Dan Carlin's Supernova in the East Part 4

13,191 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgBQ-00
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just finished. Lot of stuff to think about. Some hard stuff to hear about. Great set of podcasts.
chickencoupe16
AG
I was really struck by his Japanese overthrowing colonial powers and freeing the native populations discussion.
AgBQ-00
AG
Finished it up today. So.much to think about. His discussion about the two a-bomb drops saving many millions more than the invasion force that would have been required is a perspective changer.
The horrible effects of those two small scale nukes really have served thus far to basically eliminate that option from conflict scenarios.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
NavyAg95
AG
Wow. Recently discovered these podcasts. Just finished part 2 and are incredible so far.
YZ250
Regarding the bomb, I like how he framed the argument that if "dropping the bombs" is Plan A then Plan B can't be "not dropping the bombs". It's either continue with fire bombing, invade the islands, or a blockade that will starve the Japanese to death. All of which still kills lots of people and probably even more.

I never thought about what it took to get the Japanese army in China to surrender. Will have to look into that.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Finished the newest episode yesterday. Good commentary here.
Swarely
Good series. I liked the first 3 episodes a lot more than the last 3. I wonder if it's because I didn't know that much about the start of the war.
Adam87inSA
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Did the statement he made toward the beginning about the Japanese invasion of China leading to the victory of the Communists there strike anyone else? It really made me think about how both WW1 and WW2 very well could be the root cause of global imperial communism.
That is the inescapable conclusion.

Part 6 was good but it is a ROUGH listen. Such a depressing, mind numbing loss of life and destruction what a price our marines and navy paid. The Japanese made their bed and they had it coming but DAMN. We are so fortunate to live now, standing on the shoulders of the Greatest Generation.
JABQ04
AG
And Army. More army than marines in the PTO. Just less press, surprising considering MacArthur was there.
BQ2017
AG
I like Dan, he gets a bit sappy at times but he does a great job with his podcasts. His Punic Nightmares podcasts are the best, in my opinion
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I've been watching this thread for a while now, and have had a few recommend Carlin's podcast series. Today I finally decided to start.

After about an hour in, I can say that I am very impressed. Part 1 is covering territory that seems familiar to me from my reading of the book "Japan's War".
Wildman15
AG
Working on part VI right now. What an absolute amazing series
boboguitar
AG
Just finished the last part.

Some of those stories regarding the execution of civilians by the Japanese or the stories about the firestorms were really hard to listen to. I'm glad I did but it's hard to not empathize with their situations and put myself and my family in their places.
Wildman15
AG
boboguitar said:

Just finished the last part.

Some of those stories regarding the execution of civilians by the Japanese or the stories about the firestorms were really hard to listen to. I'm glad I did but it's hard to not empathize with their situations and put myself and my family in their places.
The story of that Japanese mother and daughter when the bomb hit was devastating. Can't imagine
Maximus_Meridius
AG
The worst was the man who wasn't completely beheaded, then had to lie there and watch them butcher his family.

That one made me nauseous and gave me a nightmare or two over the next few nights. I cannot even fathom the emotions, and I'm not sure I want to.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Carlin has a new episode where he interviews Ian W. Toll on his Hardcore History Addendum channel.
AgBQ-00
AG
Will be watching this today!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.