Black and White Photographs Of Historical Significance

6,095 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Agthatbuilds
Apache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
Apache said:

That one needs the sitting bernie treatment
Apache
AG
Perfect for that, right!!??
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Missing iconic photos:

Ike addressing paratroopers before D-day jump

MacArthur wading ashore

Okie lady with children during dust bowl/Great Depression that has a Grapes of Wrath vibe to it

Too lazy to learn how to post these. Sorry
Ghost of Andrew Eaton

I would also recommend looking at photos from Horace Poolaw if you are looking for American Indian photographs from around the 1950s-1970s. They are really great.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG

Rabid Cougar
AG

P.H. Dexippus
AG

Mayor West
AG

BrazosBendHorn
I'm assuming that last pic is at Hitler's Berghof in the Obersalzberg ...

Meanwhile, at the Reichstag ...
30wedge
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

This is one of my favorites.

Great, great photo. Much better than images like Patton, or MacArthur returning to the Philippines. This POW returning home, and his family, you can almost write a story line. The joy of (I suspect) his daughter, arms wide open and about to hug her Daddy when she must have wondered for months or years if she would ever see him again.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Can you imagine his shock in seeing his kids and not recognizing them?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Cen-Tex
AG

Some officers in 33rd Tex Cavalry CSA. (aka Benavidez' Regiment). Under the command of Col. Santos Benavidez.

L to R - Refugio Benavidez, Atanacio Vidaurri, Cristobal Benavidez, John Z. Leyendecker. Approx 2500 Tejanos fought on the side of the CSA.

Capt. Refugio Benavidez- served as alderman and 3 time mayor of Laredo. Appointed by Gov. Richard Coke to raise a company of rangers to fight bandits and Kickapoo Indians along the border. Died 1899
2ndLt. Atanacio Vidaurri - served as Mayor of Laredo in 1878.
Capt. Cristobal Benavidez- survived the war. Served several terms as mayor of Laredo. Died 1904.
1stLt. John Zirvas Leyendecker- Quartermaster and brother in law to Cristobal Benavidez. Served as quartermaster for the occupying Union troops after the war. Postmaster of Laredo. Died 1902.
(not to be confused with another CSA officer Johann Friedrich (John) Leyendecker of Colorado County Tx)
Mayor West
AG
30wedge said:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

This is one of my favorites.

Great, great photo. Much better than images like Patton, or MacArthur returning to the Philippines. This POW returning home, and his family, you can almost write a story line. The joy of (I suspect) his daughter, arms wide open and about to hug her Daddy when she must have wondered for months or years if she would ever see him again.

Unfortunately a little more to this story:

[url] https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/coming-home-106013338/[/url]

Quote:

It remains the quintessential homecoming photograph of the time. Stirm, 39, who had endured gunshot wounds, torture, illness, starvation and despair in North Vietnamese prison camps, including the infamous Hanoi Hilton, is pictured in a crisp new uniform. Because his back is to the camera, as Veder points out, the officer seems anonymous, an everyman who represented not only the hundreds of POW's released that spring but all the troops in Vietnam who would return home to the mothers, fathers, wives, daughters and sons they'd left behind. "It's a hero's welcome for guys who weren't always seen or treated as heroes," says Donald Goldstein, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel and a coauthor of The Vietnam War: The Stories and The Photographs, of the Stirm family reunion picture. "After years of fighting a war we couldn't win, a war that tore us apart, it was finally over, and the country could start healing."

But there was more to the story than was captured on film. Three days before Stirm landed at Travis, a chaplain had handed him a Dear John letter from his wife. "I can't help but feel ambivalent about it," Stirm says today of the photograph. "I was very pleased to see my childrenI loved them all and still do, and I know they had a difficult timebut there was a lot to deal with."
Post removed:
by user
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
JJMt said:

Thanks. I always wondered about the rest of the story when I see that picture. From other articles about returning POWs, and also all returning veterans, the transition back to a family again is frequently very difficult.

From the comments below the article:

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments. I am Col. Stirm's oldest grandchild (30 years old), and his oldest child Lorrie's oldest son.
To those that had expressed a desire to return a bracelet to Col. Stirm, or for any other information, please feel free to email me: chrisclarkcpt@gmail.com
To those that touched on his first wife's (and my grandmother) "infidelity", I think everyone should know that his children and their mother did not know the status of their father/husband. He was a POW for 6 years, and for 6 long years his 4 children grew up being told by the military that they had no idea where their father was or if he was alive. They were never told that he was being held as a POW, or if he would ever return, or he was even alive or dead. The same went for his wife, who had struggled as a homemaker who had never paid bills or managed family matters until her husband left for Vietnam. After several years of heartache and struggle, life played it's course and a new relationship developed for Loretta. The "Dear John" letter was written so that Loretta could come to terms that her husband was not coming back and that life was moving on, she wrote it expecting him to never see it, as she heartbreakingly believed she would never see him again. Upon his return, she broke off her relationship and attempted to salvage her broken family now that all of the pieces had physically been put back together. Unfortunately, the marriage would not survive, and both remarried (Col. Stirm divorced in the last 10 years, and Loretta passed away from Cancer in 2010, still married to the same man she had met while Col. Stirm was a POW). This is an extremely sensitive family matter, and I beg all who choose to comment publicly, to please refrain from passing judgement on either person with regards to the relationship between Col. Robert Stirm & Loretta. Thank you.
Mayor West
AG
Thanks for that. I wasn't posting to pass any judgement, just to add additional context to the photo, which you also have
fasthorse05
Damn!

I don't know if that falls under "Life is unfair" or "Everything happens for a reason", but number 1 certainly applies.
CanyonAg77
AG

Quote:

A Salute to Pfc. Harry E. Lorenzo Veteran of Operation Torch and the Battle of the Bulge

Pfc. Harry E. Lorenzo, 1849 Genesee Street, Buffalo, NY, served in the Army during World War II as a paratrooper with the 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion. He took part in Operation Torch and the Battle of the Bulge. Here he is shown holding his pup "Kaput" near Katharinenberg, Germany. (April 7, 1945)

At the end of the war, he volunteered to serve as an investigator with graves registration units searching for and relocating American and British paratroopers killed and buried by the Germans during the assault on the Rhine River bridge at Arnhem.

Returning from service, he attended the University of Buffalo and earned his juris doctor degree from Brooklyn Law School in 1951. He entered a law practice with his brother Arthur and specialized in civil litigation. Harry was a life member of USS Maine Post 73, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and a former member of Milton J. Brounshidle Post 205, American Legion.

Pfc. Harry Lorenzo passed away on February 19, 2017. He was 92 years old. Lest We Forget.

30wedge
[url=<a][/url]

Norm Hatch, Marine combat photographer giving a kitten water on Tarawa
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Mayor West said:

Thanks for that. I wasn't posting to pass any judgement, just to add additional context to the photo, which you also have

Yes sir. I just happened to look at the comments and there it was. Life is usually more complex than any of us realize, me included.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's a great photo, have not seen that one before.
BrazosBendHorn
I love this pic of East German soldier Conrad Schumann defecting to West Berlin in 1961 ...

aggiejim70
AG
This one hits close to home. As a result of it, I may have had the shortest Eagle Scout Board of Review in history. All the community leaders on the board wanted to get home to see the fight.

The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Aust Ag
AG
Mayor West said:

I'm sorry to say I don't know the story with this one. Looks like Hitler's "getaway house"...is that our guys making themselves at home afterwards?
Agthatbuilds
Aust Ag said:

Mayor West said:

I'm sorry to say I don't know the story with this one. Looks like Hitler's "getaway house"...is that our guys making themselves at home afterwards?

That's easy company at kehlsteinhaus. Band of brothers captures them in the hbo miniseries
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.