June 27 1962 Texans Day in Glory!

2,662 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ja86
Rabid Cougar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Source

Gaines Mill - I have followed the path of their assault. It was not an easy walk and cannot imagine doing it under fire...

The Confederates began their assaults on this position about noon but were constantly beaten back. Brigade after the brigade had been ordered to charge. They had charged and met repulse before Whiting's division which consists, you know, of Law's brigade and ours reached the scene of action at 4 p.m. Said General Whiting to General Hood, pointing to a battery that was doing tremendous execution in the Confederate rank, 'That battery ought to be taken, General' 'Then why has it not been done?' asked Hood. 'Because the position is too strong,' answered Whiting. 'My brigade is composed of veterans, but they can do nothing with it.' 'I have a regiment that will capture it,' said Hood; and, galloping to Fourth Texas, dismounted and called it to attention. Then marching it by the flank to an open field, he gave the orders to bring it into the line of battle, and shouted, 'Forward !

Dismounted, Hood effectively replaced Colonel John Marshal as the leader of the 4th Texas on June 27. Hood led the 500 men of the regiment on a march toward the Union left flank. Initially, Law's Brigade was on Hood's right in the battle line, but Hood ordered his men past Law's on the Confederate right flank. The regiment was under constant fire from the well-positioned Union artillery. As they continued across the open field, the Federal enfilade grew to include sharp-shooters and infantry fire. Colonel Marshal was shot in the neck and fell from his horse. The wound was mortal. The troops continued forward and obeyed Hood's order to hold fire until he gave the command. The Federal position allowed for constant shell and shot to be pelted on the Confederate Texans, and "half way across the field, men began to drop, wounded or dead, from the ranks.

When Hood's men reached the top of a rise in the terrain, approximately 150 yards from Boatswain's Creek, they came upon numerous troops clinging to the ground who would go no further. It was at this point that Longstreet's and A.P. Hill's men were halted. The lieutenants of the companies the 4th encountered, thought to be Virginia troops, urged the Texans not to proceed further. Hood and his men ignored the warning and started down the other side of the rise toward the creek. Once the continued march began, there was an immediate eruption of Union firepower. Hood maintained the order to hold fire and urged his men forward.
When the 4th Texas got to within one hundred yards of Porter's line, Hood ordered to fix bayonets while on the move. Once that task was complete, Hood ordered the 4th Texas to charge at the double-quick. With the gleaming steel of the bayonets and a Rebel Yell that rivaled the sound of the artillery, the 4th Texas reached the first Union entrenchment on the hill. It unnerved Porter's men to the point that they "fled panic-stricken." According to Chaplain Davis, "it seemed as if every ball found a victim, so great was the slaughter."

When Porter's troops in the first line of battle fled to the rear, the men in the second row of entrenchments followed suit. At this point, the 4th Texas regiment was joined by the right-wing of the 18th Georgia group. Together these men pursued the Federals further up the hill toward the rear of the Union defensive position. As the 4th Texas and 18th Georgia chased the Yankee troops, the 1st and 5th Texas regiments, along with the South Carolina Legion at last reached the rise of the hill. These three regiments marched through heavily forested and swampy terrain, thus delaying joining the first two regiments on the attack. The united five regiments continued to pursue their enemy and finally collapsed the Federal left flank. The battle line crumbled, and the 4th Texas regiment reached the hill's summit and captured fourteen of the eighteen Federal artillery guns.

As Hood's troops continued their pursuit of the enemy, they were confronted by the 5th U.S. Cavalry. The brigade stood its ground. When the cavalry approached to within forty yards, the Rebels fired simultaneously, which effectively negated any threat of defeat at the hands of the cavalry battalion. Six of the seven Federal cavalry officers were killed or wounded in the attack, and of the 250 cavalry troops involved, only 100 survived. By the end of the day, the Confederate troops pushed their enemy to the Chickahominy River's southern bank. This was due in large part to Hood's Brigade, especially the 4th Texas regiment. The 1st and 5th also contributed greatly as both regiments took a significant number of prisoners. According to Private Polley, "The Fifth Texas captured two whole regiments of Yankees the Fourth New Jersey, raised in Newark, and the Eleventh Pennsylvania, raised in Philadelphia."

Conclusion

The brigade men, especially those of the 4th Texas regiment, we're exceptionally proud of their accomplishment that day. They were lauded by generals such as Longstreet and Jackson for their skill and valor and played an enormous role in saving the Confederate capital. The battle lasted from early morning until "the night came on and human slaughter ceased." According to Historian and Hood scholar, Harold B. Simpson, June 27, 1862, was the "greatest day of valor for the Fourth Texas Infantry."

Historians and military experts consider hood's Texas Brigade to be second only to the Stonewall Brigade in terms of tenacity and valor of all of the brigades that fought for the Confederacy during the American Civil War. Like Jackson, Hood was a leader who displayed no fear and projected a fierce sense of pride and determination among his men. Of the many leaders who commanded the brigade, Hood instilled an ethic and confidence in the men who comprised the brigade that still bears his name.

TheSheik
AG
we lose a fantastic tribute to a valorous and dedicated leader and the men who followed him, when Ft Hood gets renamed...
JABQ04
AG
Although I'm biased, I would maintain that the Texas Brigade was the finest brigade on either side of the entire war. Take other "elit" units such as the Iron Brigade, Stonewall Brigade, Irish Brigade, and they were all fought out and ceased to be effective before the war ended. The Texas brigade suffered heavy casualties even up to 80% casualties several times over and still remained a cohesive and effective unit until the final surrender.

JABQ04
AG
For as much as folks like to bash Hood, there's a reason the men decided to call themselves Hoods Texas Brigade long after the war was over
Sapper Redux
JABQ04 said:

Although I'm biased, I would maintain that the Texas Brigade was the finest brigade on either side of the entire war. Take other "elit" units such as the Iron Brigade, Stonewall Brigade, Irish Brigade, and they were all fought out and ceased to be effective before the war ended. The Texas brigade suffered heavy casualties even up to 80% casualties several times over and still remained a cohesive and effective unit until the final surrender.

The tendency was to not refill old regiments but to build new ones. The Iron Brigade did last to the end of the war and suffered more casualties than any other brigade. The Texas Brigade was restructured multiple times during the war.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Sapper Redux said:

JABQ04 said:

The tendency was to not refill old regiments but to build new ones. The Iron Brigade did last to the end of the war and suffered more casualties than any other brigade. The Texas Brigade was restructured multiple times during the war.

The 1st, 4th and 5th Texas we're in the brigade for the entire war. The 18th Georgia and Hampton Legion were Alonso brigaded with them until after Sharpsburg . The 3rd Arkansas was then placed with them for the duration of the war.
JABQ04
AG
What cougar said. It only had one the one change when it got the 3 Arkansas (affectionately know at times as the 3rd Texas) in November of 1862. From then until the end, it stayed the 1st, 4th, 5th Texas and 3rd Arkansas.
BQ78
AG
The Confederate way of replenishing armies was far superior to the US way. The Confederates tended to replace men in existing regiments and the veterans took the FNGs under their wing and taught them the tricks of the trade. Meanwhile the Federals raised new regiments of green men who all had to re-learn the lessons of war the other regiments already knew.

The differences in approach showed up significantly during the Petersburg Campaign where the Confederates still had the most effective offensive units that could sustain an attack. Federal troops when ordered to attack were slaughtered, fled or if veteran units hit the ground as quick as they could. Grant's inability to sustain an attack during that campaign was his biggest limitation.
Sapper Redux
Won't argue with that. Not sure why they did it that way save maybe political concerns and patronage.
BQ78
AG
That would probably make an interesting study. I understand better what happened with the Confederates more so than the Federals. Part of it would be the early adoption of the draft by the Confederacy than the Union. Until the draft came in 1863 the Federals raised units and not soldiers.

On both sides veterans tended to look down on FNGs and did not want them "polluting" their "special" unit. So there was that aspect of it too. Even the Confederates felt that way but some were smart enough to overcome those prejudices. The Federals just let their veteran units dwindle away versus adding FNGs to veteran outfits.

There was also the age and social differences. For the most part the soldiers of 1861 were young and unmarried. The later guys were more propertied, married and older. Neither had much in common with each other.

By adopting the draft earlier in 1862 and the congress passing the Bounty and Furlough Act, which provided bounties to men who enlisted and joined existing units, the Confederacy created an army with a greater fighting spirit.
BQ78
AG
And I thought this thread was going to be about the astronauts coming to the Manned Space Center.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Social and Cultural Dynamics of Soldiering in Hood's Texas Brigade,

In researching the practice of recruiting in Texas by the Texas Brigade I came across this interesting article in the Journal of Southern History from 2001.

Texans didn't take kindly to officers appointed by the Confederate Army, mainly officers from other states (had not previously lived in Texas). They accepted Hood right away because he had fought the Comanche on the Texas frontier and his hell bent for leather attack mode was to their liking.

Pretty interesting article.
Rabid Cougar
AG
90% of the men who served in the Brigade volunteered in 1861-1862.
New recruits (conscripts) boosted the total strength by just 4% in 1963.
One out of five conscripts was a paid replacement.
Men who had returned to Texas to recover from wounds and sickness could no longer return to Virginia after July of 1863. This also kept the Brigade from sending officers back to Texas to recruit. By 1864 fewer than 12 men arrived from Texas.

"Hoods Texas Brigade; The Soldiers and families of the Confederacy's Most Celebrated Unit
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Social and Cultural Dynamics of Soldiering in Hood's Texas Brigade,

In researching the practice of recruiting in Texas by the Texas Brigade I came across this interesting article in the Journal of Southern History from 2001.

Texans didn't take kindly to officers appointed by the Confederate Army, mainly officers from other states (had not previously lived in Texas). They accepted Hood right away because he had fought the Comanche on the Texas frontier and his hell bent for leather attack mode was to their liking.

Pretty interesting article.
Wow! Thanks for sharing that article. Fantastic reading. The article pulls back the curtain on more than just the dynamics in Hood's Texas Brigade. For me it shines a light on the role that the relationship between Revolutionary War soldiers and their leaders had on the social contract among Americans for ever more.

Very interesting.

PS - I knew the Texas Brigade had a stout reputation, but damn. Also, the demographics of each of the Texas Regiments is very interesting. Mostly "middle class" and a lot of lawyers in leadership roles.

And, this article has given me the name of the next band I start - Charivari!!!! Perfect!
JABQ04
AG
Cougar, slightly off topic of the Texas Brigade but Civil War related, I'll be flying to Gettysburg Friday to do a living history of the 1 Minnesota with a recreation of their attack on the evening of July 2. That's a story that doesn't get enough attention and overshadowed by the action on Little Round Top
Jabin
Quote:

The Confederates tended to replace men in existing regiments and the veterans took the FNGs under their wing and taught them the tricks of the trade. Meanwhile the Federals raised new regiments of green men who all had to re-learn the lessons of war the other regiments already knew.
Out of curiosity, other than simply hitting the ground, what were the tricks of the trade and the lessons of war that the veterans knew?
JABQ04
AG
Trust. They knew who they could trust standing shoulder to shoulder on the firing line. The camaraderie of serving with someone for several years and then all of a sudden new people show up. Skills around camp, starting fires in the rain, tough campaigning, who could cook and who couldn't, who could be expedient shelters. What we call today field craft.
BQ78
AG
JABQ04 gave a good response on the mindset of veterans. Green troops were too erratic and you didn't know what to expect. They could freeze under fire, run away or charge until they were nearly wiped out (see 1st Maine Heavy Artillery at Petersburg). Veterans were almost as afraid of getting shot or killed by an FNG than the enemy. Until you saw a man under fire and saw how he would react, you did not know what you had.

Regimental and state pride for the veterans was a very big thing they did not want to lose their flag in battle and they did not want their regiment to be the first to break in a battle, it was a highly motivating thing.

I also took your question another way, as to how veterans avoided getting killed so to that they would help wounded comrades to the rear, go back for ammunition or just say they were sick (the other veterans called that "cannon fever").

In the end, it was not flags, country, state or the folks back home that were the biggest incentives for the veterans. It was the shared experience of excitement, trauma and sensory overload with their fellows that made their ultimate sense of loyalty to each other.
Sapper Redux
Yeah, if g-g-g-great grandpappy served in a combat role and survived that war, I can almost guarantee he either ran or was "sick" at least once.

The biggest response of the veterans was the begin to fortify a position as soon as they stopped. Grant had a few things working against him as he started the Overland Campaign. Not least amongst them was that the defender had an ever greater advantage when they were allowed to fortify.
BQ78
AG
Even George McClellan recognized the Feds were doing it wrong and said something about it but was ignored. He said he would prefer to get 50,000 troops added to old regiments versus getting 100,000 men in new regiments.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

Cougar, slightly off topic of the Texas Brigade but Civil War related, I'll be flying to Gettysburg Friday to do a living history of the 1 Minnesota with a recreation of their attack on the evening of July 2. That's a story that doesn't get enough attention and overshadowed by the action on Little Round Top

I have done living history on the 4th of July at Gettysburg several years with the park service . Burned lots of powder doing demonstrations. That place is.a zoo. It's hotter than hell and the visitors are stupid. Also took part in the 125th Anniversary re-enactment of Pickets Charge. Very surreal. Never understood why they didn't go across that field in columns and then move into lines once they got into rifle range. Able to move much quicker and navigate obstacles better.

1st Minnesota… yes . Their sacrifice saved the day. Probably THE most important charge of the war.

Have fun and safe travels.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Jabin said:

Quote:

The Confederates tended to replace men in existing regiments and the veterans took the FNGs under their wing and taught them the tricks of the trade. Meanwhile the Federals raised new regiments of green men who all had to re-learn the lessons of war the other regiments already knew.
Out of curiosity, other than simply hitting the ground, what were the tricks of the trade and the lessons of war that the veterans knew?
Best example of this is the mini series "Band of Brothers". As the Toccoa men become fewer and fewer watch how they treat replacements. They were not trusted to do something stupid to get the veterans themselves killed and not so much as not to get the FNGs killed. They didnt give 2 sh8ts about the FNGs. Even Toccoa men who were out of action for one reason or another and missed major battles were treated as outsiders.

JABQ84 can vouch that it was still very much the attitude of the American solder in Afghanistan. Until the FNG proved himself to his squad , they would always consider him an outsider. I know I was when I went out with them. I knew I finally earned their trust when they presented me with their unit (26th Div) patch to be worn as a combat patch .It meant the world to me and still does. And I even treated new DoD civlians when they showed up to work with me at Fob Wright in Afghanistan. (Yes that FoB of Operation Redwing/ Lone Surviver infamy) Didnt trust them as far as I could spit on them when we were outside the wire.

Rongagin71
AG
A ballad about Hood's Brigade...

Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

Caught the Facebook Live video of y'all drilling Saturday. Pretty cool. Brought back lots of good memories of past campaigns.
JABQ04
AG
It was a great weekend. Very hot though, but so was it then. It was a great experience going across the same ground towards Plum Run 159 years and almost to the minute of their assault. The crowd enjoyed 262 men going across and just on the other side of a small rise and then seeing the 47 designated survivors come back and reform the regiment.

This is the only picture i got, when we posed with his son after the charge and program. I'm the one in the middle.

Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

It was a great weekend. Very hot though, but so was it then. It was a great experience going across the same ground towards Plum Run 159 years and almost to the minute of their assault. The crowd enjoyed 262 men going across and just on the other side of a small rise and then seeing the 47 designated survivors come back and reform the regiment.

This is the only picture i got, when we posed with his son after the charge and program. I'm the one in the middle.

Very nice photos of impressions on the Gettysburg Facebook Page today. No farbs there.

JABQ04
AG
Sept 17 I'll be in Sharpsburg, MD doing the 4th TX. Same group of guys.

So one of the cool aspects of the 1 MN event was at 1700 on July 2nd we moved to the area around the monument to recreate the charge in conjunction with a NPS program. A quick thunderstorm came up and hit us with (some much needed rain and wind) and cooled the temp down to the 70s from the 90s. Storm came from the same direction as Longstreets echelon attack. And the rumor/ multiple people vouching for it, was that the wind blew over most of the rifle stacks leaving 40 some odd still standing. Close to the number of survivors. I never counted personally but saw the majority of the stacks fall. I was too busy enjoying the sudden temp drop and cool rain.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Facebook
Excellent 1st Minn photos in todays Gettysburg FB page. If you have FB well worth the effort. Not many times that you cans see a photo of a full Civil War regiment in line of battle.
ja86
AG
American battlefield trust had a short video showing some of the battalion drill

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.