Who is the most accomplished human of all time?

7,076 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ2017
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
.. other than religious figures.

After watching a documentary on Julius Caesar, he currently gets my vote. What does this board think?
Mville Ag
AG
Alexander the Great
aTmAg
AG
Mville Ag said:

Alexander the Great
I was listening to a Dan Carlin podcast about the Khans, and he made an interesting point about Alexander the Great: that he was basically gifted the world's greatest army. That his father deserved much of his credit. He was making the case that Genghis Khan's accomplishments were more impressive than Alexander for that reason.

While Caesar didn't create the Roman military system himself, he did start out as a rank and file soldier (his dad picked the losing side of a civil war and basically lost everything because of it). And he did defeat a numerically superior Roman army lead by another great Roman general. So it can't be said that he basically took on a bunch of comparative lightweights his entire military career. And then there are his accomplishments during his short time as defacto leader of Rome. He created the modern calendar. July is named after him. Pretty much every modern political leader consciously or subconsciously compares themselves to Ceasar in some way. More so than Alexander or Genghis, in my opinion (who is my current #2).... Anyway, that is my thinking on the matter.
BQ78
AG
Michelangelo
Isaac Newton
Thomas Jefferson
Napoleon Bonaparte

I know you said no religion but if allowed, I'd say St. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas.
Jabin
You'd have to throw Aristotle, Leonardo da Vinci and Newton in there.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Ben Franklin.

-major contributions with the lightning rod and battery.
-improved the mail system in the colonies
-created a philosophical society and a first version of a public library
-fire engines
-created a country
-representative to Parliament
rebag00
AG
Leonardo DaVinci
Rabid Cougar
AG
Thomas Jefferson... "A bill of rights is what the people are entitled to against every government on earth, general or particular, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."

Quad Dog
AG
Leonhard Euler
Quote:

In mathematics and physics, many topics are named in honor of Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler (17071783), who made many important discoveries and innovations. Many of these items named after Euler include their own unique function, equation, formula, identity, number (single or sequence), or other mathematical entity. Many of these entities have been given simple and ambiguous names such as Euler's function, Euler's equation, and Euler's formula.

Euler's work touched upon so many fields that he is often the earliest written reference on a given matter. In an effort to avoid naming everything after Euler, some discoveries and theorems are attributed to the first person to have proved them after Euler

FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Augustine and Aquinas, while certainly seminal religious figures, were also tremendously influential philosophers whose influence on western civilization are probably incalculable.
JABQ04
AG
No love for TR?
Agthatbuilds
I was about to mention TR. At least in the more modern world-

I didn't realize he had survived an assassination attempt in 1912.

Off top of my head:
Medal of honor
Youngest president at the time
Named the white house
National parks
Fixed football
Panama canal
Negotiated the end of a war
Gov of ny
Vice president
Led to creation of fda
Accomplished writer
River Roosevelt
JABQ04
AG
Secretary of the Navy (Assistant)

You covered most everything else I knew.
cbr
AG
Karl Marx has ruined humanity far beyond any other human ever. If you think that is an accomplishment.
AgRyan04
Manti Te'o?
Rex Racer
AG
cbr said:

Karl Marx has ruined humanity far beyond any other human ever. If you think that is an accomplishment.
Don't forget Friedrich Engels.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Gavrilo Princip
AggieZUUL
AG
If we're talking resumes...George H.W. Bush's is quite impressive...

If we're talking who made biggest impact... Lincoln? Robert Oppenheimer? Bill Gates? Steve Jobs?

Kaa98
MF Barnes
BQ78
AG
In a restricted field, it's hard to beat John Browning.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Albert Sweitzer (sp)
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Ulrich
Besides me?
Eliminatus
AG
BQ78 said:

Michelangelo
Isaac Newton
Thomas Jefferson
Napoleon Bonaparte

I know you said no religion but if allowed, I'd say St. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas.

Napoleon is who I first thought of.

Some of these suggestions I would say are more localized to a specific country, amazing as they were. But some of these people shook the entire world and that puts in another league in my eyes.
Ulrich
Military: Alexander
Empire Builder: Ghengis Khan
Philosopher: Plato
Scientist: Einstein
Economist: Adam Smith
Political theorist: Machiavelli
Greek: Pericles
Roman: Julius Caesar
Politician: Hitler
Strategist: Sun Tzu
Whatever exactly Confucius was: Confucius

Honorable mention: Liebnitz, Napoleon, Aristotle, Bacon, Marx, Keynes, Von Neuman, Alexander Hamilton, Suleiman, Newton, Grotius, Teddy Roosevelt, Hume, Lao Tzu, Cyrus

Left out for religious reasons: Jesus Christ, Siddhartha Gautama, Mohammed (seriously considered including him under military)
Rex Racer
AG
Johannes Gutenberg
AverageJones
AG
Not sure who my answer would be right now, but in 20 years it will probably be Elon Musk
aalan94
AG
Quote:

Off top of my head:
Medal of honor
Youngest president at the time
Named the white house
National parks
Fixed football
Panama canal
Negotiated the end of a war
Gov of ny
Vice president
Led to creation of fda
Accomplished writer
River Roosevelt
Not only did he earn the Medal of Honor, but the Nobel Prize as well.
That's a unique pair right there.
IIIHorn
King Solomon
Aust Ag
AG
Ulrich said:

Military: Alexander
Empire Builder: Ghengis Khan
Philosopher: Plato
Scientist: Einstein
Economist: Adam Smith
Political theorist: Machiavelli
Greek: Pericles
Roman: Julius Caesar
Politician: Hitler
Strategist: Sun Tzu
Whatever exactly Confucius was: Confucius

Honorable mention: Liebnitz, Napoleon, Aristotle, Bacon, Marx, Keynes, Von Neuman, Alexander Hamilton, Suleiman, Newton, Grotius, Teddy Roosevelt, Hume, Lao Tzu, Cyrus

Left out for religious reasons: Jesus Christ, Siddhartha Gautama, Mohammed (seriously considered including him under military)
I'm drawing a blank, but has there been an Academy Award-level movie made based on the lives of any of the above (besides The Last Temptation)?
terata
AG
Sir Hiram Stevens Maxim
Human beings understand reason compassion and dignity. Predators understand strength.
BQ78
AG
Downfall won a best foreign film award and features Hitler

Cleopatra was a terrible bust of an epic film but still won some Academy Awards and Rex Harrison got a Best Actor nominee as Julius Caesar.
Agthatbuilds
Random- watched downfall this weekend.

I about threw up when mrs. Goebbels murdered her children.
dcAg
Nikola Tesla
Marco Polo
Cen-Tex
AG
Joe Biden. Won a US presidential election during the COVID epidemic, with 81 million votes while campaigning from his home.
Spyderman
AG
Heddy Lamarr
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.