USS Indianapolis survivor has passed away

1,866 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Teacher_Ag
FSGuide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My uncle has passed away at the age of 98. He was one of the final two remaining survivors of the sinking of the Indy, and the final remaining Texan. He saw a lot of stuff during his time on board her:

Bombardment of Okinawa
Bombardment of Iwo Jima
Kamikaze impact on the ship
Through his binos on his watchpost on board, he saw the flag raised on Iwo Jima.

Graveside services 3pm Oct 9th in Memphis, TX with military honors if anyone happens to be in the area.

https://www.legacy.com/news/celebrity-deaths/cleatus-lebow-1924-2022-world-war-ii-uss-indianapolis-survivor
-------------------------------------------------------
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Shoefly!
AG
Greatest generation!
deadelephant98
AG
Wow. Here. It's amazing to hear about the lives some Ags lived. And again, wow.
CanyonAg77
AG
Sorry for your loss, what an amazing life! Just left town this morning for a 9 day trip, else I would have been honored to attend

To a previous poster, while we would love to claim him, I'm pretty sure Lebow did not attend A&M.

FSGuide, wasn't your uncle the one who's mom said she prayed for him, and God assured her he would survive the war?

Mom was right.
HarryJ33tamu
What an amazing man. They don't make 'em like that anymore - I bet he had some unbelievable stories. Sorry for your loss FS but it sounds like he lived a pretty full life
water turkey
Gob bless Mr. Lebow. Fair winds.....
Cen-Tex
AG
Sorry for your loss. The whole Indianapolis ordeal was pretty messed up. They were some pretty tough youngsters back in the 1940's.
schmellba99
AG
Sorry to hear that FS, knew he had a stroke a little while back and wasn't doing great. He was a hell of a man to hear you talk about him.

Here.
TX_COWDOC
AG
What a life he lived. Sorry for the loss of your Uncle…..but happy you were able
to have such a person in your life.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
Burrus86
AG
FSGuide said:

My uncle has passed away at the age of 98. He was one of the final two remaining survivors of the sinking of the Indy, and the final remaining Texan. He saw a lot of stuff during his time on board her:

Bombardment of Okinawa
Bombardment of Iwo Jima
Kamikaze impact on the ship
Through his binos on his watchpost on board, he saw the flag raised on Iwo Jima.

Graveside services 3pm Oct 9th in Memphis, TX with military honors if anyone happens to be in the area.

https://www.legacy.com/news/celebrity-deaths/cleatus-lebow-1924-2022-world-war-ii-uss-indianapolis-survivor
Did your uncle ever make it to Wichita Falls for the Iwo Jima and Indianapolis survivor's reunions that were held for several years? It was truly an honor to meet those gentlemen at those reunions. Towards the end, it was mostly family members that attended because there were fewer and fewer of these warriors alive.
FSGuide
He was pretty active in the Indy reunions for several years. He'd travel to wherever they were. This year it was in Fredericksburg and I went too. I'm not sure if he ever did any other type reunions like Iwo Jima
-------------------------------------------------------
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Cen-Tex
AG
According to the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans, of the 16 million that served, there are 167,000 veterans still alive in 2022. Vets die at a rate of 180/day. (as of Sept 30th)

aggiese72
AG
Here!!
CanyonAg77
AG
My daughter sent me this today

CanyonAg77
AG
https://www.amarillo.com/story/news/2022/10/12/uss-indianapolis-survivor-cleatus-lebow-laid-to-rest-in-memphis-texas/69552413007/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=gh-amarillogn-main
Teacher_Ag
AG
He was a really great man, and part of a great family.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.