Official ***Battlefields I have Visited Thread***

10,027 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Rabid Cougar
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just rehit the Wilderness and also got to see Cold Harbor and Gaines Mill.
Noblemen06
AG
I squeezed into a great elective for my final weeks of school - doing a staff ride at Antietam on 18 May with one of the Army War College's top Civil War historians. Thrilled to get paid to learn about the Civil War (at least for the month).

I swung through Gettysburg on the way to Carlisle from Alexandria this morning and seemingly had the place to myself.
JABQ04
AG
Interesting way to stay at Gettysburg starting later this month, you can stay at the Slyder or Bushman Farm on the battlefield.

https://www.nps.gov/gett/planyourvisit/lodging.htm?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1A4n6Yy-3p5O8ljMygPwiZ1g0WExtE5RDk7WiV29X3zMkfyTtYGU4HjbI_aem_AW_c76gHRmIbf8vRAgdBTDJxkxrgP-DKTg_6-PdqiM0FjMSPGm6jbGrmPwRGgEBrWOf-vOxjrFu4hZTKgHR6tpop
Noblemen06
AG
Made it to Antietam, finally

JABQ04
AG
The monument to the 51st NY who, along with the 51st PA stormed Burnsides bridge is my favorite (Yankee) monument.

"The 51st New York, with the 51st Pennsylvania on its right, formed on the ridge in the rear of this position, moved forward at double quick, and at One P.M. carried the bridge at the point of the Bayonet. The passage was obstinately disputed."

Out of curiosity where did you stay, or are you local-ish to the area? I'm always jealous of people who live on that part of world and never more than a couple hour drive from hundreds of ACW battlefields.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

The monument to the 51st NY who, along with the 51st PA stormed Burnsides bridge is my favorite (Yankee) monument.

"The 51st New York, with the 51st Pennsylvania on its right, formed on the ridge in the rear of this position, moved forward at double quick, and at One P.M. carried the bridge at the point of the Bayonet. The passage was obstinately disputed."

Out of curiosity where did you stay, or are you local-ish to the area? I'm always jealous of people who live on that part of world and never more than a couple hour drive from hundreds of ACW battlefields.
My wife's cousin lives just north of Barlow's Knoll on Table Rock Road backed up to Rock Creek in Gettyburg. Early and Ewells men were camped in her yard. Her husband was the Dean of Admissions at Gettysburg College. He and Dale Gallon are big buds...

I stay at my brothers house in Aldie, VA. (Loudoun County) Right square in the middle of Mosby's Confederacy. One hour from Sharpsburg. 20 Minutes to Manassas. The entire Federal army marched within a stones throw of his house.. several times..

Teaches high school physics in Leesburg about three blocks from Balls Bluff.

Basically two hours from every major AND minor battlefield in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania.

His library reflects it too.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Noblemen06 said:

My relatives from Alabama were down that lane near the tree line in the 5th photo. 6th Alabama under John Gordon.
LMCane
Rabid Cougar said:

Noblemen06 said:

My relatives from Alabama were down that lane near the tree line in the 5th photo. 6th Alabama under John Gordon.

do you have anything from the 6th Alabama Regiment?

I am writing a book about Third Winchester where Gordon's Division plays a large role
LMCane
anything in his library about Third Winchester / Rebel cavalry in the Shenandoah 1864?
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Anyone done Franklin? Looking for a good book on Franklin. Prefer a good historic fiction like Shaara writes, but any good book will do.
My wife's cousin worked in Franklin, so we would visit a lot. It is a little disappointing compared to better preserved battlefields as the economic growth of that area has resulted in modern architecture sitting on top of most of what was the battlefield

There is about a 50 acre plot with some preserved homes, and the local historical trust has done a good job documenting and teaching the history of the event. Still, it ain't no Valley Forge where you can almost feel how it was back then.

I don't have a historic fiction book, but For Cause and Country is usually mentioned as the best book on the battle.

https://www.amazon.com/Cause-Country-Affair-Spring-Franklin/dp/0971744440

BQ78
AG
If you are looking for a historical novel on Franklin there are two awesome ones:

Hicks, The Widow of the South about the woman who owned Carton Plantation where the Confederate generals were all laid out after the battle.

Bahr's Black Flower about a Mississippi Soldier on the Nashville Campaign
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Hicks, The Widow of the South about the woman who owned Carton Plantation where the Confederate generals were all laid out after the battle.
Carnton Plantation is preserved and available for tours through the Battle of Franklin Trust. Definitely a thing to do if you head that way. We enjoyed the guided tour immensely. It served as a field hospital during that battle.

It has an "Eastern Flank" guided battlefield tour as well which gets into a lot of the specifics of the conflict.

You can also hit Puckett's Grocery & Restaurant for great food and live music. The Arrington Vineyard, owned by Brooks and Dunn, is pretty close by as well.

Worth a trip.

Rabid Cougar
AG
LMCane said:

anything in his library about Third Winchester / Rebel cavalry in the Shenandoah 1864?
I will ask....

I will personally be there in July...
LMCane
JABQ04 said:

Interesting way to stay at Gettysburg starting later this month, you can stay at the Slyder or Bushman Farm on the battlefield.

https://www.nps.gov/gett/planyourvisit/lodging.htm?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1A4n6Yy-3p5O8ljMygPwiZ1g0WExtE5RDk7WiV29X3zMkfyTtYGU4HjbI_aem_AW_c76gHRmIbf8vRAgdBTDJxkxrgP-DKTg_6-PdqiM0FjMSPGm6jbGrmPwRGgEBrWOf-vOxjrFu4hZTKgHR6tpop
oy! $400 a night!
Rabid Cougar
AG
LMCane said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Noblemen06 said:

do you have anything from the 6th Alabama Regiment?

I am writing a book about Third Winchester where Gordon's Division plays a large role
Regiment wise? Nothing that is not readily available.
LMCane
Rabid Cougar said:

LMCane said:

I will ask....

I will personally be there in July...
Many thanks RC!

Third Winchester was 19 September 1864.

so anything on Jubal Early, Phil Sheridan, John Gordon, George Patton, John Breckinridge, Robert Rhodes, George Custer, Torbert, Averell, Ranald Mackenzie, Emory Upton, Bryan Grimes.

Rutherford B. Hayes
William McKinley
LMCane
JABQ04 said:

My condo is Gaithersburg, MD

so about 1.25 hours from Antietam, 61 miles to Lot C at Gettysburg National Battlefield Park, 73 miles from Third Winchester Battlefield Park.

there is a great bed and breakfast to the north of Gettysburg. A bit pricey but I have been before:

https://www.innatwhiteoak.com/

I always stay at the Marriott Courtyard along the York Pike.

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/hargt-courtyard-gettysburg/overview/?scid=f2ae0541-1279-4f24-b197-a979c79310b0
JABQ04
AG
Last time I went to Gettysburg I slept on the ground right next to Meades HQ. Pretty cool
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

Last time I went to Gettysburg I slept on the ground right next to Meades HQ. Pretty cool
Yes! Very Cool! and Multiple Blue Stars ... but you are special..... wearing itchy wool clothing and all...

To be honest.. when I worked at Petersburg National Battlefield I camped many nights in Fort Stedman and the Crater.... I even spent the night in Jackson's lines on the right at Fredericksburg. Very near the pyramid monument where Meade's men broke Jackson's lines.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.