Was Patton right? (communist related)

8,865 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JABQ04
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
IDAGG said:

I think you meat to reply to unknown_handle. You and I are basically saying the same thing.

Correct. I started it off as an add on to yours but shifted midway through it to a reply to him. Apologies.

My high school English teachers would be very disappointed.
Unknown_handle
AG
Your reading comphension has failed you. No where did I say start a nuclear war in Europe.

VE day was in May 1945 while the first live test of a nuke was in July 1945. Once we dropped two bombs in August on Japan Stalin had no idea of what our arsenal would be or where they were or if we had the ability to drop a bomb on Moscow. The threat of us nuking Russia could have been used to get the Soviets to get out of Eastern Europe. But again this would be contrary to FDR's promise to give them what they conquered from Germany.

Five years later, if the Chicoms thought for a second that Truman would make China into a glass parking lot they would have never attacked us in North Korea. Yes Russia had nukes but China correctly surmised that Truman was a weak leader. He was too chicken to even use conventional bombs to blow up the bridges that the Chicoms used to bring in the eventual 3 million Chinese troops that fought the US led UN coalition in the Korean War from 1950 to 1953. It is estimated that somewhere between 110,000 to 180,000 Chinese soldiers died in the Korean War. Again another war that would not have occurred if we had kicked the Soviets out of eastern Europe at the end of WWII.
Buck Turgidson
After we dropped the two bombs on Japan, how long would it have taken us to build a dozen or two more nukes to hit the major industrial and population centers of European Russia?

Also, not to derail, but I never did understand why we didn't just glass the Chicoms in the Korean war. Never have gotten a sound explanation for that, other than Truman was a ***** or "Russians". Shoulda nuked North Vietnam too (but it probably wouldn't have been necessary if China was already turned into a parking lot 15 or so years earlier.
chickencoupe16
AG
Unknown_handle said:

Your reading comphension has failed you. No where did I say start a nuclear war in Europe.

VE day was in May 1945 while the first live test of a nuke was in July 1945. Once we dropped two bombs in August on Japan Stalin had no idea of what our arsenal would be or where they were or if we had the ability to drop a bomb on Moscow. The threat of us nuking Russia could have been used to get the Soviets to get out of Eastern Europe. But again this would be contrary to FDR's promise to give them what they conquered from Germany.

Five years later, if the Chicoms thought for a second that Truman would make China into a glass parking lot they would have never attacked us in North Korea. Yes Russia had nukes but China correctly surmised that Truman was a weak leader. He was too chicken to even use conventional bombs to blow up the bridges that the Chicoms used to bring in the eventual 3 million Chinese troops that fought the US led UN coalition in the Korean War from 1950 to 1953. It is estimated that somewhere between 110,000 to 180,000 Chinese soldiers died in the Korean War. Again another war that would not have occurred if we had kicked the Soviets out of eastern Europe at the end of WWII.

Stalin probably knew a lot more about ours nuke situation that you think. The Manhattan Project was filled with spies which is why the Soviets were able to build their own nukes so quickly.
chickencoupe16
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

After we dropped the two bombs on Japan, how long would it have taken us to build a dozen or two more nukes to hit the major industrial and population centers of European Russia?

Also, not to derail, but I never did understand why we didn't just glass the Chicoms in the Korean war. Never have gotten a sound explanation for that, other than Truman was a ***** or "Russians". Shoulda nuked North Vietnam too (but it probably wouldn't have been necessary if China was already turned into a parking lot 15 or so years earlier.

The logic behind not extending into China is where do you stop? You nuke China because they sent trips into Korea. Reasonable. Now they send more and being so large, with such a tight grip on the populace and disdain for their own people's lives, the nukes aren't working. So you invade China.

Keep in mind, Soviet equipment and supplies are pouring in to China. When the Korean War began, the North was better equipped than the Chinese thanks to the Soviets. Now that equipment is being funneled to the Chinese. So you bomb the railroads. But with so many people, the Chinese are able to repair them quickly and with such a large border, the roads into China also become filled with incoming equipment.

Much of the equipment is being shipped from nearby Russian cities like Vladivostok. So do you nuke Russian cities? With a large portion of your forces tied up in China and Korea, the Soviets invade Western Europe. You're now fighting a two front war against two of the two largest armies in the world.
CT'97
AG
I think you are vastly underestimating the capabilities of the Red army in 1945. This wasn't a peasant army that won through sheer force of numbers and could only execute mass wave attacks. The Wehrmacht post war reviews described the Red armies leadership as outstanding. They had more men, more tanks, more artillery pieces, more of everything you needed to fight a war. The days of troops going into battle without rifles or not having ammo were long gone.

You are correct in their lack of concern for their troops lives. The Soviets sustained more casualties during Stalingrad then the US and British did in the entire war. Let that sink in for a minute. They had 11 million men and women in uniform in May 45 and were willing to use them in ways we couldn't even fathom.

The IS 2 tanks, of which they have 250 in May 1945, far out classed our Pershing tanks in every way. The IS 3 was just coming on line.

The use of the atomic bombs would be a moot point as the Red army would have pushed us out of Germany by the winter of 45 and we would be fighting in France not Germany in the Spring of 46.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
Stive
AG
Trying to bluff Stalin with the "see what we just did to Japan? We'll do that to you if you don't move back east" when you don't have any more of those weapons is probably a terrible idea. Based on how Stalin didn't give a crap about anyone in his entire country other than himself I'm guessing he would have laughed at the threat. As stated earlier, he probably knew we didn't have any more at that point, it's doubtful we could have even reached any Russian population centers with those weapons due to distance and Russian air superiority in those areas, and even if we could, he just flat out wouldn't have cared.

Other than Patton and a few other zealous individuals, we wanted no part of fighting the USSR at that time.
Buck Turgidson
chickencoupe16 said:

Buck Turgidson said:

The logic behind not extending into China is where do you stop? You nuke China because they sent trips into Korea. Reasonable. Now they send more and being so large, with such a tight grip on the populace and disdain for their own people's lives, the nukes aren't working. So you invade China.

Keep in mind, Soviet equipment and supplies are pouring in to China. When the Korean War began, the North was better equipped than the Chinese thanks to the Soviets. Now that equipment is being funneled to the Chinese. So you bomb the railroads. But with so many people, the Chinese are able to repair them quickly and with such a large border, the roads into China also become filled with incoming equipment.

Much of the equipment is being shipped from nearby Russian cities like Vladivostok. So do you nuke Russian cities? With a large portion of your forces tied up in China and Korea, the Soviets invade Western Europe. You're now fighting a two front war against two of the two largest armies in the world.
I guess we'll never know. My bet would be that China would sue for peace once their cities and ports started getting glassed. I doubt they really cared that much about North Korea that they would get turned into a radioactive wasteland over it. I don't think China had much of an air force, so I doubt they could stop it. On the other hand, no way would I attempt a land invasion of China.
BQ_90
AG
China's AF was mostly Russians pilots.

To think Russia wouldn't do anything while we nuked China is crazy.

Not to mention nobody else in world would have supported us.

Also the poster wanted us to kick out the commies in Russia and also China.

So how many troops would that have taken? Was the US prepared to occupy the entire globe?

Again it's easy to say Patton was right, much harder to prove it.

titan
S
kubiak03 said:

As weird as that sounds, best option probably would have been to team up with Japan and Germans. Two front war.

Hopefully sans their leadership/ideology.

Probably would have been extremely hard to quash their ideology while quickly turning them into fighting allies.

Europe would have been a big killing field due to the size of Russian military over there.

Would have needed to get the Japanese to allow us to use Japan and Manchuria as staging areas to invade eastern Russia to provide some relief to the west.
Its not only weird, its unrealistic beyond even the obvious hurdles -- if you mean near the end of war. The Kwantung Army no longer has the power to help decisively. Or do you mean earlier --- what year are you talking about?

If going pre-1942, your best window with Japan is not to take China's side. The Pacific War doesn't have to happen if you don't embargo. In fact, if you use the Nomonhon clash in 1939 to even signal to Japan you want to `assist' in some way with the Soviet issue, that is quite possibly an option.

If you avoid the Pacific War, that leaves some options with whether you let Germany take Russia down or not. But the jury seems to be still out whether Russia would have won with zero help or logistics from us. There may be some here that have an informed opinion on that?

What Patton could not have known --- think about it it was only really learned well after the war -- was the true SCALE of the war on the Eastern Front. What we found so touch and go in the Bulge was the default there in some ways. Just how much Russian power was there to hurl against the Wehrmacht, or for that matter, how *much* power Germany was holding on the Eastern Front and didn't have to hurl against us. If they did, D-Day's a goner. BQ_90 is probably right that it is far from obvious we would win in 1945.

cbr
AG
In hindsight, definitely should have accepted the peace w germany and instead of sicily, italy and d day should have landed from the black sea nlt summer '43.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

But the jury seems to be still out whether Russia would have won with zero help or logistics from us. There may be some here that have an informed opinion on that?
I'm not sure how informed I am on this question, but just spit-balling here ...

As it happened, Mussolini ran into difficulty while attempting to take Greece, and Hitler sent his forces to help out his buddy. This was a diversion that cost the Wehrmacht its originally scheduled launching date of Operation Barbarrossa. Even with the later start of the invasion of Russia, the Wehrmacht made it to the outskirts of Moscow. Had the diversion to Greece not happened, I feel it reasonable that the Wehrmacht may very well have conquered Moscow, but that does not equate to taking all of Russia, obviously.

The problem with Russia for Germany is its vastness. Most of Russia was simply way too far, thus extending supply lines to unreasonable distances.

As for Russia surviving without Lend-Lease and other assistance from the US, who knows? Our biggest assistance to them was in our presence in the West, thereby forcing Germany into a two-front war for which they were ill equipped. Without our role in the West, Germany can then focus its entire military effort in the East. Still, they would face the same issues with the supply lines and the vast distances of the Soviet Union.
Belton Ag
AG
Stive said:

Patton may have been "right" but put me down as thinking we wouldn't have beat them.
I go back and forth. Still, it's hard to think that after bringing the Pacific Theater to a close, redirecting that war power to Europe and engaging the Soviets wouldn't have resulted in a toppling of the Stalinist regime at the very least.

One thing is for sure, all of Europe would have been ground to a powder. Much worse than it was in 1945. It would look vastly different today had that happened.
Belton Ag
AG
titan said:

kubiak03 said:

As weird as that sounds, best option probably would have been to team up with Japan and Germans. Two front war.

Hopefully sans their leadership/ideology.

Probably would have been extremely hard to quash their ideology while quickly turning them into fighting allies.

Europe would have been a big killing field due to the size of Russian military over there.

Would have needed to get the Japanese to allow us to use Japan and Manchuria as staging areas to invade eastern Russia to provide some relief to the west.
Its not only weird, its unrealistic beyond even the obvious hurdles -- if you mean near the end of war. The Kwantung Army no longer has the power to help decisively. Or do you mean earlier --- what year are you talking about?

If going pre-1942, your best window with Japan is not to take China's side. The Pacific War doesn't have to happen if you don't embargo. In fact, if you use the Nomonhon clash in 1939 to even signal to Japan you want to `assist' in some way with the Soviet issue, that is quite possibly an option.

If you avoid the Pacific War, that leaves some options with whether you let Germany take Russia down or not. But the jury seems to be still out whether Russia would have won with zero help or logistics from us. There may be some here that have an informed opinion on that?

What Patton could not have known --- think about it it was only really learned well after the war -- was the true SCALE of the war on the Eastern Front. What we found so touch and go in the Bulge was the default there in some ways. Just how much Russian power was there to hurl against the Wehrmacht, or for that matter, how *much* power Germany was holding on the Eastern Front and didn't have to hurl against us. If they did, D-Day's a goner. BQ_90 is probably right that it is far from obvious we would win in 1945.

I think you're right, but of all the years, I would think it could only have happened in 1945-47 and Chiang's Nationalists could have been somehow, some way, victorious using what was left of the Kwantung Army, combined with US air power. But then again, by that time the Communists had completely taken root in China's countryside.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Havn't seen a discussion on this , but we had atomic cannons in Germany in the 50s !

Don't believe the Russians had any .

No way in an offensive could their army could have survived this kind of barrage !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
RGV AG
AG
Years ago, right when I was coming out of school and maybe was just right out I read a paper written by a military officer that was in Germany, US military, at that time. I believe the guy was a military intelligence officer. His basic opinion was that a land war, an offensive land war, even with a few nukes, against the Russians in 1945 and through 1946 was not winnable.

But, what he did relate was that a fairly certain way to defeat the Russians in Europe during that time frame was to basically retreat and starve them out via cutting their supply chains from the east. The weakest segment of the Red Army was the bean supply, bullets not so much, but the beans and butter were scarce on their side. With Europe in ruins they would have had a very difficult time feeding their armies stretched far, especially if some form of "scorched earth" campaign was conducted by the allies in retreat westward while at the same time major bombing was conducted on eastern railways and marshaling yards.

The obvious fact that he points out was that civilian populations in the east were going to be ever further hurt as compared to the Russian military. Not to mention basically displacing populations of Allied held areas in a major refugee crisis and migration. A direct confrontation with the Red Armies would have been terribly bloody and harsh for US/Allied forces, but a strategic war with orchestrated famine as a tool probably would have worked. Possible? Yes, palatable? No.

Basically, one big weakness, oft not delved upon, that the Russians had was feeding and clothing their troops. Supposedly stores of Spam and other canned goods from the US were still being consumed into the 1950's behind the Iron Curtain. The food situation for the Red Armies was not one that Russians could overcome quickly and "living off the land" in Eastern and then possibly Western Europe (if laid waste) was not going to be possible. In this writing one of the points of reference was that Mao and the Chinese Communists spent close to the 3 years planning the provisioning of the populations and armies before the big push against the KMT and Chang Kai Shek.

The Russians were well armed and very strong, but they were not capable of logistically feeding their armies and the territories they controlled.
AllTheFishes
AG
CT'97
AG
That makes sense, the Soviets had massive logistics issues in Afghanistan. Living conditions and food for their troops was bad and there are stories of them sustaining themselves off of the local economy. A lot of equipment got parked and left because they couldn't get parts to repair it on site nor had the ability to transport it to a higher level repair facilities back in Russia.
titan
S
Belton Ag said:

Stive said:

Patton may have been "right" but put me down as thinking we wouldn't have beat them.
I go back and forth. Still, it's hard to think that after bringing the Pacific Theater to a close, redirecting that war power to Europe and engaging the Soviets wouldn't have resulted in a toppling of the Stalinist regime at the very least.

One thing is for sure, all of Europe would have been ground to a powder. Much worse than it was in 1945. It would look vastly different today had that happened.
It would make far, far more sense, to just go for the big one if going to try Patton's war. Assassinate Stalin, arrange that, and maybe recognize Zhukov if he seized power in the vacuum that followed. With the resources of both the OSS and Abwehr available, it might have been doable.

If you do it right, and make it about freeing Russia from tyranny in turn, you might pull it off.

However the big thing this entire scenario keeps missing, even as a whimsical what-if, is so huge it scuttles the whole discussion. On what basis do you mobilize the American and Allied war-weary people to fight this war? If the Soviets don't give you a Pearl Harbor, some story say of their "trashing NAZI Berlin" is certainly not going to do it---what Tonkin would you be using to justify it to the PEOPLE?

Motivation to go to war with Mao's China during the Korean War seems a bit easier to pull off if thinking of post-war scenarios that envision trying to take down communism sooner.
titan
S
Cinco Ranch,

Quote:

As it happened, Mussolini ran into difficulty while attempting to take Greece, and Hitler sent his forces to help out his buddy. This was a diversion that cost the Wehrmacht its originally scheduled launching date of Operation Barbarrossa. Even with the later start of the invasion of Russia, the Wehrmacht made it to the outskirts of Moscow. Had the diversion to Greece not happened, I feel it reasonable that the Wehrmacht may very well have conquered Moscow, but that does not equate to taking all of Russia, obviously.
Now THAT is a very interesting what-if don't see explored as much. Namely, what if Russian war launched on schedule, and not only that, it is because Hitler is blowing off Greece and bailing out Mussolini? When you talk about Moscow falling, the real question is, do you mean they "get" Stalin and the government? If the Germans DO, they might be able to pull off a cease fire. If not, it just means the same war and it grinds on longer.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I admittedly know next to nothing about Soviet leadership beneath Stalin (I mean, why bother since he likely had anyone with any competence whatsoever shot). Who knows what the Soviets do if the Nazis manage to take Moscow and capture/kill Stalin? Generally, I'd think that a guerrilla resistance effort would have come about even if the Soviet state had capitulated, as in France, but it is an interesting "what-if?" question.
Stive
AG
I think there's almost 0% chance they get Stalin. As soon as they entered Moscow he'd of been out the other side of the city and gone. They wouldn't have even come close.
BQ_90
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I admittedly know next to nothing about Soviet leadership beneath Stalin (I mean, why bother since he likely had anyone with any competence whatsoever shot). Who knows what the Soviets do if the Nazis manage to take Moscow and capture/kill Stalin? Generally, I'd think that a guerrilla resistance effort would have come about even if the Soviet state had capitulated, as in France, but it is an interesting "what-if?" question.
At some they stop and dig in and try to fend off the rest of Russia. I'm sure the plan was send everyone to concentration camps anyways. They wanted to repopulate the east with Germans. Not sure they wanted all of Russia
CT'97
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

This is actually not true, most were not killed and brought out of the gulags and reinstated because in 1942 he needed leadership for his Army. They all swore allegiance to him, and the communist party but mostly Stalin, and were allowed to return to leading the military. This is part of why things went to poorly in 1941 and got better in 1942. Turns out you actually need Generals trained to lead large formations of troops to be effective.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Was referring to the great purges that occurred during the '30s
TheCougarHunter
AG
We would have won but it would have been very, very ugly. Likely millions more casualties if not tens of millions, with nukes being introduced may have been worse than the "real" WW2. I could see the Russians pushing to the English channel pretty quickly, then the allies start a Naval blockade and strategic bombing campaign and either wait until the Russians run out of food and industrial capacity, or nuke their cities and force a surrender that way.

Very ugly.
chickencoupe16
AG
I think the real way to success is to be liberators instead of conquerors like the Nazis. Had the Nazis treated the populace better, they would have had far less partisan actions to deal with and plenty of soldiers willing to fight the Soviets and they would have had a chance at beating Russia. Maybe the high of beating the Nazis as part of or allied with the Red Army would have been too much to for American good will to overcome. But, the Soviets did turn their back on many of their allies almost immediately after the war (like the Poles).

The trick might be that you have to wait after the war for the Russians to build up contempt and mistrust within their conquered lands but not so long that they get the bomb.

Or maybe it is impossible to wait long enough for unrest. Maybe by '45, the war against the Soviets is already lost due to previous missteps. Maybe if you could go back further and cut Russia out of Lend-Lease and cut their spies out of The Manhattan Project, then you can win a war.
BQ_90
AG
Quote:

Soviets did turn their back on many of their allies almost immediately after the war (like the Poles).
they where never allies, the Soviets where occupiers. Remember the secret non aggression pack between Russia and Nazi Germany split up Poland between the two.

Remember WWII started over Poland. The Western Allies turned their back on Poland knowing full well they would be occupied by Russia. During the Warsaw uprisings, the Russians blocked the Western Allies from providing aid.

Russia want Poland destroyed so they could install puppet govt.

also on the Manhattan project. Many of the Scientist wouldn't have worked on the bomb if they knew it was going to be used against Russia. Many didn't really want to use it against Japan to the point of writing a letter to Truman.
chickencoupe16
AG
BQ_90 said:

Quote:

Soviets did turn their back on many of their allies almost immediately after the war (like the Poles).
they where never allies, the Soviets where occupiers. Remember the secret non aggression pack between Russia and Nazi Germany split up Poland between the two.

Remember WWII started over Poland. The Western Allies turned their back on Poland knowing full well they would be occupied by Russia. During the Warsaw uprisings, the Russians blocked the Western Allies from providing aid.

Russia want Poland destroyed so they could install puppet govt.

also on the Manhattan project. Many of the Scientist wouldn't have worked on the bomb if they knew it was going to be used against Russia. Many didn't really want to use it against Japan to the point of writing a letter to Truman.

Perhaps allies was not the best term, but at that point, it is semantics. Poles fought and died alongside Soviet troops in the fight against Germany. Maybe you can say they weren't allies because the Russians always intended to betray them but either way, the Soviets did turn their backs on the Poles. And so did the rest of the Allies, to be fair.

As far as the bomb being used on Russia, I'm not sure exactly what goes on to manufacturing nukes, but I would imagine that it's a lot easier to make the 50th than the 1st. So possibly, the loss of the communist scientists could have been over come. Besides that, the leaks in information sound never have happened no mate how good of allies we were with and nation.

I'm not saying that it would have been possible to stop the leaks or to even k.ow about the leaks in time, but it would have gone a long way towards winning a war against the Soviets.
IDAGG
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

I'm not saying that it would have been possible to stop the leaks or to even k.ow about the leaks in time, but it would have gone a long way towards winning a war against the Soviets.
IIRC the first inkling the US had that there were soviet spies in the Manhattan project was in late 1946 or early 1947 when the first Venona intercepts were decrypted.

One wonders how the 1950s would have played out if the US had prevented any secrets from being stolen from the Manhattan project. I am sure the Soviets would have developed an A-bomb, but how many more years would it have taken. Instead of 1949, would it have been 1952? 1955? Longer?
cbr
AG
IDAGG said:

chickencoupe16 said:

IIRC the first inkling the US had that there were soviet spies in the Manhattan project was in late 1946 or early 1947 when the first Venona intercepts were decrypted.

One wonders how the 1950s would have played out if the US had prevented any secrets from being stolen from the Manhattan project. I am sure the Soviets would have developed an A-bomb, but how many more years would it have taken. Instead of 1949, would it have been 1952? 1955? Longer?
A good bit longer. And we should have pushed into germany and expanded paperclip to keep german science out of russian hands too. Nukes were inevitable, basic understanding of physics and chemistry leads in a straight line to fissionable u235 and pu. But separating 235 and creating pu took massive and delicate effort.
cbr
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

I think the real way to success is to be liberators instead of conquerors like the Nazis. Had the Nazis treated the populace better, they would have had far less partisan actions to deal with and plenty of soldiers willing to fight the Soviets and they would have had a chance at beating Russia. Maybe the high of beating the Nazis as part of or allied with the Red Army would have been too much to for American good will to overcome. But, the Soviets did turn their back on many of their allies almost immediately after the war (like the Poles).

The trick might be that you have to wait after the war for the Russians to build up contempt and mistrust within their conquered lands but not so long that they get the bomb.

Or maybe it is impossible to wait long enough for unrest. Maybe by '45, the war against the Soviets is already lost due to previous missteps. Maybe if you could go back further and cut Russia out of Lend-Lease and cut their spies out of The Manhattan Project, then you can win a war.
The wehrmacht screwed up bigtime letting the nazis come in and **** all over the populace. The germans were hailed as liberators and cheered like we were in france at first. Not really what our popaganda wanted to highlight.
TheFirebird
AG
cbr said:

chickencoupe16 said:

The wehrmacht screwed up bigtime letting the nazis come in and **** all over the populace. The germans were hailed as liberators and cheered like we were in france at first. Not really what our popaganda wanted to highlight.
It doesn't really make sense to say that the Wehrmacht should not have "let" the Nazis come in and do things in occupied territories. The Wehrmacht was an instrument of Nazi power and despite some (seriously overstated among some amateur historians) resistance to Nazi ideology among a small minority of the officer corps, most of the Wehrmacht was either fully on-board with the Nazi program or apolitical and ready to follow orders from the Nazi leadership. There was never a moment until the end of the war when the Wehrmacht was not fully under political and operational control of the Nazi government. And the Nazi government sent the Wehrmacht to invade those countries because it wanted to eliminate or enslave the local populace and create a broader German colonial empire within the European landmass. Liberating the locals from Communist oppression and then letting them live freely was never on the Nazi agenda and thus never on the Wehrmacht's agenda; you might as well argue that the Nazis should not have been Nazis.

A reluctance to accept that military power is and always has been an instrument to achieve and serve political aims also underpins the idea that the United States could have declared war on the USSR in May 1945 or turned North Korean or Chinese cities into "glass" with nuclear weapons. The American populace simply would never have accepted a declaration of war in 1945 against the USSR absent serious Soviet aggression or blatant violations of agreed upon terms-- neither of which happened. The U.S. government had spent four years mostly rehabilitating the Soviet Union as an Allied power and convincing the population that the primary war aim was to defeat Nazi Germany to achieve peace in Europe, then defeat the Japanese in the Pacific. 1945 America was not an Orwellian dictatorship where Truman could simply switch to "we have always been at war with Eurasia" and attack an formerly Allied power, much less bring on board the defeated German Army to help you do it. It's not within the realm of reality-- it wouldn't even have been in the realm of reality for the Soviet leadership to try to attack the Western Allies and they were far closer to that sort of 1984 fantasy. The countries were tired of war.

As far as the Korean War goes-- people forget that that the Korean War was not technically the U.S. and South Korea versus China and North Korea with the USSR as a semi-proxy party. Thanks to some nifty diplomatic work, the United Nations was the actual party at war with China and North Korea, with the United States supplying most of the military power for UN forces. Killing huge numbers of Chinese or North Korean citizens with nuclear weapons would have destroyed all international credibility the United States had, and would have completely undermined the broader political interest-- which was to make the United States and democratic governance a more attractive ally and system to the broader world which was watching the behavior of Allies with intense interest. Ditto with Vietnam-- the United States could have achieved limited battlefield aims but would have destroyed its credibility internationally and turned itself into a pariah state once it started killing massive numbers of civilians. And at at home, there was no political support or appetite for either option, the American public in general does not want to support war crimes and was under no illusions that the safety and security of the homeland was at risk in either of those conflicts.

After the first use of nuclear weapons, Truman instinctively understood that they existed in a realm beyond ordinary battlefield weapons and needed to be placed under civilian control because of the dramatic political consequences their use would bring. Interestingly, even totalitarian dictatorships came to the same conclusion. Although different nations have different command and control structures in place for their nuclear forces, I am unaware of a single nuclear power that has completely delegated control over their use to military brass-- they are first and foremost political and not battlefield weapons.
TheFirebird
AG
CT'97 said:

That makes sense, the Soviets had massive logistics issues in Afghanistan. Living conditions and food for their troops was bad and there are stories of them sustaining themselves off of the local economy. A lot of equipment got parked and left because they couldn't get parts to repair it on site nor had the ability to transport it to a higher level repair facilities back in Russia.
Logistics of getting materiel and support into Afghanistan versus into Europe from the USSR is a completely different ball-game and level of difficulty even given 40 years of technical advances. Even with much of Europe in ruins. The infrastructure, terrain, proximity to the supply points....every single thing is worse with Afghanistan. Not to mention that the Soviets never pacified the countryside.

Standing on the Friendship Bridge across the Amu Darya (Oxus) between Uzbekistan and Afghanistan, you truly grasp the phrase "ends of the earth." That's where the images of Soviet tanks retreating home comes from.
cbr
AG
good post, and i really dont disagree - my point was poorly stated, in that my meaning was the germany overall would have been much better served, and possibly won the war, by acting like the liberators they were initially perceived as, at least until the war was won.

i also agree that Truman could not politically move against russia overtly in '45.

however, the real issue was underestimating stalin/communism as a villain early on, when we propagandized him as an ally and germany as the ultimate evil. germany was much, much less of a threat than russia was, the whole time. they were just closer, better understood, and right across the channel from england.

the manipulation of perception by roosevelt was actually pretty orwellian. but truman didnt have the chops or the personal socialist ideology; the country was war weary as you say; and roosevelt had years to do it, backed by decades of anti german propaganda and the strange history of blaming and fighting against germany in ww1; truman would have been a rapid about - face. not possible.

in hindsight, we probably should not have done that. it is a very open debate whether a europe dominated by german national socialists would have been worse for us than a world dominated by subversive international socialists. ten years ago, it may have been a close call. today, it is clear that the nazi's would almost certainly have been less of a long term threat.

if we had truly been looking out for US interest, i dont think we fight germany in ww1, nor do i think we make stalin an ally. frankly, once it appeared that stalin might win the war, a german coup in 42 or 43, and subsequent allegiance against the soviets would have been the unlikely dream scenario in an ideal world.

or if we would have taken the middle east or balkan invasion route in 43 instead of italy and france, to save europe from the soviets and still defeat germany, i think history would have been better for us.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.