jacinto.

Hopefully he never has to say Refugio.
Sapper Redux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LW_Aggies9860 said:

If you haven't tried Hardcore History by Dan Carlin, give it a shot. Some of the episodes are incredible."


When he gets into the narrative it's great listening. I find him often frustrating in that he will beat certain metaphors to death and wonder off on tangents.
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
podbean : The Rest is History and History Hits.

https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/c5ptp-16c70b/The-Rest-Is-History-Podcast
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.