Korean War Museum - from the other side

1,444 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ArmyTanker
gggmann
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was going through some old photos and came across some that I thought some you war history buffs might find interesting. Back in 2010 I lived in China, and one weekend I drove up to Dandong which is just across the Yalu from North Korea. Anyway, to make a long story short they have a museum and memorial there titled, "The Memorial of the War to Resist US Aggression and Aid Korea". I couldn't resist, so I went in and had a look see - quite a Chinese propaganda take on everything. I posted a few photos below along w/ a few I took of the Yalu and North Korea.

Memorial outside the Museum:

Museum:

Any example of one of the many placards spinning the story

The broken bridge we bombed multiple times during the war:

North Korea as seen from the end of the broken bridge (that Ferris wheel is fake):

A North Korean factory as seen from the Dandong side of the Yalu

North Korea as seen from the Easternmost point of the Great Wall of China:
AtlAg05
AG
Thanks for sharing
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
ja86
AG
very cool!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Thanks for sharing those awesome photos.

I'm gonna spend some time trying to determine what that green aircraft on the far right of that photo, the one with the twin tail, is. Looks like a WWII design.

edit - I believe that is a Tupolev Tu-2, which first flew in 1941.
ArmyTanker
Thank you for the cool pictures. I hope I don't offend anyone with this post.

THE GENERAL WHO SAVED THE KOREAN WAR

In 1951 General Matthew Ridgeway took command of all the UN forces in Korea. He had a week to survey the UN forces and prepare them for defending against the big offensive attack conducted by the N Koreans and Chinese moving South.

He had a photographic memory and remembered all the names of soldiers he met on the front line. He improved food and issued warmer uniforms. General Ridgeway asked his division commanders what there tactical plans were and if their primary plans were retreating, he fired them on the spot and replaced them with generals who wanted to fight.

The UN forces were in a defensive posture North of Seoul and were pushed South of Seoul. This is the point he used his photographic memory to turn the direction of the war. General Ridgway was able to remember thousands of names of soldiers he met. He studied many maps and memorized all the key terrain features like roads, creeks, hills, mountains, and rivers. When the UN forces counterattacked he knew exactly the kind of terrain his divisions would see. He used this method to move the UN forces North in a methodical manner to counterattack the enemy effectively. He was instrumental in saving the Korean War from defeat.

By no means was he a stuffy general. He did an airborne jump with the 82nd in WWII without any training. He visited the soldiers on the front on a regular basis and he had a habit of peeing in the direction of the Germans as they lobbed in artillery shells. I just wanted to share the story of a remarkable military leader. He was definitely a soldiers' general.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.