Is Benjamin Franklin the most interesting American ever?

4,175 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Schall 02
Post removed:
by user
gigemhilo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think there are several interesting figures in American History during the Revolutionary War period. They were some party animals!

From that period, I would also suggest Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, and Bennedict Arnold as interesting figures as well.
BQ78
AG
All of those are certainly good candidates but there are many others. The Civil War period is full of them but I'll throw out Edison, T. Roosevelt and George Patton for the list too.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
FAT SEXY said:

I know this is a matter of opinion, but I cannot think of another person from our country's history that is more interesting than this dude.
I'm a big fan of his but I'm also skewed by Brands' The First American biography of Franklin.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
It's pretty long and a little different than his other works which I consider written as "popular" history. This one isn't as easy to consume as his other stuff but it's really good material.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Rex Racer
AG
The thing that made men of our founders' generation so interesting was that they did not have television or computers to keep them occupied all the time. So they found other things to keep themselves entertained, such as study, research, writing, inventing, etc. And they couldn't just run to the corner store for whatever they wanted. So they invented things. Even my grandfather used to make his own stuff because he either couldn't afford to buy an item or he didn't have access to it.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Jefferson.
mountaindew
Apache
AG
Quote:

The thing that made men of our founders' generation so interesting was that they did not have television or computers to keep them occupied all the time.

100% agree with this. Also, the indentured servants, cheap labor, slaves, numerous kids & subservient wives made it easy for some men to avoid the mundane daily crap we all deal with.
No telling what I could do with my life if I didn't have a "honeydo" list.
gigemhilo
AG
Rex Racer said:

The thing that made men of our founders' generation so interesting was that they did not have television or computers to keep them occupied all the time. So they found other things to keep themselves entertained, such as study, research, writing, inventing, etc. And they couldn't just run to the corner store for whatever they wanted. So they invented things. Even my grandfather used to make his own stuff because he either couldn't afford to buy an item or he didn't have access to it.
And party. lol
BQ78
AG
Hey Apache:

You know if she is such a drag on your life, you can kick her to the curb and get a newer model.
C1NRB
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

I'm a big fan of his but I'm also skewed by Brands' The First American biography of Franklin.
I had Dr. Brands for HIST 106 in the Fall of my freshman year. I think it was his first semester at A&M as well because the class was across the tracks in Kleberg.

(I couldn't help myself. Every time I see him on a History Channel show I have to say something. The family has started preempting me with, "Oh look. That's the guy you had for History when you were a freshman.")
Rex Racer
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

The thing that made men of our founders' generation so interesting was that they did not have television or computers to keep them occupied all the time.

100% agree with this. Also, the indentured servants, cheap labor, slaves, numerous kids & subservient wives made it easy for some men to avoid the mundane daily crap we all deal with.
No telling what I could do with my life if I didn't have a "honeydo" list.
Very true. They had a lot of time on their hands.
Apache
AG
Nah I'm good!! Traded up big time on this one, I worry about her trading me in!!!
BQ78
AG
Yeah I hear ya.
expresswrittenconsent
TR pretty interesting
Apache
AG
Some other really interesting Americans:

OJ Simpson: Star Athlete, Actor, Spokesperson & Murderer.

Arnold Schwarzenegger: Top ranked bodybuilder, Huge Action Star, Governor of California

Howard Hughes: Inventor, Pilot, Recluse & Seducer of most of the Hollywood A List starlets from 1930-1960.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Rex Racer said:

Do you think men were around saying that books and learning were too much of a distraction?
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Rabid Cougar said:

Jefferson.

I find him seriously overrate, especially as a President.

Go ahead and eviscerate me.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
C1NRB said:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

I had Dr. Brands for HIST 106 in the Fall of my freshman year. I think it was his first semester at A&M as well because the class was across the tracks in Kleberg.

(I couldn't help myself. Every time I see him on a History Channel show I have to say something. The family has started preempting me with, "Oh look. That's the guy you had for History when you were a freshman.")
I was lucky enough to have him as my senior seminar advisor. I didn't know who he was at the time but I thoroughly enjoyed that class and at the time I was bummed that it was a class that just met once a week. We had to do a study on the difference between an individual's autobiography and their biographies. Great stuff.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
You guys are leaving out an obvious candidate who is right under your collective noses:

General Sam

After reading Haley's biography I would say there are very few who lived as interesting and historically significant a life as General Sam.
aalan94
AG
I don't know how anyone could compare to Theodore Roosevelt. Of course, he started off wealthy, so he didn't have to spend the first 40 years of his life earning money like Franklin did. But here are a few things:

1. Was so sickly as a child he nearly died of asthma. His dad told him "you have a great mind but a weak body. Make your body." Dad dies and kid makes himself literally the most physically fit US president ever by sheer will.
2. Read 1-2 books a day every day of his adult life, even when he was president and even when he was on safari in Africa. He fell behind while mapping the River of Doubt in South America, but hey, the library was closed.
3. In graduate school, despite having little naval experience, teaches himself naval strategy and writes the definitive history of the Naval War of 1812.
4. Was elected state rep. at a young age and married a hottie. She and his mom died on the same day, which was valentine's day, only two days after his daughter was born. It would have crushed a man. For TR, it made him stronger.
5. Went out west to find himself. Bought a cattle ranch in the west and became a cowboy, despite being from New York and having no experience. Became well-respected and was even appointed a deputy marshall. Thrashed a guy for calling him "four eyes."
6. Came back and became New York Police Commissioner. Would sneak out in disguise and spy on his cops late at night in Gotham (when it really was that), showing up and berating them for not doing their jobs.
7. Became the U.S. Civil Service Commissioner. Promoted actual tests and qualifications for jobs rather than sheer patronage. Literally began modern reform efforts in this area.
8. Despite a relatively insignificant office, becomes a huge player in the 1896 presidential election. His support helps propel William McKinley to the presidency.
9. Gets appointed Assistant Secretary of the Navy. When war with Spain is looming and his boss is out, he sends the crucial orders to the Pacific squadron commander to pre-position his fleet to be ready to attack the Philippines. His boss is pissed, but when the commander wipes out the entire Spanish Pacific fleet without losing a man on the American side, no one complains.
10. Resigns his cushy government job on the principle that since he argued the most for the war, he should go. With no prior militiary experience, he decides to form a cavalry regiment from a mix of the Ivy league athletes he knows (back when the Ivy league types were the most physically fit men in America) and the cowboys he knew from the west. Even though he could easily become its colonel, he instead takes the 2nd in command to bring in an experienced officer above him.
11. In Cuba, his Rough Riders get into the fight and he learns quickly. When other officers are taken out of the fight above, his superior that he hand picked is pulled up to division and he gets control of the regiment at the pivotal moment in the campaign.
12. He leads the Rough Riders up San Juan Hill (It was actually Kettle Hill, part of the broader San Juan heights). He rides on horseback leading his men who are on foot, so he's a huge target. His glasses are shot off his face, but he has 3 spair pair sewn into his hat and puts a new one on and continues to lead the attack.
13. Despite heavy losses from Spanish Mausers, the Rough Riders defeat the position. They then hold on for several days, ensuring the fall of Santiago, completing the conquest of Cuba. For this, he will belatedly (2003) win the Medal of Honor.
14. Comes back a hero, uses his fame to save his men from apalling conditions where they would have almost certainly died of malaria and other diseases.
15. Wins the governorship of New York. He is so free of corruption that the bosses decide they can only get rid of him by making him vice president. He wins that job, but then McKinley is shot and he is president.
16 Youngest president and most popular president in history.
17. Panama Canal
18. Negotiates the end of the Russo-Japanese War. Wins the Nobel Prize.
19. Leaves on his own terms and puts his VP in the white house.
20. Goes on a safari in Africa. Shoots half the animals on the continent. Sends them all to the smithsonian Insitution for their displays. Kills a charging Rhino at 30 yards.
21. Runs for president when his hand-picked successor turns out to be a tool of corruption. Loses, but becomes the only 3rd party candidate in history to come in second.
22. Gets bored and decides to map an uncharted river in the Amazon Basin. Nearly dies in the event from disease and piranahs. Succeeds. The river is now the Rio Roosevelt.
23. 1929 he decides that he's taking up all the badassery and there can never be a Chuck Norris born unless he dies, so he agrees to do so.

I'm probably leaving a few things out.
As for Benjamin Franklin:
1. Wrote stuff.
2. Discovered something shocking.
3. Had sex with French women in his 70s.

So yeah Franklin's cool and all, but not a comparison.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
aalan94 said:

I don't know how anyone could compare to Theodore Roosevelt. Of course, he started off wealthy, so he didn't have to spend the first 40 years of his life earning money like Franklin did. But here are a few things:

1. Was so sickly as a child he nearly died of asthma. His dad told him "you have a great mind but a weak body. Make your body." Dad dies and kid makes himself literally the most physically fit US president ever by sheer will.
2. Read 1-2 books a day every day of his adult life, even when he was president and even when he was on safari in Africa. He fell behind while mapping the River of Doubt in South America, but hey, the library was closed.
3. In graduate school, despite having little naval experience, teaches himself naval strategy and writes the definitive history of the Naval War of 1812.
4. Was elected state rep. at a young age and married a hottie. She and his mom died on the same day, which was valentine's day, only two days after his daughter was born. It would have crushed a man. For TR, it made him stronger.
5. Went out west to find himself. Bought a cattle ranch in the west and became a cowboy, despite being from New York and having no experience. Became well-respected and was even appointed a deputy marshall. Thrashed a guy for calling him "four eyes."
6. Came back and became New York Police Commissioner. Would sneak out in disguise and spy on his cops late at night in Gotham (when it really was that), showing up and berating them for not doing their jobs.
7. Became the U.S. Civil Service Commissioner. Promoted actual tests and qualifications for jobs rather than sheer patronage. Literally began modern reform efforts in this area.
8. Despite a relatively insignificant office, becomes a huge player in the 1896 presidential election. His support helps propel William McKinley to the presidency.
9. Gets appointed Assistant Secretary of the Navy. When war with Spain is looming and his boss is out, he sends the crucial orders to the Pacific squadron commander to pre-position his fleet to be ready to attack the Philippines. His boss is pissed, but when the commander wipes out the entire Spanish Pacific fleet without losing a man on the American side, no one complains.
10. Resigns his cushy government job on the principle that since he argued the most for the war, he should go. With no prior militiary experience, he decides to form a cavalry regiment from a mix of the Ivy league athletes he knows (back when the Ivy league types were the most physically fit men in America) and the cowboys he knew from the west. Even though he could easily become its colonel, he instead takes the 2nd in command to bring in an experienced officer above him.
11. In Cuba, his Rough Riders get into the fight and he learns quickly. When other officers are taken out of the fight above, his superior that he hand picked is pulled up to division and he gets control of the regiment at the pivotal moment in the campaign.
12. He leads the Rough Riders up San Juan Hill (It was actually Kettle Hill, part of the broader San Juan heights). He rides on horseback leading his men who are on foot, so he's a huge target. His glasses are shot off his face, but he has 3 spair pair sewn into his hat and puts a new one on and continues to lead the attack.
13. Despite heavy losses from Spanish Mausers, the Rough Riders defeat the position. They then hold on for several days, ensuring the fall of Santiago, completing the conquest of Cuba. For this, he will belatedly (2003) win the Medal of Honor.
14. Comes back a hero, uses his fame to save his men from apalling conditions where they would have almost certainly died of malaria and other diseases.
15. Wins the governorship of New York. He is so free of corruption that the bosses decide they can only get rid of him by making him vice president. He wins that job, but then McKinley is shot and he is president.
16 Youngest president and most popular president in history.
17. Panama Canal
18. Negotiates the end of the Russo-Japanese War. Wins the Nobel Prize.
19. Leaves on his own terms and puts his VP in the white house.
20. Goes on a safari in Africa. Shoots half the animals on the continent. Sends them all to the smithsonian Insitution for their displays. Kills a charging Rhino at 30 yards.
21. Runs for president when his hand-picked successor turns out to be a tool of corruption. Loses, but becomes the only 3rd party candidate in history to come in second.
22. Gets bored and decides to map an uncharted river in the Amazon Basin. Nearly dies in the event from disease and piranahs. Succeeds. The river is now the Rio Roosevelt.
23. 1929 he decides that he's taking up all the badassery and there can never be a Chuck Norris born unless he dies, so he agrees to do so.

I'm probably leaving a few things out.
As for Benjamin Franklin:
1. Wrote stuff.
2. Discovered something shocking.
3. Had sex with French women in his 70s.

So yeah Franklin's cool and all, but not a comparison.
Just in case anyone was wondering why Ed Morris had to write 3 massive tomes to chronicle TR's life...now you know. Excellent post as always, aalan.

One thing I do want to note is that I believe that his father actually introduced him to the Maine backcountry guide who would help TR "make his body." So he technically started on it before his dad died, but to your point the vast majority of his work on that happened afterwards.

TR also climbed the Matterhorn...on his honeymoon to the first wife...
BQ78
AG
To be fair, French women around that time would have sex with anything with a pulse.
terata
AG
"To be fair, French women around that time would have sex with anything with a pulse. "

Oooohhhhh, to be in France again. Franklin would be in the top 10 of interesting Americans. As BQ stated there are others....list some of your other "interesting Americans" just for....
Post removed:
by user
Bighunter43
AG
I'd put Andrew Jackson as ONE of the most interesting Americans. Franklin seems rather tame and boring compared to him!
et98
AG
Hedy Lamarr
aalan94
AG
JJMt,

You are correct. The highway to hell is paved...you know the drill.
harleyds2
AG
Henry Knox. Amazing individual. Without him the American revolution probably would have been lost to brits
cbr
AG
The cool thing about americans is that we used to be really interesting badasses.
ryanhnc10
AG
John D Rockefeller
Mark Twain
Walt Disney
William Jennings Bryan
Frederick Douglass
PT Barnum

Apache
AG
Quote:

The cool thing about americans is that we used to be really interesting badasses.

Can we claim Elon Musk? He's very interesting & a badass IMO.
Jeff Bezos is sort of "Elon" light.
Jonny Kim was a Navy Seal, Astronaut & Physician. THAT is a badass.
Schall 02
AG
I was in that same class, too. I picked Mark Twain.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.