Tammany Hall

1,572 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgGrad99
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone read a good book, detailing the history of Tammany Hall? It seems their involvement keeps coming up, as I read other biographies, etc. Their influence was pretty far reaching, for a long time.

I've found a few books on Amazon, but they all deal with a particular person, or time period.

Curious if anyone could suggest a good read on Tammany Hall.

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Plunkitt of Tammany Hall Insider goings on -good.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
The documentary "Gangs of New York" starring Leonardo DiCaprio deals quite a bit with Tammany and Boss Tweed.
AgGrad99
AG
Thank you. I'll be sure to check it out.
AgGrad99
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Plunkitt of Tammany Hall Insider goings on -good.

Thanks. I saw that one, but didn't know if it centered on one man, or the whole machine. Might grab it and give it a go...
BQ78
AG
Oh my, that is in no way a documentary!
AgGrad99
AG
Im pretty sure he was joking.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
BQ78 said:

Oh my, that is in no way a documentary!

What?!??
Sapper Redux
Machine Made by Golway is worth reading. It takes a more ground-level view of Tammany Hall. It looks very different to Irish and German Catholics, for example, than native New Yorkers.
AggieZUUL
AG
SWC Ag said:

The documentary "Gangs of New York" starring Leonardo DiCaprio deals quite a bit with Tammany and Boss Tweed.
AgGrad99
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Machine Made by Golway is worth reading. It takes a more ground-level view of Tammany Hall. It looks very different to Irish and German Catholics, for example, than native New Yorkers.
Thanks.

I might check that one out. I had read a review that it made them a sympathetic figure/group...as if they were a charitable organization, rather than a strong arm of politicians, etc.

Maybe I just need to write a book about Tammany
Sapper Redux
AgGrad99 said:

Sapper Redux said:

Thanks.

I might check that one out. I had read a review that it made them a sympathetic figure/group...as if they were a charitable organization, rather than a strong arm of politicians, etc.

Maybe I just need to write a book about Tammany

I'm not saying it's the view of the organization you need to take, but it did serve a group that was otherwise marginalized, and there's a reason beyond high level corruption that they had support. I think that tends to get lost in the political histories of the era.
AgGrad99
AG
I think that's a common theme throughout history...One group taking advantage of another in need of help.

I'll definitely give it a read
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.