What happens if Hitler pulls the 6th army back?

9,426 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by nortex97
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's say for a moment that Hitler does the wise thing at Stalingrad and allows the 6th to pull back and reestablish itself in contact with the rest of the eastern front. Does the destruction of the Nazis in the Soviet Union still happen? Or do you think they can counter the Soviet masses from more consolidated positions?
Old RV Ag
AG
Likely just extends the war by a few months. However, that could be a huge deal if it delayed long enough that they considered using the first atomic bombs on Germany instead.
Rabid Cougar
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Let's say for a moment that Hitler does the wise thing at Stalingrad and allows the 6th to pull back and reestablish itself in contact with the rest of the eastern front. Does the destruction of the Nazis in the Soviet Union still happen? Or do you think they can counter the Soviet masses from more consolidated positions?
They are killed or captured at a later date at a location further to the west.

War still ends 8 May 1945.
BQ78
AG
The problem for 6th Army wasn't whether they held or retreated, it was the Rumanians on their flanks that folded like Mussolini's arms.
Smeghead4761
As hinted at above, the problem wasn't necessarily Hitler's orders. Once the Romanians and Italians on the flanks crumbled and the encirclement was complete, it didn't really matter what Hitler ordered.

For 6th Army to have been saved in any form, Paulus, and probably more importantly the Army Group B commander, von Weichs, would have needed to recognize what was happening once the Red Army launched Operation Uranus and pulled 6th Army back as soon as the offensive started, with or without orders/approval from Hitler.

Of course, any such order almost certainly would have caused said commander(s) to be sacked, leading to command confusion at the worst possible time.

At any rate, assuming 6th Army could move fast enough to escape the encirclement, it would have been mostly just the soldiers, with very little in the way of armor or heavy weapons. They most likely would have been killed, wounded or captured at Kursk in 1943 or during Bagration in 1944.

Would it maybe have delayed the Red Army enough to allow the British or Americans to reach Berlin first? Who knows.

If it extended the war in Europe by, say, a month, would the Russians have invaded Manchuria in August 1945? (Stalin had pledged to go to war with Japan 90 days after the end of the war in Europe, and kept that pledge almost to the day.)
JABQ04
AG
Meh. Stalingrad just happens elsewhere. Kiev, Warsaw, Minsk. At best for the 3rd Reich the end is just delayed a few months. Best case for them is it allows the Western Allies to take Berlin.
HeightsAg
Langenator said:

If it extended the war in Europe by, say, a month, would the Russians have invaded Manchuria in August 1945? (Stalin had pledged to go to war with Japan 90 days after the end of the war in Europe, and kept that pledge almost to the day.)
This is a really interesting scenario because if Russian doesn't invade Manchuria, there's a really good chance that CCP doesn't win the Chinese Civil War and transformational 20th century events like the great famine, cultural revolution, korean war, etc ... including present day tensions probably doesn't happen.
nortex97
AG
It's too late by that point, but going to Stalingrad (because of the name) was stupid in the first place. The city could easily have been ignored/bypassed instead of becoming a sea of death/failure/misery, and the strategic goals (which the allies were quite wary of) could have been reached (acquiring the oil fields around Baiku, possibly linking up with the Japs in India etc.)

It was Hitler's order in July of 43 that really doomed it; sending Army group B into...Stalingrad. Even there Hitler micromanaged the armies, ordering 4th panzer to assist the 1st crossing a river, which clogged up the roads heading toward stalingrad. He really was a remarkably dumb/idiotic leader.
agforlife97
AG
nortex97 said:

It's too late by that point, but going to Stalingrad (because of the name) was stupid in the first place. The city could easily have been ignored/bypassed instead of becoming a sea of death/failure/misery, and the strategic goals (which the allies were quite wary of) could have been reached (acquiring the oil fields around Baiku, possibly linking up with the Japs in India etc.)

It was Hitler's order in July of 43 that really doomed it; sending Army group B into...Stalingrad. Even there Hitler micromanaged the armies, ordering 4th panzer to assist the 1st crossing a river, which clogged up the roads heading toward stalingrad. He really was a remarkably dumb/idiotic leader.
I think Germany lost the war in December 1941 when it failed to take Moscow. Not to say that it still may have lost the war anyway, but I think it definitely lost the war right there.

I agree that going into Stalingrad, a city that could have been bypassed, was a major mistake.

The invasion of the USSR was a massive intelligence blunder. Hitler himself said later that he would have never invaded if he knew how much reserve manpower and how many high quality tanks the red army could field. German intelligence was its achilles heel pretty much the entire war, along with terrible allies as has been noted.
nortex97
AG
I dunno, there was a possibility still, even after attacking Stalin, for a negotiated peace/truce, imho. He was a paranoid nut case too, after all.

The double irony of Hitler's admission is that it again reveals what a moron he was. The Germans had worked studiously since their surrender with the Soviets on tanks, under the premise of tractor research and other absurd names (Hitler only finally abandoned these pretenses in the mid-30's).

They literally funded/helped the Soviets into building the T-34 (in addition to other armaments like aircraft). German intelligence as to Soviet capabilities and tactics in the 30's was at least as great as it was as to French ones in WW1, and probably much greater. Krupp, Rheinmetall, Daimler, and yes Porsche all worked closely with the commies, and no matter what the revisionist histories on their sites/fans today say, it was certainly military in nature.

https://warontherocks.com/2016/06/sowing-the-wind-the-first-soviet-german-military-pact-and-the-origins-of-world-war-ii/

https://www.rheinmetall.com/en/rheinmetall_ag/group/corporate_history/125_jahre_rheinmetall_1/jahre_1918_bis_1/index.php
nortex97
AG
Quasi related, is this book out now about an often forgotten component of the whole 'eastern front.' Regardless, I think today even among serious historians there is a misplaced belief in a lot of mythology around Stalingrad and what really happened both there and toward Moscow etc.

Quote:

SEAN MCMEEKIN: THE STORY BEHIND "STALIN'S WAR"

Sean McMeekin is Francis Flournoy Professor of European History and Culture at Bard College and the author of Stalin's War: A New History of World War II, officially published by Basic Books today. Professor McMeekin is one of the most prominent of the younger generation of historians of the Soviet Union. His first book The Red Millionaire is a personal favorite of mine. He graciously accepted my invitation to send us a column that would allow us to give readers a preview of his new book. Professor McMeekin writes:

Like many Americans with a love for history, I was weaned on popular chronicles of World War II, from glossy secondary works and novels to Hollywood blockbusters, from Casablanca and The Dirty Dozen to Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan. The "Good War" always gives Americans a satisfactory conclusion, with Hitler and Nazi evil defeated, Holocaust horrors brought to an end, and the USA emerging on the world stage as a righteous superpower.

Over the years, however, doubts began to creep in about just how righteous the war's outcome was for millions of Europeans and Asians less fortunate in geography than Americans are. Coming of age in the late Cold War years, I learned to appreciate the wisdom of Churchill's famous warning about the "Iron Curtain" which had descended on eastern Europe in 1945, not to mention the war's unfinished business in Asia, from the Korean and Vietnam wars and the fallout resulting from them to the rise of Communist China as a strategic adversary every bit as formidable as the Soviet Union had been, if not more so.

As a young historian, I benefitted enormously from the opening of the Russian archives after the fall of the USSR in 1991, although in my first forays into Soviet history in works such as The Red Millionaire (2004) and History's Greatest Heist (2008), I chose subjects other than World War II, about which the Russian government remains twitchy and sensitive (indeed under Putin it is growing ever more so).

When my overseas travels and research trips took me beyond popular tourist destinations such as London, Paris, and Rome into central and eastern Europe, the Balkans, Russia, Turkey, and Asia, I learned that the Second World War is not universally seen as the "Good War," with a neat Hollywood cast of heroes and villains and a happy ending. In Vietnam and former French Indochina, the conflict emerging from the Japanese incursion in 1940 lasted until 1975, at least, and in Cambodia longer still. East of the Elbe river, the war did not end in 1945, but arguably in 1989, when Soviet troops finally began to go home. In Taiwan and Korea, questions arising from the conflict remain unresolved, and the military standoff is no less tense today than ever.

Probing more deeply, I began to see just how much messy material had been airbrushed out of our memory of the war. While German and Japanese war crimes have been endlessly discussed, and British and American excesses, such as the firebombing of Dresden and Tokyo and the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, have long since been exposed, there has always been an air of mystery about events behind Soviet lines in the war, and for good reason. Until 1991, western historians had no access to Russian war records beyond what was released by the Soviet government to promote its narrative of a morally unblemished "Great Patriotic War" against Nazi Germany.

Certain episodes, such as Stalin's "Katyn Forest Massacre" of Polish officers in 1940, were widely suspected but officially denied even the US government endorsed the Soviet line on Katyn until well into the Cold War. Entire eastern front battles, such as Operation Mars, a catastrophic Soviet offensive west of Moscow launched simultaneously with the Soviet counter-attack at Stalingrad, remained basically unknown to western military historians until the 1990s, because the Soviet government did not want them to know about it.

Over the years, many western historians have absorbed and passed on a sanitized Soviet version of Stalin's war, without quite realizing this is what they were doing. This is apparent in everything from the Barbarossa invasion of June 22, 1941, which is often treated like a context-free bolt from the blue, entirely unprovoked and unexpected, to heroic tales of the evacuation of Soviet factories east of Moscow in 1941-1942, to endless paeans to the "legendary T-34 tank" and the triumph of Soviet war industry (with concomitant disparaging of inferior British, Canadian, and American Lend-Lease tanks, said by Soviet critics to be "death traps"), to a near-exclusive focus on Stalingrad in 1942 to the exclusion of events elsewhere, to wildly exaggerated tales of Kursk in July 1943 as a crushing Soviet victory in the "greatest tank battle of all time," to the utter neglect of opportunistic Soviet invasions in the "Molotov-Ribbentrop" period of Soviet-German collaboration between 1939 to 1941 and in northern Asia in August-September 1945.

Some of this neglect reflects Stalin's own cunning. Aside from the Soviet invasion of Finland in November 1939, which did at least warrant condemnation at the time (though it was largely forgotten later), many key Soviet moves were camouflaged by high-profile German actions, from Stalin's invasion of Poland on September 17, 1939 piggybacking on Hitler's invasion two weeks earlier, to the Soviet invasion of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania launched on June 17, 1940 the very day a beaten France sued Germany for peace. Few people outside Romania even remember that the Red Army invaded that country, too, on June 28, 1940, giving Bucharest cause to join Barbarossa in 1941.

A less obvious, but no less revealing example, is Stalin's pledge at the Teheran conference of November 1943 to launch a diversionary offensive on the eastern front simultaneously with Overlord the planned US-British amphibious assault on the French Channel coast. Since Roosevelt and Churchill themselves forgot to remind Stalin about this in the lead-up to Overlord, allowing the Soviet dictator to betray his promise (the Soviet offensive "Bagration" was launched only 16 days after D-Day, which allowed the Germans to transfer armored divisions westward, opening the field for "Bagration" and ensuring the western Allies were badly bloodied in France), historians can perhaps be forgiven for forgetting all about it, too.

Perhaps the most amazing memory trick of all is the way Stalin's loud bellyaching between 1942 and 1944 about his Allies' alleged refusal to open a "Second Front" in Europe against Hitler (even though they actually did open one in Italy in 1943!) is still accepted at face value notwithstanding the fact that Stalin refused to lift a finger to help the U.S. against Japan for nearly four years after Pearl Harbor: he even had hundreds of US pilots, forced to bail out over Soviet territory after bombing raids on Japan, arrested and interned as prisoners of war.

Even more bizarre is the story of how the U.S. shipped 8.244 million tons of war materil, including a million tons of motor and aviation fuel, to Stalin's Far Eastern armies between 1941 and 1945, right through Japanese territorial waters Japan's admirals apparently not minding that the U.S. was wasting its precious resources on neutral Stalin rather than using them itself or to aid China. They did not mind, that is, until Stalin ripped up his Neutrality Pact with Japan after Hiroshima and rushed to conquer a north Asian empire larger than Britain and France combined in several weeks, with mechanized Soviet armies generously supplied and fueled by American Lend-Lease.

At least one reason so few western accounts have challenged Stalin's preferred narrative of the war is that, until recently, they did not have the sources to do so. In some areas, we had almost no information at all. Stalin did not permit the Red Cross to investigate Soviet prisoner of war camps the USSR, unlike Nazi Germany, was not even a signatory to the Hague or Geneva Conventions.

Even seemingly positive stories, such as the role of American Lend-Lease aid in reviving Stalin's factories and equipping his armies, could only really be guessed at, as Stalin did not permit American observers, during the war, to see how US war materil was being used in factories or at the front (aside from U.S. engineers flown in to troubleshoot, who were all sworn to secrecy).
AustinAg2K
I don't believe there was any realistic way for Germany to win, but I do wonder what sort of impact any delay in Germany's defeat world have had on the Cold War. If the US beats Russia to Berlin, I think the world is very different.
Old RV Ag
AG
AustinAg2K said:

I don't believe there was any realistic way for Germany to win, but I do wonder what sort of impact any delay in Germany's defeat world have had on the Cold War. If the US beats Russia to Berlin, I think the world is very different.
We could have beaten Russia to Berlin - however, Ike et al. weren't going to lose men and high casualties on territory that was already negotiated by Roosevelt, Churchill, and Stalin to be in the Soviet occupation zones - thus, giving it over to the Soviets after loss of countless American lives. Boundaries had already been decided regardless of who captured that area.
GasAg90
He still loses. Asia is big.
BrazosBendHorn
I suppose that if it draws out the war in the ETO by a few months, then Little Boy possibly gets detonated over Berlin instead of Hiroshima ...
agforlife97
AG
Anyone interested in the eastern front should read David Glantz's books, they are essential.

I think perhaps the only way Germany could have won is if the UK had made peace in 1940, as some wanted to do. Barbarossa combined with a Japanese attack in the Far East on the USSR, AND then the US didn't do lend lease. Even then probably unlikely.

Even a German victory may have looked like an armistice line near the Urals, with Russian partisan activity in perpetuity (as in the novel Fatherland).

One thing people should realize is that WWII was decided on the eastern front. The Soviets were aided immensely by lend-lease - the US mechanized all their divisions with over 500,000 trucks, which enabled them to win probably 1-2 years sooner than they otherwise would have. But it is likely that the Russians win anyway. They had a massive manpower advantage, and they were very good at manufacturing the basics in quantity, and their focus on heavy firepower is notable. The Russians are brutal and clever. Even today their focus on the basics like heavy firepower makes them formidable, even while their economy is the size of Canada.
Rabid Cougar
AG
agforlife97 said:

Anyone interested in the eastern front should read David Glantz's books, they are essential.

I think perhaps the only way Germany could have won is if the UK had made peace in 1940, as some wanted to do. Barbarossa combined with a Japanese attack in the Far East on the USSR, AND then the US didn't do lend lease. Even then probably unlikely.

Even a German victory may have looked like an armistice line near the Urals, with Russian partisan activity in perpetuity (as in the novel Fatherland).

One thing people should realize is that WWII was decided on the eastern front. The Soviets were aided immensely by lend-lease - the US mechanized all their divisions with over 500,000 trucks, which enabled them to win probably 1-2 years sooner than they otherwise would have. But it is likely that the Russians win anyway. They had a massive manpower advantage, and they were very good at manufacturing the basics in quantity, and their focus on heavy firepower is notable. The Russians are brutal and clever. Even today their focus on the basics like heavy firepower makes them formidable, even while their economy is the size of Canada.
Very true on the lend lease. You also have to consider the 2,000 steam locomotives, 10,000 rail cars and 60% of all aviation fuel, 1/3 of all ordnance and 4 million tons of food stuffs. Even a complete tire manufacturing plant. The amount of aid sent by the Persian Route alone (27% of total) was enough to maintain 60 front line divisions in combat according to the U.S. Army.

The Russians out numbered the Germans in WWI and quit because they could not sustain their armies in the field.

Without the above mentioned assistance the Soviets would have failed again and there would have been another truce just as in WWI.

You can have all the soldiers and heavy artillery you want but if you can move them or supply them they just exist.
74OA
AG
Random related thoughts:

If Germany had been able to fight on for a year longer, it would have had the time to complete its roundup and murder of European Jewry.

In that scenario, there's likely not enough Jews left alive to subsequently found Israel, and the contemporary history of the ME would be completely different.

8th AF was already running out of things to destroy by 1945. If it had been given another year to continue the bombing campaign, there wouldn't have been two stacked bricks left in cities across Germany and the civilian death toll would have been far worse.

In that scenario, Germany could not have recovered so quickly to jumpstart western Europe's shattered economy and much of the continent may well have succumbed to communist subversion, completely changing the history of the world.

fasthorse05
Y'all will likely know this, but didn't Russia incur about 300,000 casualties (or deaths), don't know which in the process of taking Berlin?

That's the only reason I've never *****ed about Ike doing what he did. Naturally, Stalin didn't give a damn, and he turned it over to Zhukov and Vasily Chuikov in order to create a competition for Berlin.

Smeghead4761
I think it was around 100,000 KIA, so 300,000 total would be about right.

The question would be, if those 250,000 troops had escaped Stalingrad, would the extra available troops have been enough to delay the start of the Red Army's push on Berlin by, say, 2 or 3 weeks. Enough to allow the Western Allies to sneak in the back door after they crossed the Rhein in force in late March.

Or would those troops have been chewed up at Kursk, or with Army Group Center in the summer of 1944? Would they have added more troops to the Ardennes offensive? Or maybe trying to defend the Romanian oil fields?

agforlife97
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

agforlife97 said:

Very true on the lend lease. You also have to consider the 2,000 steam locomotives, 10,000 rail cars and 60% of all aviation fuel, 1/3 of all ordnance and 4 million tons of food stuffs. Even a complete tire manufacturing plant. The amount of aid sent by the Persian Route alone (27% of total) was enough to maintain 60 front line divisions in combat according to the U.S. Army.

The Russians out numbered the Germans in WWI and quit because they could not sustain their armies in the field.

Without the above mentioned assistance the Soviets would have failed again and there would have been another truce just as in WWI.

You can have all the soldiers and heavy artillery you want but if you can move them or supply them they just exist.
Entirely possible. We now know that Stalin offered Hitler a truce twice. I haven't read that much about it but I think in both 1942 and 43. But by the time of operation Bagration in June 1944, the Soviets possessed overwhelming power.
nortex97
AG
There's substantial evidence of the Soviet offers, and plausible avenues the Nazi's could have also taken to 'win' if, again, they had competent/not-crazy leadership.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/how-nazi-germany-could-have-crushed-russia-during-world-war-ii-82481?page=0%2C1

I do think some of the above speculation that WW2 was hopeless for Germany is misplaced.

Quote:

The reason that Hitler failed to avail himself of this opportunity to end the war with the Soviet Union on favorable terms to Germany is that he deluded himself into believing the German Army could successfully conquer Soviet territories far beyond the German gains of World War One instead of accepting more realistic and achievable gains and objectives. Even in June 1943 when Hitler had given up any plans for further offensives, had ordered the construction of a defensive line in the east and sent his foreign minister to meet with his Soviet counterpart to try to negotiate a peace agreement with the Soviets, he still refused the Soviet peace offer. In retrospect, the wisest thing Germany could have done would have been to complete their encirclements of Soviet forces and/or capture Moscow first and then negotiate a Second Treaty of Brest-Litovsk with Stalin beginning in early October 1941 after they succeeded in capturing or destroying the vast majority or the Red Army's tanks and combat aircraft. Then the Germans could have constructed a fortified defense line to protect their hard-won gains.

The next and final installment of this series will focus on the reasons why Adolf Hitler himself was the biggest reason that Germany lost World War Two and how taking him out of the equation might have helped secure a German victory.
But again (here is the next piece in that series, which I think is on point), Hitler himself really was the cog that made it unwinnable;

Quote:

Overthrowing Hitler or assassinating him was probably the single most important thing Germany could have done to win World War II, assuming it had ended up fighting it at all without him. Hitler made a series of critical strategic errors beginning with his decision to violate the Munich Pact in March 1939 and continuing with his decision to spare the British Expeditionary Force at Dunkirk in May 1940. By the time he decided to halt the German advance on Moscow in August 1941 and declare war on America in December 1941, he had all but guaranteed ultimate German military defeat.

There were over forty known coup or assassination attempts against Hitler, many with wide support by top German military leaders, including eleven German Field Marshals at various times. But the first and perhaps the most promising was planned to occur in September 1938 in response to fear by the German General Staff that Hitler's demand for the German Sudetenland from Czechoslovakia would result in a war with Britain and France, which Germany was woefully unprepared to fight and would have surely lost. The Germans had only about one-third as many divisions as they were able to mobilize in September 1939 and the Czech army had the same number of troops as the Germans did and six more army divisions! Needless to say, they would have had to use the bulk of the German Army to successfully invade leaving Germany's western borders largely undefended against a potential French invasion and occupation of Germany's Rhineland industrial region. Thus, the German generals led by Gen. Ludwig Beck felt it would be necessary to remove Hitler from power in order to avoid a near certain German military defeat.

Hitler's insistence on making all of the major military decisions, instead of allowing his generals to run the war resulted in a series of avoidable mistakes that assured Germany's ultimate defeat. Not only did he halt the advance of Army Group Center and prevent it from taking Moscow in summer 1941, but he issued "no-retreat" orders that led to the loss of hundreds of thousands of German troops as the tide of war began to shift against them. Entire German armies were surrounded and captured as the tide of war began to shift against them. Some historians have argued this "no-retreat" order prevented the German military withdrawal in the face of the Soviet offensive in the winter of 1941 from turning into a rout, which may be true, however, that was an exception. Also, he ordered militarily dubious offensives at Stalingrad in August 1942 and at Kursk in July 1943 and later the Ardennes at the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944 and in Hungary in March 1945, which resulted in heavy German losses without which Germany could have likely defended against successive Soviet offensives at least a couple years longer.

Hitler spent over $2 billion (as much as the United States spent on the Manhattan Project developing the atomic bomb) developing and producing a large arsenal of Tabun and Sarin nerve gas, which were much more deadly than the Allies' stocks of mustard gas. The stockpile weighed about twelve thousand tons. Still, Hitler declined repeated requests from his military commanders to employ it against enemy troops on the battlefieldeven when Germany was in the process of being totally overrun by the Western Allies and Soviet Red Army from January to May 1945 and he was preparing to commit suicide. The Germans could have employed their vast stocks of nerve gas to potentially repel the Allied amphibious invasion of Normandy on D-Day. The Germans could have delivered Sarin nerve gas via mortars, of which Germany had considerably more of than did the Allies, along with other types of artillery rounds since delivery by air in the face of Allied air superiority would likely have proven much more challenging. Winston Churchill, on the other hand, had no such scruples and reportedly planned on using mustard gas against German troops on the beaches if they had ended up invading Britain. Nerve gas might have also been used successfully to repel Soviet troops advancing on eastern Germany from Berlin, given favorable wind conditions. Interestingly, all German mortars and multiple rocket launchers above ten centimeters in diameter during the war were designated by the Germans as Nebelwerfers, which translates to "smoke or fog throwers," and were initially assigned to the German Army Chemical Corps, being primarily designed to deliver poison gas and smoke rounds.

Another related major mistake was Hitler's decision to control the Panzer divisions in Normandy instead of giving full control to Rommel to repel the Allied landing forces on D-day while he slept through D-day and missed the opportunity to do so believing the Allied ruse that the invasion of Normandy was merely a diversion from the main planned allied landings.

Anyway, they had many options throughout the war to avoid total defeat (more at the links), but he was singularly horrible at wartime leadership, imho. Easily the worst major power leader/executive of the 20th century.
cbr
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

agforlife97 said:

There still seems to be huge controversy about how much help lend lease was in the first half of the war. Should not be such a mystery.
I think another huge factor is if the Germans had acted like the liberators they were instead of going full nazi on the conquered territory.

Stay on Dunkirk
Stay on the raf and radar in the Battle of Britain
Keep driving on Moscow
Liberate and turn the soviet population
Don't declare war on the us
Convince japan to move in the east instead of committing the biggest blunder in world history at pearl
Take Gibraltar
Turn turkey and prevent the suez and Iran as strategic allied assets

Do all that and hitler probably could have won.

Better yet, assassinate hitler by early 43, cut a deal with the west and combine for destroy the Soviets - that would have been a best case scenario.
aalan94
AG
Once again, I'm going to attack the "Germany Couldn't Win" nonsense.

There are two countries involved. To say that "Germany Couldn't Win" assumes the idea that "The Soviets Could not Lose." And that is very provably false. The Soviets were a regime on a shaky foundation with lots of internal dissention. At the onset of the war, Stalin had a meltdown and was basically cowering in a room in the Kremlin when some generals came in. He thought they were there to shoot him and he was ready to go. They were not. They wanted orders, and he sucked it up. That moment right there may have determined the war. There were other issues involved, including the Germans' heavy handedness. Rather than exploit the Ukranian allies who naturally fell in their laps, they alienated them and drove them back into the arms of the Soviets. The same people who volunteered to lead a "white" army alongside the Nazis within a year were partisans against the Nazis.

This is all a dead horse and I could beat it forever. But let's talk about the specific case.

1. Germany still had a lot of combat power and the Soviets still had a lot of structural weaknesses and tactical flaws.
2. The German army did amazing feats of delayed retreats. The war in the East was "over" in early 1943, but it took the Russians 2 years to regain the ground the Germans had seized in five months. There are lots of reasons for this, but one was the serious logistical problems the Soviets faced. Lack of trucks is a big one. It's all fine and good to have tons of T-34s but they can't just go 100 miles in advance of your forces alone.
3. The Germans' biggest flaw was their dogged refusal to retreat, and this was their undoing.

Now let's look at a presumed scenario. The Germans "bait" the Russians into an overstretched advance. Pull back from Stalingrad and open a gap in your lines for the Soviets to pour into. Then let their bulge suck in great resources and turn it into an encirclement like you had done in the early days of the war. Of course, this presumes the Russians do what you want to do, but there is little evidence that most Russian generals learned their lessons, and plenty of examples of Russians doing stupid things and losing tons of men in a war that was at least strategically over.

I think there are other scenarios, but German victory involves outthinking your enemy, and Hitler's stand your ground at all costs orders basically quashed all thinking.
Old RV Ag
AG
aalan94 said:

There are two countries involved. To say that "Germany Couldn't Win" assumes the idea that "The Soviets Could not Lose." And that is very provably false. The Soviets were a regime on a shaky foundation with lots of internal dissention.
Lots of truth to that. After what Stalin did to the Ukraine with the mass starvation in the 1930s and other things, Hitler would have been wise to as someone earlier pointed out come in and act as liberators instead of conquerors. A fair amount of Ukrainians actually did join the Germany army. If he would have wooed the Ukraine, he would have millions of soldiers and incredible food sources from the fertile Ukrainian farmland. Hitler was too focused on the Aryan race and if he had been more political instead of absolute military approach he could have carved out an empire - if he had somehow come to peace with Stalin in 42ish we would have never had the military wherewithal to invade France.
Rabid Cougar
AG
aalan94 said:

2. The German army did amazing feats of delayed retreats. The war in the East was "over" in early 1943, but it took the Russians 2 years to regain the ground the Germans had seized in five months.

And did this with their infrastructure and supply bases being blasted into oblivion in the Fatherland and fighting on a second front in Italy.
Smeghead4761
Of course, if Hitler had simply stopped after conquering France, he probably could have held onto his conquests for decades, if not longer. Without the Russian front draining resources, Germany could have made the British bombing campaign prohibitively costly. Naval operations in the North Sea and the waters around the British Isles would have probably resulted in a stand off.

Eventually, the Brits get tired of the whole thing, Churchill's party loses Pariliament, and they negotiate a truce with Germany.

But that wasn't the question asked.
Old RV Ag
AG
Langenator said:

Of course, if Hitler had simply stopped after conquering France, he probably could have held onto his conquests for decades, if not longer. Without the Russian front draining resources, Germany could have made the British bombing campaign prohibitively costly. Naval operations in the North Sea and the waters around the British Isles would have probably resulted in a stand off.

Eventually, the Brits get tired of the whole thing, Churchill's party loses Pariliament, and they negotiate a truce with Germany.

He could have probably added the Balkans in 41 as well and focused on pushing the Brits out of the Mediterranean completely to finish the squeeze on Britain. Invading Russia and declaring war on the US in a six month window - dumb, dumb, dumb.
cbr
AG
Langenator said:

actually, if hitler hadnt invaded russia, hitler would have been steamrolled by stalin, probably in 41... if not then probably 42. lots of propaganda argues that hitler just cold cocked russia, and that russia was not going to invade poland and germany, but that is just nonsense. the deployment of the soviet army alone proves that, as does the fact that real data has largely never been released. the us, britain, and soviet union all covered up the fact that stalin was going to invade.

it is not at all certain that the wermacht could have survived on the defensive against the massive numbers, even if soviet logistics sucked.
Jabin
Quote:

the deployment of the soviet army alone proves that, as does the fact that real data has largely never been released.
Any support for those statement, i.e. the deployment of the Soviet Army immediately prior to the German invasion?

Also, where can one find the "real data that has largely never been released"?
Old RV Ag
AG
Jabin said:

Quote:

the deployment of the soviet army alone proves that, as does the fact that real data has largely never been released.
Any support for those statement, i.e. the deployment of the Soviet Army immediately prior to the German invasion?

It's stored with the data on the millions of Germans the US starved in labor camps after the war
cbr
AG
Jabin said:

Quote:

I'll send some book titles when i get to it. but it should be pretty obvious that you can't encircle nearly million men, destroy almost the entire air force on the ground, and capture the vast bulk of fuel, ammunition, food, and equipment in the first few weeks of the operation unless the soviets were in an offensive deployment.

soviet deployment would have been radically different if they were planning on the border being in place for any period of time, or planning on a defensive war.

It should also be pretty obvious that Stalin, Roosevelt, and even Churchill would have classified any indication that Stalin planned an invasion as the absolute utmost top secret, and purged any documents indicating otherwise.

It was hard enough to swindle the public into allying with an even worse dictator than hitler or tojo without public knowledge that our 'allies' were about to invade poland and germany themselves.

(actually tojo was not a dictator at all, it was really a competing set of juntas from the army and navy that were haphazardly fumbling into decisions made by japan).

That is why after 1989, there was a lot of secondary information which indicated this was the case, but all the primary documents had likely been destroyed.

It is not exactly controversial that the soviets wanted to expand into western europe either, folks.
cbr
AG
Old RV Ag said:

Jabin said:

Quote:

It's stored with the data on the millions of Germans the US starved in labor camps after the war
the only thing worse than a dogmatic flat earther refusing to learn anything, or even consider anything, on a history discussion forum, is an obnoxious snarky one that thinks misquoting some old argument is funny.

Old RV Ag
AG
cbr said:

Old RV Ag said:

Jabin said:

Quote:

the only thing worse than a dogmatic flat earther refusing to learn anything, or even consider anything, on a history discussion forum, is an obnoxious snarky one that thinks misquoting some old argument is funny.

Seriously, there was no intent or effort to be funny. The comment is valid in this discussion as you use that phrase "never been released" so often - it's simply a discussion on consider the source.
cbr
AG
Old RV Ag said:

cbr said:

Old RV Ag said:

Jabin said:

Quote:

Seriously, there was no intent or effort to be funny. The comment is valid in this discussion as you use that phrase "never been released" so often - it's simply a discussion on consider the source.
Lol, 'so often' = twice, both on subjects which you know full well would never be declassified or released.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.