USS Thresher

1,643 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JABQ04
Ag_of_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is.....a sad revelation. The man in the video was a navy chief, and a sonar operator his whole career btw. 37 pings, talking to another sub, and they've never really admitted to it

agracer
AG
Did they ever figure out why went down in the first place?
CT'97
AG
Quote:

The Navy officially said improperly welded piping ruptured onboard the ship, causing a seawater leak that eventually shorted out the ship's electrical system. Crews were unable to reach equipment to stop the flooding in time, and the ballast tanks failed to work properly. Naval historian Normal Friedman believes inadequate training exacerbated these problems, with the crew unable to respond quickly enough to save the ship.

Seems, even with the release of these documents the answer is inconclusive and probably a result of a variety of errors/failures stacking on each other.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
JABQ04
AG
Most of the way through. Very interesting stuff, however when he couldn't correctly identify SOS via Morse code it kind of threw me off. I really wish he would have better organized his video and streamlined his thoughts before making his video.

All in all I don't know what they were hearing but I don't feel it was the Thresher or any of her crew.
BQ_90
AG
The question I had is even if they could communicate with the Thresher, what could have they done, the Seawolf did have the gear to do any kind of rescue.

also is it that big of a surprise the govt lied about the event, I'm sure this was common occurrence with accidents or incidents during the cold war.
BrazosBendHorn
Watching this kind of reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode, The Thirty-Fathom Grave (1963) ...
Ag_of_08
AG
The main frame pings where Thresher. The rest may have not been, but I agree with him the main frame pings had one origin.

And yeah he screwed the Morse code up... he was irritated and misspoke.
JABQ04
AG
I'd be curious if any other vessels reported hearing any pings, taps or noise from Thresher. I understood the implosion was caught on sonar or whatever the day before Seawolf arrived. I guess not saying it's impossible, but I find this highly doubtful anyone was alive on Thresher. I tend to agree with some stuff I read about this on Reddit, that there was so much confusion and noise on the surface and that Seawolf had to repeatedly ask other ships to shut up that noises could from any source. For all the contact Seawolf said to have had with Thresher, who ever may have been alive wasnt following the exact instructions given. I agree the 37 pings are an interesting conundrum. I also find it odd they could never ascertain the exact depth of Thresher during this time. I'm not saying this wasn't possible, and if new evidence is presented when more info is given I'll believe it, but still don't think anyone was alive on the Thresher 24 hours later.

ETA: since the initial implosion was caught on April 10, and we're assuming the Thresher only partially imposed and managed to stay in one spot, wouldn't we have evidence of the second and final implosion a couple days later?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.