Excavating bodies around Stalingrad

2,269 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JABQ04
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Video of excavation and reburial of bodies from Stalingrad. Interesting and strange all at the same time. It is kind of a video journal of clips. Thought some would find interesting

Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Krautag81
I hope they don't blow themselves up with the old live ordinance.
JABQ04
AG
There's a few YouTube channels I watch about digging up stuff from the Eastern Front. Pretty neat. It's also mind blowing Russia took more KIA at Stalingrad than we took the entire war in Europe and the Pacific.
danieljustin06
AG
That was (and probably still is) the communist way. No life is important, just the party and state. Just throw enough bodies and you'll eventually win.

That said, given the extreme unreadiness of the red army with no equipment, they just had to send people in with orders to pick up a rifle from a dead or wounded Conrad and fight in his spot/on top of him.
AgBQ-00
AG
I thought the same thing. The way they were jamming that shovel down on the mortar shells had me tense.
BCOBQ98
AG
Doesn't seem to precise of a dig. So bodies the could identify easily get individual graves and the rest get consolidated.

I didn't see anything about German recovered however I saw many German dog tags?

AgBQ-00
AG
Yes it seemed very haphazard. That was the strangeness to me in the video. But I guess when you have untold numbers of bodies to find dig and move it would be hard to do it more delicately. I kept thinking the whole time watchi g that it all seemed so very Russian.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

There's a few YouTube channels I watch about digging up stuff from the Eastern Front. Pretty neat. It's also mind blowing Russia took more KIA at Stalingrad than we took the entire war in Europe and the Pacific.
Not really. Leader didn't give two sh*ts about casualties.
30wedge
BCOBQ98 said:

Doesn't seem to precise of a dig. So bodies the could identify easily get individual graves and the rest get consolidated.

I didn't see anything about German recovered however I saw many German dog tags?

Correct, very different from our approach where the goal is to identify every set of remains that we find. I have been on a site in the Pacific on two occasions (and hope to spend a couple of months there as a volunteer in the near future) and our recovery efforts are beyond precise. Bones are not commingled and are put in labeled evidence bags. Even the Japanese remains are handled with the utmost respect. As I understand it, every few months the Japanese send folks to take the bones we find but I do not think they attempt to do any identification of the remains.

We use dental records and DNA to try and get our boys identified and sent back home.

I guess with the Russians, if the remains had dog tags or other identification they get the individual burial but those lacking any identification are placed in the boxes with others and buried in the mass grave. Perhaps it is just the sheer number they are dealing with.

Thanks to the OP for posting this video.
Jayhawk
JABQ04 said:

I feel bad for the Russian soldiers. The Soviet Union as a country deserved whatever they got. I hope the remains of the men they found received a proper Russian Orthodox burial.
spud1910
AG
Jayhawk said:

JABQ04 said:

I feel bad for the Russian soldiers. The Soviet Union as a country deserved whatever they got. I hope the remains of the men they found received a proper Russian Orthodox burial.
Yeah, it was definitely a tough time. My wife is from Moscow. I think both of her grandfathers died during WWII. Her paternal grandmother died as she and her 14 year old son (my wife's dad) were on a train leaving. He was 14 and went on to military school. She has many stories of family that went to war and they never came home, but they never learned exactly what happened.
Smokedraw01
I watched a few more videos that were German specific. What is a "Pioneer"?
JABQ04
AG
Combat Engineer
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.