Probably a dumb question (WW2 related)

4,716 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dcbowers
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why was Montgomery so highly thought of? I've always thought he was rather over hyped but that is just an impression I have.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Jayhawk
El Alamein I would imagine. The British really did not have very many unilateral victories in the war. And up until the battle of El Alamein they had really been getting the worse of it from the Germans (and Japanese). So even though the numbers, supplies, etc. were overwhelmingly in the Brits favor, and even though it was a bit of a travesty that the North Africa situation had gotten as out of hand as they had , he still got the W and the prestige that went with it when his country did not have much good news .
AgBQ-00
AG
That was what I was thinking but was unsure if there was something I am missing.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
BQ78
AG
Even before that, he stopped Rommel at Alam el Halfa inflicting nearly 3-1 casualties on the Germans and Italians, even while he was reforming and building up the Eighth Army, which had pretty low morale until he came aboard. To me that is a greater accomplishment than El Alamein which was an easy win with huge minefields in front and a short front between the Mediterranean and impassable Qattar Depression.
74OA
AG
Exactly, and he was able to live off of that largely defensive victory for the rest of the war, even when his lack of aggressiveness and unwillingness to take any risk became a real Allied liability during offensive ops in Europe.
USAFAg
AG
True, but to be fair, at least to the Brits as a whole, they were nearing the end of their manpower reserves and feared a large casualty count for both political reasons and memories of the WWI slaughter. The Brits wanted a war of attrition by attacking the peripheries. (Which doesn't make sense to me when you are running out of men as well). They wanted to avoid the direct assault on Europe.

Ironically, their slow methodical approach cost them as much or more than a bolder approach.

Montgomery's failure to take Caen (which stalled the D-Day breakout and allowed the Germans to recover and threaten the beachhead), failure of Goodwood (with large armor and infantry casualties), failure to take the Scheldt before the Germans fortified it after losing Antwerp (which lead to in large part the fuel supply crisis as we approached the German frontiers) and Market-Garden which got the 1st Airborne Division virtually destroyed and 30 Corps manhandled. Poor planning, poor intelligence, marginal/bad and slow leadership all directly tied to Montgomery.

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
dcbowers
AG
USA*** said:

True, but to be fair, at least to the Brits as a whole, they were nearing the end of their manpower reserves and feared a large casualty count for both political reasons and memories of the WWI slaughter. The Brits wanted a war of attrition by attacking the peripheries. (Which doesn't make sense to me when you are running out of men as well). They wanted to avoid the direct assault on Europe.

Ironically, their slow methodical approach cost them as much or more than a bolder approach.

Montgomery's failure to take Caen (which stalled the D-Day breakout and allowed the Germans to recover and threaten the beachhead), failure of Goodwood (with large armor and infantry casualties), failure to take the Scheldt before the Germans fortified it after losing Antwerp (which lead to in large part the fuel supply crisis as we approached the German frontiers) and Market-Garden which got the 1st Airborne Division virtually destroyed and 30 Corps manhandled. Poor planning, poor intelligence, marginal/bad and slow leadership all directly tied to Montgomery.

If Monty would have succeeded in only two of the above four, then the War in Europe would have been over by Christmas 1944.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ABATTBQ87
AG
dcbowers said:

USA*** said:

If Monty would have succeeded in only two of the above four, then the War in Europe would have been over by Christmas 1944.
If Monty would have quickly and decisively closed the Falaise Gap with US Forces and not allowed German troops to escape, and if Market Garden would have been over the Rhine with Patton's armor in the lead WWII in Europe would have been over by Christmas 1944.
dcbowers
AG
Similar question: Why was Douglas MacArthur so highly thought of? He may have been controversial in his time (e.g., "Dugout Doug"), but he was awarded the Medal of Honor, had 5 stars, and accepted the surrender and led the post-war occupation of Japan. I have just never appreciated his accomplishments, especially when compared with our other generals and admirals in the Second World War.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BQ78
AG
It is a bit ironic that he proposed Market-Garden which was too bold a plan.

Monty does take the heat but some of it has to fall on the poorer equipment the British Army had (except their 17 pound gun) and the lower morale of the soldiers that sort of impacted bold offensive operations. Your point about World War I and casualties is very prescient.
YZ250
The more I read about WWII the less I like the British. They were too focused on preserving their empire. They pushed for Europe first but kept pushing for delaying the invasion.
BQ78
AG
His dad was a MOH general and McArthur was a general in WW1. He was pretty good at getting along with the locals and getting what he needed out of them.

His WW2 record is not glowing but I give him props for Inchon in Korea but utter failure with intel after that.
YZ250
I'm a big fan of MacArthur. I see him as a visionary. From a young age he had experience in Asia and understood the importance of Asia. He had a good record in WWI, led West Point and the US Olympic team.

I believe the attacks on MacArthur came from the Democrats because they saw him as a political foe for president. After all, Roosevelt called him the most dangerous man in America. They were happy when he left for the Philippines to build up their army. The Governor Generals of the Philippines were Democrats who did not like MacArthur. They along with Sec. of the Interior Harold Ickes opposed everything that MacArthur wanted to do. Ickes was furious when MacArthur liberated the Philippines and placed Osmena as President as Ickes wanted to rule the Philippines.

When the war started in the Philippines MacArthur was promised supplies which was a lie. None were coming as they had already decided to sacrifice him. Despite this the Army held out for months while most of the Navy had fled.

As commander of the SWPA he received a very small percentage of the war supply at the beginning of the war. Yet, he was able to defeat the Japanese in New Guinea in one of the most difficult fighting terrains. He followed that up with the liberation of the Philippines, Borneo and then the occupation of Japan.
OldArmy71
AG
On MacArthur, my dim memory is that he totally botched the plan to defend the Philippines.

The accounts I have read say that he was paralyzed with indecision for a significant length of time after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

One thing that leaps to mind is that he failed to secure the supplies that were to have been brought to the defensive positions in the Bataan Peninsula and that were supposed to sustain his army until reinforcements arrived (I agree with the poster above who said that reinforcements were not forthcoming, so maybe that's a moot point).
Smeghead4761
YZ250 said:

When the war started in the Philippines MacArthur was promised supplies which was a lie. None were coming as they had already decided to sacrifice him. Despite this the Army held out for months while most of the Navy had fled.

As commander of the SWPA he received a very small percentage of the war supply at the beginning of the war. Yet, he was able to defeat the Japanese in New Guinea in one of the most difficult fighting terrains. He followed that up with the liberation of the Philippines, Borneo and then the occupation of Japan.

The irony of the situation in the Philippines when the war started is that MacArthur should have known that no reinforcements would be coming, because that's what the version of WAR PLAN ORANGE in effect at the time called for. And who was the Chief of Staff of the Army and president of the Joint Board when that plan was approved? Douglas MacArthur

As if was, MacArthur bungled the early stages of the fight against the Japanese invasion, attempting to fight superior Japanese army forces on the plains between Lingayen Gulf and Manila, rather than constructing defensive lines and stockpiling what supplies he had to hold out on Bataan and Correigidor as long as possible. As impressive as the defense of Bataan was, it was largely an ad hoc affair.

WAR PLAN ORANGE recognized that getting enough reinforcements to the PI in time to prevent the fall of the islands wasn't realistic, and called for the defenders to hold out as long as possible (on Bataan), and thus deny the Japanese the use of Manila and Manila Bay, buying the Fleet more time to gather its resources and make the methodical drive through the Japanese held islands of the Central Pacific.

And remember - WAR PLAN ORANGE was for a one-on-one U.S. vs Japan fight, meaning it assumed all of America's military resources would be available for the war against Japan, instead of the main effort being somewhere else.

So, even if the FDR administration freaked out and promised reinforcements for political reasons, as a practical military matter, MacArthur should have known that they weren't coming, even if a) the Pacific fleet hadn't been gutted at Pearl Harbor, and b) the U.S. wasn't also at war with Germany a few days after Pearl Harbor.
YZ250
I don't understand the point of the criticism. He should have stuck to the plan that called for a defensive retreat for the purpose of delaying the fall? He, Wainright and Sutherland hated that plan. Don't forget that MacArthur was also in charge of the Philippine Army and had Filipino troops in addition to only 22,000 American troops. MacArthur tried to oppose the invasion but later implemented the retreat to Bataan. They successfully delayed the inevitable which is according to plan. I don't think we have a single general who wouldn't at least try to oppose the Japanese landings. So he did deviate from the plan but ended with the same result.

Whenever the fall of the Philippines is talked about nobody ever talks about the Navy. They got out of there and did almost nothing to oppose the landings even though they had 29 submarines in the Asiatic fleet. They didn't even try to supply the Army. You said that MacArthur should have known that supplies would not come. Why should he think this when he was repeatedly told that they were coming? Quezon was told the same thing. Eisenhower himself was one who was actually trying to get supplies there. To me that is the real failure if you are going to criticize the fall of the Philippines: the Navy doing nothing to oppose the Japanese and not even trying to bring in supplies.

Back to the plans. MacArthur didn't come up with the war plans himself as it was a joint plan with the Navy that had been in development for years. MacArthur hadn't been Chief of Staff since 1935. Almost 7 years. He had retired from the Army in 1937 and wasn't recalled to duty until July of 1941. During that time the plans had been revised.

My point is when talking of MacArthur in WWII they always focus on the fall of the Philippines and not on the New Guinea campaign or the liberation of the Philippines. I don't believe he lost a battle once he went on the offensive.
Post removed:
by user
USAFAg
AG
JJMt said:

Eisenhower, who was MacArthur's Chief of Staff, was extremely critical of him. As just one example of his criticisms, MacArthur refused to disperse his aircraft despite repeated warnings of a Japanese attack. As a result, his entire Air Corps was destroyed on the ground, if I remember correctly.
The attack took place about 10 hours after the Pearl Harbor raid. Still, no real excuse for the lack of preparation with what forces McA had at his disposal and just as at pearl Harbor, sabotage was feared more than surprise attack. Probably wouldn't have made much difference given they were too few for the AOR, too piecemeal in makeup and in general too poorly trained and equipped.

The result of the "false economy of peacetime" or as it is called now the "peace dividend".

Brereton, McA's air chief, gets blamed for having his planes destroyed mostly on the ground, but that was mostly bad luck and unfortunate timing. The Japanese had already been making raids around the PI. He wanted to bomb Formosa, but was ordered not to bomb up his planes and only conduct a recce mission instead. So he launched the recce mission (3 bombers) and all the serviceable fighters and most the remaining bombers (stayed local). By the time the recce bombers had returned to refuel, the fighters where already on the ground refueling and the bombers had landed to finally bomb up for a raid. That's when they got caught by the Japanese. While there was a squadron of fighters up, they were low on fuel, outclassed and out numbered.

The unfortunate part of it was is that Bereton had launched them at the right time to avoid getting caught on the ground....had the Japanese raid taken off on time. They had been delayed by weather.

Obviously, this is a simplified overview.

OldArmy71
AG
That is my memory also.
USAFAg
AG
YZ250 said:

I don't understand the point of the criticism. He should have stuck to the plan that called for a defensive retreat for the purpose of delaying the fall? He, Wainright and Sutherland hated that plan. Don't forget that MacArthur was also in charge of the Philippine Army and had Filipino troops in addition to only 22,000 American troops. MacArthur tried to oppose the invasion but later implemented the retreat to Bataan. They successfully delayed the inevitable which is according to plan. I don't think we have a single general who wouldn't at least try to oppose the Japanese landings. So he did deviate from the plan but ended with the same result.

Whenever the fall of the Philippines is talked about nobody ever talks about the Navy. They got out of there and did almost nothing to oppose the landings even though they had 29 submarines in the Asiatic fleet. They didn't even try to supply the Army. You said that MacArthur should have known that supplies would not come. Why should he think this when he was repeatedly told that they were coming? Quezon was told the same thing. Eisenhower himself was one who was actually trying to get supplies there. To me that is the real failure if you are going to criticize the fall of the Philippines: the Navy doing nothing to oppose the Japanese and not even trying to bring in supplies.

Back to the plans. MacArthur didn't come up with the war plans himself as it was a joint plan with the Navy that had been in development for years. MacArthur hadn't been Chief of Staff since 1935. Almost 7 years. He had retired from the Army in 1937 and wasn't recalled to duty until July of 1941. During that time the plans had been revised.

My point is when talking of MacArthur in WWII they always focus on the fall of the Philippines and not on the New Guinea campaign or the liberation of the Philippines. I don't believe he lost a battle once he went on the offensive.
These are good points, but I'm not real sure you can blame the Navy (other than the supplies and reinforcements never came. But the plan hinged on the Pacific Fleet still being viable).

The Pacific Fleet was destroyed at Pearl Harbor.

The Asiatic fleet (forgive me, I am just going on memory) had 1 Heavy cruiser (USS Houston), 2 Light Cruisers (USS Marblehead (a WWI era cruiser) and USS Boise (Modern-attached). 13 WWI destroyers, 29 subs (1/4 old S-boats and all with defective torpedoes), ~6 old China River Gunboats, a destroyer tender, a sub tender, a couple of fleet oilers and minesweepers, a couple of squadrons of PBYs, etc.,etc. In other words, not much and most of it old, worn, not modernized and spread out trying to execute more tasks than it had assets for. And pretty bad/slow/late overall intelligence, so they were often late to an event and therefore could not effect it. And ZERO air power.

Any one of the Japanese task forces roaming the area and supporting landings was strong enough to destroy the Asiatic fleet by themselves, even if the Navy had been able to mass all it's ships together. In fact, that's essentially what happened when the combined US, British, Dutch and Australian fleet (ABDA) tried to intercept an invasion task force in the Java Sea. They lost most of their ships, then and when they subsequently tried to escape to Australia. The Asiatic Fleet tried multiple times to oppose the Japanese landings with little to no success. They just didn't have the muscle to make a difference.

Again, just a cursory over view, but the Navy lost almost everything trying hard to execute a war plan that was obsolete the moment the first Japanese bomb fell at Pearl Harbor.

Post removed:
by user
YZ250
That's true that Eisenhower was criticial of MacArthur at times and rightly so. But Eisenhower also pointed out that he voluntarily served under MacArthur for many years.

As USAF Ag pointed out the destruction of the planes on the ground was more about bad timing than refusing to disperse them. They also had started routine patrols at the beginning of December. I find that complaint funny as well. While planes closer together on the ground are easier to take out, spreading them out doesn't help much either. Also, the Japanese apparently didn't learn that lesson either as the Flying Tigers in Burma routinely attacked Japanese bases where the planes were parked next to each other.
YZ250
I guess that is my point. The Navy gets a pass but MacArthur and the Army don't? My opinion for this discrepancy is politics.
JonSnow
Pearl Harbor was a suprise attack that should have been detected but wasn't. The Japanese attack on the Phillipines should have been expected. DM allowing his air force to be destroyed is unforgiveable and should have resulted in his removal from command.
JonSnow
Also MacArthur not listening to obvious intelligence of Chinese involvment in Korea led to Chosin and many marine deaths.
CT'97
AG
To the original OP, I had the opportunity to spend a week touring Normandy up through Falaise with a group of wounded British and US soldiers and marines. It was a British run program so had British staff and they brought along a couple of British history professors.

First and foremost the British have much more of a respect and understanding of WW1 and Montgomery's accomplishments there are where his support starts. This is also where the impression that the US is the johnny come lately that shows up at the end after the hard fighting is over, mop up the remnants of the German army and take all the credit. Of course we get the opposite narrative in the US, that the British and French were faffing about for years and the US shows up and shows them how it's done. Like all things the reality is somewhere in the middle.

The distinct difference between the British perspective and the US was noticeable. As far as Montgomery goes the overall impression was that at Normandy Montgomery was doing the hard fighting against the best Germany Panzer and SS units while the US was fighting old men and foreign conscripts. The historians corrected this to some extent, the US did face the Panzer Lehr division Germany's only fully mounted division, but still held to this primary opinion. On the stalled push to Caen they held to the opinion that he had to be cautious so as not to expose his flank to the heavy Panzer divisions to his north.

I think all the British senior officers felt the impact of the man power shortages and utter devastation that WW1 had on their country and were determined not to allow that to happen again. Even our own leadership admitted after the war to not fighting at the invasion of Germany the same way we fought at Normandy. Front line leaders were more willing to just let artillery hammer a position before pushing troops or even bypassing a known strong point to allow it to be hit with bombs and artillery and then mopped up by follow on units.

I also think it has to do with a very steady methodical way of British thinking that doesn't allow for a lot of aggressive out of doctrine attacks. That is a contrast to the leaders we hold in high regard who are aggressive and almost impulsive to a fault. So I think some of the differences in understanding comes from a different set a values being used to judge the person.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
Rabid Cougar
AG
CT'97 said:

The distinct difference between the British perspective and the US was noticeable. As far as Montgomery goes the overall impression was that at Normandy Montgomery was doing the hard fighting against the best Germany Panzer and SS units while the US was fighting old men and foreign conscripts. The historians corrected this to some extent, the US did face the Panzer Lehr division Germany's only fully mounted division, but still held to this primary opinion. On the stalled push to Caen they held to the opinion that he had to be cautious so as not to expose his flank to the heavy Panzer divisions to his north.
Caen was supposed to be taken on D-day. It took them two months to get 9 miles.
74OA
AG
We can debate the influence of national character and experience--and they are important--but as USAF-ag detailed earlier, the Allied invasion and breakout plans assigned Montgomery a series of important objectives and he achieved none of them on time, despite him agreeing to them many months in advance and having been given plentiful resources--both British and US--to work with.

A setback here and there, okay, that's war, but the recurring cycle of poor British staff work and plodding execution can fairly be attributed to Monty's own style and leadership. After all, he was in uninterrupted command the entire time from Normandy until VE Day.

(N.B. My mother is proudly British and I was raised to be equally proud of that side of my heritage, so I am certainly not predisposed to be critical of Monty.)
Post removed:
by user
JABQ04
AG
74OA
AG
JJMt said:

Quote:

Front line leaders were more willing to just let artillery hammer a position before pushing troops or even bypassing a known strong point to allow it to be hit with bombs and artillery and then mopped up by follow on units.
My dad wrote a novel set in Germany during WW 2 (his main character was an Aggie!). My dad went to Germany in the 80s (I think) to do research on the settings and geography to make sure that he did not make any dumb mistakes. While there, he met an old German soldier from a Panzer unit and they talked for quite a while. The German soldier complained bitterly about exactly what you describe - he said that the U.S. forces wouldn't engage and fight like real men, but would hold off and simply pound the German lines with artillery.

It's my impression that artillery is one of the areas in which the U.S. has always excelled. I wait to hear, though, what the more knowledgeable contributors to this board have to say.
As if the Germans wouldn't have done the same if they'd had similar resources at their disposal. Americans go into warfare with no intention of fighting fairly. That's for the losers to whine about.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JJMt said:

Quote:

Front line leaders were more willing to just let artillery hammer a position before pushing troops or even bypassing a known strong point to allow it to be hit with bombs and artillery and then mopped up by follow on units.
My dad wrote a novel set in Germany during WW 2 (his main character was an Aggie!). My dad went to Germany in the 80s (I think) to do research on the settings and geography to make sure that he did not make any dumb mistakes. While there, he met an old German soldier from a Panzer unit and they talked for quite a while. The German soldier complained bitterly about exactly what you describe - he said that the U.S. forces wouldn't engage and fight like real men, but would hold off and simply pound the German lines with artillery.

It's my impression that artillery is one of the areas in which the U.S. has always excelled. I wait to hear, though, what the more knowledgeable contributors to this board have to say.
Said the team that infiltrated entire armor divisions through impenetrable forests, not once but twice (1940 and 1944) and attacked multiple nations without provocations or warning. Yep... fighting like real men.

Let's no forget using anti aircraft guns to shoot tanks before the tanks could get into range with their own guns.....and using the best site optics in the world... totally unfair.

Russians were no slouch with artillery either and were rather good at the good ol' massed "overwhelm you with numbers" assaults too.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

Still applicable today. Saw lots of 120's expended on five Taliban one March morning at Khas Kunar.
JABQ04
AG
Amen. Why fight fair? You might lose.
74OA
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

JJMt said:

Quote:

Said the team that infiltrated entire armor divisions through impenetrable forests, not once but twice (1940 and 1944) and attacked multiple nations without provocations or warning. Yep... fighting like real men.

Let's no forget using anti aircraft guns to shoot tanks before the tanks could get into range with their own guns.....and using the best site optics in the world... totally unfair.

Russians were no slouch with artillery either and were rather good at the good ol' massed "overwhelm you with numbers" assaults too.

.......not to mention murdering defenseless civilians in their millions. Manly, indeed.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.