2,045 years ago today, Caesar was murdered on the steps at the Curia of Pompey

2,332 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DrEvazanPhD
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

The assassination would unite Octavian and Mark Antony against Brutus and Cassius in the Liberator's Civil War, the defeat (and suicide) of Cassius in the First Battle of Philippi, and the defeat (and suicide) of Brutus in the Second Battle of Philippi just 2 years after Caesar's murder.

Octavian would return to Italy while Antony would stay in the East. The alliance didn't last, and in 31 BC, Octavian defeated Antony and Cleoptara in the Battle of Actium.

Brutus and Cassius set out to prevent Caesar from becoming king. In the vacuum he left, Octavian became Rome's first emperor, dubbing himself Caesar Agustus.
BQ_90
AG
So a mostly peaceful staff meeting.
BQ78
AG
Inspired some of the best lines in Shakespeare.
cavscout96
AG
BQ78 said:

et tu, Brute?
Stive
AG
I'm not a Roman history/government person at all.

After Octavian took over (and going forward) what was the role of the senate? Did they still handle most of the governance but defer to the emperor? Were their positions mostly just for show?
ABATTBQ87
AG
cavscout96 said:

BQ78 said:

et tu, Brute?
Beware the Ides of March
MW03
AG
Stive said:

After Octavian took over (and going forward) what was the role of the senate? Did they still handle most of the governance but defer to the emperor? Were their positions mostly just for show?

I believe Octavian gave all the control to the senate over the provinces and pulled his army out, but i believe it was basically in name only. He had sole control over the military and the authority to veto anything he didn't like without any checks or balances. For all intents and purposes, he was pretty much running the show immediately.

The craziest thing to me is that you can see the ripple effect of Octavian's rule throughout Europe (and then some) over the next 1400 years or so.
dallasiteinsa02
Stive said:

Octavian became the head of the senate but reduced it by 200 that didn't agree with his rule. They pretty much yielded all power to him from there.
MW03
AG
One of the interesting things about Octavian was that he came from a Plebeian family, but was adopted by Caesar and named his heir (Octavian's mother was Caesar's niece). He ended up "collecting" a variety of titles and powers held traditionally by one group or the other. At one point, he held the powers of a consul, a censor, and a tribune. So while he vested control to the Republic, he held all the power. Partly because he was insanely wealthy (he is credited with paying for the road system himself). Partly because he was a ferocious general with immense loyalty in the military.

Either way, he was pretty much in control of everything. Octavian's rule is considered the start of the Pax Romana that expanded the Roman empire to it highest reaches.

And who knows what the world looks like if Caesar wasn't murdered on March 15.
Pro Sandy
AG
Was there last fall.

The site where he was killed has nothing marking it. Wouldn't even know it if it wasn't for our tour guide.

This was the temple built to honor Caesar
MW03
AG
Pro Sandy said:

Was there last fall.

The site where he was killed has nothing marking it. Wouldn't even know it if it wasn't for our tour guide.

This was the temple built to honor Caesar

That's awesome. Rome is #1 on my list of places to see.

Fun fact, after the assassination, Octavian walled the curia off and desecrated the statue of Pompey that was there. Supposedly, they turned it into a public bathroom.
BQ78
AG
Cry Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war.
Rhodesia
cavscout96 said:

BQ78 said:

et tu, Brute?
he never said that
BQ78
AG
Were you there?
MW03
AG
Suetonius wrote in The Life of Caesar that those at the scene reported Caesar said "You too, my child" in Greek when he saw Marcus Brutus. He also wrote that Servilla, Brutus' mother, was his favorite mistress. It is speculated that Brutus was actually Caesar's illegitimate child. So Shakespeare took that story and turned it into "Et tu, Brute" for the sake of clarity.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
cavscout96 said:

BQ78 said:

et tu, Brute?
In Greek !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Law-5L
AG
BQ78 said:

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.
I have come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones.
So let it be with Caesar...

HarleySpoon
AG
MW03 said:

Suetonius wrote in The Life of Caesar that those at the scene reported Caesar said "You too, my child" in Greek when he saw Marcus Brutus. He also wrote that Servilla, Brutus' mother, was his favorite mistress. It is speculated that Brutus was actually Caesar's illegitimate child. So Shakespeare took that story and turned it into "Et tu, Brute" for the sake of clarity.

So, you're saying there weren't church bells ringing in Rome either?
kubiak03
AG
Marcus Agrippa was the reason for Octavius success.

Greatest best friend in the history of the world.
DrEvazanPhD
kubiak03 said:

Marcus Agrippa was the reason for Octavius success.

Greatest best friend in the history of the world.

For his military success, yes. Maecenas deserved a lot of credit for his political success
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.