Desert Storm Air War night 1

2,306 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fascinating watch. Much in the vein of the Pearl Harbor and Midway breakdowns this is a visual breakdown time lapse and look into the 1st night of air ops. really cool

ja86
AG
I am amazed that there weren't more friendly fire incidents given the number of aircraft/cruise missiles in the air.
Ciboag96
Objects not to map scale
Eliminatus
AG
Clicked over from Montemayors (another fantastic YouTuber) and watched the whole thing. Got a new channel to dive through now.
akaggie05
AG
ja86 said:

I am amazed that there weren't more friendly fire incidents given the number of aircraft/cruise missiles in the air.

Perfect example of Identification Friend or Foe systems doing their job. The stuff has only gotten better since the early 90s.
ArmyTanker
I believe there are many weapons systems with effective ranges that go beyond the ability to identify friend or foe. The M1 tank is an example. A vehicle 2.5 miles away looks like a little dot through the 8X scope. I believe there were a handful of M1 tank friendly fire incidents in Desert Storm.
Rabid Cougar
AG
ArmyTanker said:

I believe there are many weapons systems with effective ranges that go beyond the ability to identify friend or foe. The M1 tank is an example. A vehicle 2.5 miles away looks like a little dot through the 8X scope. I believe there were a handful of M1 tank friendly fire incidents in Desert Storm.

That's because they were shooting at targets where US/ Allied forces were not supposed to be. They shot other M1s and Bradly's.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.