Interview of Civil War veteran

1,898 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by oragator
I Like Mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This interview was with a man born in 1846. It took place in 1947, and he lived to be 102. He fought in the Civil War and lived to see Hiroshima shattered by the atomic bomb. Hearing his voice is surreal when you realize he was born one year after Texas became a state!

30wedge
I ran across that video recently, don't remember where. And yes, it is strange to hear a voice from someone who lived through that part of our history.
aggieforester05
AG
I remember one awhile back that was an interview of a man who witnessed Lincoln's assassination. Pretty amazing to hear a first hand account of an historical event that seems so distant to us.

I think this was it:
30wedge
aggieforester05 said:

I remember one awhile back that was an interview of a man who witnessed Lincoln's assassination. Pretty amazing to hear a first hand account of an historical event that seems so distant to us.

I think this was it:
Yeah for sure. Very cool, thanks for posting that.
Mort Rainey
This is super cool
BillYeoman
CalebMcCreary06 said:

This interview was with a man born in 1846. It took place in 1947, and he lived to be 102. He fought in the Civil War and lived to see Hiroshima shattered by the atomic bomb. Hearing his voice is surreal when you realize he was born one year after Texas became a state!

It is amazing. He was born during the Mexican-American War. When New Mexico, California and Arizona were still part of Mexico. And he lived long enough to see Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, and off course all the other things you mentioned.
TXAG 05
AG
aggieforester05 said:

I think this was it:

Absolutely incredible. First off, not only to be in the same building as huge historical event takes place, but to actually see it happen, then live to the 1950s, it's just nuts. Cars, airplanes, electricity, TV, etc. He saw it all happen and almost made it to the space age. I've been alive for almost 40 years now and we have obviously made some technological jumps in that time, but it pales in comparison to what he witnessed.
oragator
Just imagine that there is a decent chance that man met
Someone who was alive when the DOI was signed. And he lived to see WW2 and the US as the Preeminent world power. And probably folks here old enough to have met him. Our history is remarkably short all things considered.

But this was always one of my favorites. The rebel yell from actual confederate soldiers.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.