Sam Mihara: A Detailed Look at Japanese-American Internment Camps

3,408 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Jabin
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Your claim then allows for you to violate people's rights in the name of safety. That just seems strange coming from a conservative like yourself.
Again, it is a tough decision.

To me, the good of the many outweighs the good of the few. Japanese-Americans could be compensated for financial losses, but not so with anyone who might have died as a result of nefarious actions of a subset of those Japanese-Americans.
#FJB
ABATTBQ87
AG

ABATTBQ87 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Quote:

I think we can all agree that if we have fewer guns in the country, we'd have fewer gun deaths. I'm still not going to allow the government to violate the second amendment
I don't agree with that at all

There is some evidence to support this claim. There would be fewer suicides by gun.

great, more suicides by hanging or overdoses, hooray liberals!

I'd imagine more people survive suicide attempts by hanging and overdose than by gun. Hooray, we've lowered the death rate and therefore it's justified.

You do realize this discussion isn't about guns, right?
you brought it up
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I also said I wouldn't allow the 2nd Amendment to be violated. Good grief.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
It's amazing how much power you'll yield to the government when it's not you or your children having their rights taken away.

Surely you'll understand when the government comes and does that to you. You know, the good of the whole over the few and all.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG

It's amazing how much power you'll yield to the government when it's not you or your children having their rights taken away.

Surely you'll understand when the government comes and does that to you. You know, the good of the whole over the few and all.
This response could lead to blowing this whole thread up, so I'll save those thoughts for myself. In light of the Japanese-Americans rights, though, I've already stated that was wrong but that in the context of the time, it was a necessary action. Admittedly, this is an aspect of WWII that I have not studied deeply - were there reparations for those directly impacted? For some reason I'm thinking that is how this was rectified, but might be wrong on that point.

But I will say it's amazing how easily you brush off potential death of any number of American citizens all to protect the rights of a subset of that citizenry.
#FJB
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
How much is your freedom and the freedom of your children worth right now for future pay offs?

If we think they're spies, monitor them. You don't get to just throw them in prison because it's easier.
Jabin
There are and were alternatives than simply rounding up everyone of a particular nationality or race and putting them in camps. Good counter-espionage work, for one. It's lazy to simply default to the approach that violates the Constitution.

As conservatives, we can never, ever accept any government action that violates the Constitution.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.