"TAKE HER DOWN"

1,920 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CanyonAg77
Teacher_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As a "roadtrip coordinator" Dad and history nerd I couldn't not stop at the USS Alabama on our way to Florida a few weeks ago. I wanted my little girls to see a real piece of history and man was it impressive. To be honest I didn't even realize the USS Drum was there, too, and I found it just as interesting as the Alabama. On my way there I stopped and read the monument to MoH recipient Commander Howard Gilmore. I had never heard of his incredible story before.

Just another of so many stories from that conflict that makes you realize what an enormously noble generation of Americans they were.

https://www.navalsubleague.org/links/historymuseums/submarine-force-medal-honor-recipients/cdr-howard-w-gilmore-1943/
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That is a great museum with the battleship, submarine, and the hangar full of warbirds. Was the B-52 still parked outside?
Teacher_Ag
AG
It is! Unfortunately it started pouring during our visit so we didn't get to wander around as much as I'd have liked, but we got lots of time on the Luck A, The Drum, and in the hangar!
Maximus_Meridius
AG
My family made several trips to Disneyworld growing up, and we always, ALWAYS stopped at the Alabama and NAS Pensacola. There are pictures of my brother and I sitting in the AA mounts of the Alabama, I think I was around 7 or 8, he would have been 5 or 6. Some wonderful times, and for my brother it created a deep love for all things naval (and he works for the navy, too).

Good on you for exposing your kids to that history.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
We did that too.

Back in 2000, my sister planned a trip to Disney with her 6-year-old, hubs, and our dad, and I invited myself along at the last minute. When we were cruising through Mobile, I suggested a "brief" stop to tour the Alabama - and was promptly told that did not fit into the timing of arrival at WDW. So later, I hopped in my truck and went out there by myself to tour the Bama site and spend a day at Pensacola NAS. Pensacola is an incredible museum if you have any interest in military aviation.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Haha great minds think alike!

Maximus_Meridius
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

We did that too.

Back in 2000, my sister planned a trip to Disney with her 6-year-old, hubs, and our dad, and I invited myself along at the last minute. When we were cruising through Mobile, I suggested a "brief" stop to tour the Alabama - and was promptly told that did not fit into the timing of arrival at WDW. So later, I hopped in my truck and went out there by myself to tour the Bama site and spend a day at Pensacola NAS. Pensacola is an incredible museum if you have any interest in military aviation.
Pensacola is probably my favorite air museum to date (granted, I have not yet made it to the Udvar-Hazy annex...which is embarrassing considering I'm only 4 hours away...), I honestly think it's better than USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson. We spent hours in there. My brother and I didn't mind, dad of course was in heaven, but poor mom...she usually just went to the snack bar and sat there after the first hour and a half or so.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

We did that too.

Pensacola is probably my favorite air museum to date (granted, I have not yet made it to the Udvar-Hazy annex...which is embarrassing considering I'm only 4 hours away...), I honestly think it's better than USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson. We spent hours in there. My brother and I didn't mind, dad of course was in heaven, but poor mom...she usually just went to the snack bar and sat there after the first hour and a half or so.
I've been to the Air & Space Museum on the Mall but never to Udvar-Hazy. I did that trip to Pensacola I referenced back in early 2001. Later in that year, I was planning another road trip that would have taken me to Dayton, Ohio to see the USAF Museum (that trip was going to be a long one that would have ended with stops at Niagara Falls and a baseball game in Boston) ... but then 9/11 happened, and shortly after that, I got engaged to my now-wife and all of those kind of solo trips ceased. But eventually, I'm going to take the family to these types of places.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
A couple of photos from my most recent trip through Pensacola and Mobile in 2011 - the one on the right is our daughter, now a sophomore in high school, and the one on the left, our adopted cousin, is a sophomore at A&M. Doing their best Slim Pickens impersonation here.

This was on our way back from our first trip to Disney, yet amazingly the girls had plenty of energy remaining to climb onto all the guns, crawl into airplane cockpits, while mom and I were dragging. (The little girl in the green is the daughter of family friends that we traveled with on that trip, girls are best friends to this day).
agracer
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

We did that too.

. That is the best aviation museum I've ever been too. Plan on spending the day and the only food inside is McDonalds.
CanyonAg77
AG
Udvar is fantastic for having historic aircraft. For instance, I know of a few B-29s on display, but they have the Enola Gay.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.