Remember the Liberty

2,486 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Pro Sandy
Pro Sandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
June 8, 1967, the USS LIBERTY was attacked by Israeli military forces, while she was operating in international waters off the Sinai Peninsula during the Six Day War.

While Israel claimed it was a case of mistaken identity, and investigations in both countries concluded the same, many survivors and other investigators claim it was intentional. The existence of the following flag seems to counter the claim by Israel that the LIBERTY was not flying a US flag.

This flag flown over the LIBERTY during the attack is on display at the National Cryptologic Museum at Fort Meade. Raised after the first flag over the ship was shot away during the attack, Israeli boats continued the attack.

34 Americans were killed in the attack, 171 injured. Those killed were:
CT3 William B. Allenbaugh, USN
LCDR Philip M. Armstrong, Jr. USN
SN Gary R. Blanchard, USN
Allen M. Blue, NSA Civilian (CT2 Reserve)
SN Francis Brown, USN
CT2 Ronnie J. Campbell, USN
CT3 Jerry L. Converse, USN
CT2 Robert B. Eisenberg, USN
CT3 Jerry L. Goss, USN
CTI Curtis A. Graves, USN
CTSN Lawrence P. Hayden, USN
CTI Warren E. Hersey, USN
CTSN Alan Higgins, USN
SN Carl L. Hoar, USN
CT2 Richard W. Keene, Jr., USN
CTSN James L. Lenau, USN
CTC Raymond E. Linn, USN
CTI James M. Lupton, USN
CT3 Duane R. Marggraf, USN
CTSN David W. Marlborough, USN
CT2 Anthony P. Mendle, USN
CTSN Carl C. Nygren, USN
LT James C. Pierce, USN
ICFN David Skolak, USN
CTI John C. Smith, Jr., USN
CTC Melvin D. Smith, USN
PC2 John C. Spicher, USN
GMG3 Alexander N. Thompson, Jr., USN
CT3 Thomas R. Thornton, USN
CT3 Philippe C. Tiedtke, USN
LT Stephen S. Toth, USN
CTI Frederick J. Walton, USN
Sgt Jack L. Raper, USMC
Cpl Edward E. Rehmeyer, USMC

They are enshrined on the National Cryptologic Memorial inside the NSA.

Remember the fallen
terata
AG
Thank you, Pro Sandy.
Human beings understand reason compassion and dignity. Predators understand strength.
pmart
Thank you for posting, this is something I didn't know anything about. After reading some of the explanations and reports, it certainly sounds like it could have been intentional or at least gross negligence. I am not arguing the claim that it could be intentional, but is there a theory about why Israel may have tried to provoke its biggest ally? It seems they would have had a lot to lose.
traxter
Who knows at this point. I've heard the idea that it was intended to be a false flag to draw the US into the war on Israel's side. I mean, they knocked out communicates almost immediately, and if they had sunk it who knows what the history books would say without witnesses.

Others say they knew they could get away with claiming it was a mistake, and it would blind our intel in the area, and allow them to do more offensive operations we were hoping they wouldn't do. I mean our white house supposedly recalled scrambled fighters sent to protect the ship when they found out it was Israel, instead of just telling those fighters it was a mistake and not to shoot on the Israeli planes/boats. The way we treated those sailors is pretty disgraceful in my opinion.
UTExan
I wonder if we should also commemorate the USS Pueblo?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
pmart
Thank you for providing the info.
Interestingly enough, Texas has a law that prohibits state funds to go to a contractor entity that is boycotting Israel. It shows me that our relationship with Israel is more complicated than I thought.
tmaggies
AG
Horrible incident but we still support Israel. Seems an odd time to bring this up considering current liberal trends.
Pro Sandy
AG
It was the anniversary of the attack. That is enough reason to remember those who died while in service to our country. Your politics shouldn't dictate when to remember the fallen.
tmaggies
AG
Pro Sandy said:

It was the anniversary of the attack. That is enough reason to remember those who died while in service to our country. Your politics shouldn't dictate when to remember the fallen.

If you truly love our country you better pay attention to politics.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Get out of here with that noise. This thread was made on the history board for memorial purposes.
Pro Sandy
AG
55 years ago today.

Remember the fallen.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.