Adobe Walls

2,077 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Trench55
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry to post two threads, but I assume that most of you never go to the Panhandle Board. But I thought you might enjoy a site report for the Second Adobe Walls Battle site.
CanyonAg77
AG
Sorry for the double post

https://texags.com/forums/39/topics/3290730
Bighunter43
AG
That was a great post! Thanks for cross posting it over here.....I'm glad you mentioned Isatai'i....also known as White Eagle and his "medicine"!! I know he was known as something else as well....lol.....I think if I'd have been one of his warriors I'd have said "hey, let's sprinkle some of your magic dust on you....then let me shoot you and see if it works!" (Before the battle)
BrazosBendHorn
AKA "Coyote Poop"?
CanyonAg77
AG
BrazosBendHorn said:

AKA "Coyote Poop"?
Coyote "Kitty"
pilgrim82
AG
When I read about Isatai I wondered if he might be a "contraire?"
Trench55
AG
Thanks for posting this CanyonAg77. There is a legend in my family that a member of the family was at one of the Adobe Walls fights, but after reading your links it looks like it just one of those "family legends" that has no basis in fact. I suspect most families have those, and this isn't the only one in my family for which I can find no verification. Always wonder where these stories came from.
CanyonAg77
AG
There were about 400 Union and Indian scouts at 1st Adobe Walls. Plus anywhere from 1,000 to 7,000 Indians. And, of course, the 28 buffalo hunters and 700 Indians at the 2nd. So it's not impossible.

Does the family legend mention which side they were on? Lots more Indian ancestors.

Seriously, the 1st battle had a lot of folks on the Union side. Currently reading a book on AW 1, and it mentions that one of the wounded later came to Tascosa in the Texas Panhandle. His wife is buried there.
Trench55
AG
The guy's name was David Crockett Riley. His father, James Riley, is reported to have been a friend of Davy Crockett, but no verification of that. Doubt he would have served in the Union army. Could have ben a scout I suppose, but I doubt it. According to the some older locals he had a reputation as a frontiersman.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Very cool post. Thanks!
JoeAggie1010
I was at one of the Adobe Wall sites back in the '90s. I was on a job and we stumbled on the markers. The site itself is unassuming. If the markers hadn't been there, we probably would have had no clue of the significance. Fascinating to read up on. Thanks for sharing.
CanyonAg77
AG
https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth488972/

https://www.stoppingpoints.com/texas/sights.cgi?marker=D.+C.+Riley+House&cnty=gillespie

Quote:

Four generations have lived in this house built in early 1870s by Crabapple community pioneer David Crockett Riley (1840-1900). Stone for 24 outer walls and 18 partitions came from a hill a mile north; timbers were hand-hewn from farm trees; milled lumber hauled from Austin (90 mi. SE). With a purchased lock for model, rest of door locks were made in farm shop. Workmen were paid 50 cents and a pint of Crockett Riley's whiskey (home-distilled) for a day's work. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1972
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/revolvers/colt-revolvers---antique-percussion/colt-3rd-model-dragoon-revolver-from-collecting-texas---gillespie-county--texas-history---made-1860.cfm?gun_id=101887238

Quote:

Colt 3rd Model Dragoon; Serial No. 19342; Made 1860; Identified to David Crockett Riley of Crabapple, Gillespie Co., Texas; He was Enlisted in Capt. Henry T. Davis's Company Mounted Texas Frontier Regiment, Texas State Troops on March 4, 1862 at Gillespie Co.,
If the same guy, he would have not been fighting with the Union at Adobe Walls. Also not on the monument to the participants in Adobe Walls II.
Trench55
AG
Thanks CanyonAg77. One of Crockett Riley's descendants still lives on the property. As I said, there are several questionable legends in our family. But, yes, that is the same Crockett Riley.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.