Good book about early western theater in civil war?

1,941 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Buck Turgidson
Buck Turgidson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We just visited the Wilsons Creek battlefield near Springfield MO. I have really only read about the big battles in the East, and a few clashes involving Forrest in the West. Can anybody recommend a good book about the early days in Missouri and surrounding states?
BQ78
AG
Not really a good single comprehensive history of the war in Missouri but some good biographies and battle histories that are good and together tell the story.

Hatcher and Piston's Wilson's Creek
Shea and Hess' Pea Ridge
Cutrer's Ben McCulloch
Phillips' Missouri's Confederate (about Gov. Claiborne Jackson)
Castel's Sterling Price
Collin's General James Blunt
Stiles' Jesse James

Thomas Goodrich has three great books War to the Knife is about Bleeding Kansas, Black Flag about the guerilla warfare in Missouri and even better is Bloody Dawn about the Lawrence raid by Quantrill

87Flyfisher
AG
Between the Enemy and Texas; Parson's Texas Cavalry in the Civil War by Anne J. Bailey.

I had a direct ancestor who served in this unit.
Cen-Tex
AG
Sires and Sons: The Story of Hubbard's Regiment - Trevor Wardlaw.
Walker's Texas Division, C.S.A.: Greyhounds of the Trans-Mississippi - Richard Lowe
tallgrant
The Park Service has a nice Field Guide for Wilson's Creek and Pea Ridge. Good resource to match your visit, or for a follow up trip!
Buck Turgidson
Sadly the museum was closed, along with the park office. We were, however, able to drive through the park, read all the informational plaques and listen to the numbered recordings on our cell phones. There is an exceptionally well preserved farmhouse that is furnished with period furnishings that was also locked (you could walk the grounds and go down to the springhouse).

Looks like there is some construction/remodeling going on in addition to the Covid shutdown. I'd like to go back once the museum has reopened.
BQ78
AG
They are redoing the visitor center to accommodate the General Sweeny Museum artifacts they acquired about 7 years ago. The old building where they were kept across the street was in need of major repair and they decided to consolidate. It is a great collection and I look forward to seeing it again in its new home.
Buck Turgidson
BQ78 said:

They are redoing the visitor center to accommodate the General Sweeny Museum artifacts they acquired about 7 years ago. The old building where they were kept across the street was in need of major repair and they decided to consolidate. It is a great collection and I look forward to seeing it again in its new home.
Any idea if it will all be done and opened a year from now? We'll likely go back to that area on vacation right around Memorial Day.
BQ78
AG
It was supposed to be but who knows with this COVID nonsense.
BQ78
AG
It was supposed to open up this year but with this COVID stuff who knows.
Buck Turgidson
Thanks for the recommendations everybody. I'm going to start off with "Bloody Hill The Civil War Battle of Wilson's Creek" by William Riley Brooksher, then see where that leads me. I chose it because it supposedly has a bunch of background leading up to the battle itself.

I tend to go on mini-dives where I will read multiple books on a period of history. Last one was the Texas Revolution. Before that I did the Spanish Conquistadors and also the history of the Boers (including both Boer Wars).
BQ78
AG
It will be open next year, they are re-opening the renovated VC in October. They just sent me a press release about the 1860 Henry Rifle they just had donated to them and it will be on display in October when the VC re-opens.
Smeghead4761
If you want to do a really good deep dive on Missouri in the Civil War, you should start in Kansas a decade earlier.
Buck Turgidson
I'm beginning to think I picked a bad time to study this subject, given everything happening in the news these days (mindless destruction of confederate memorials). The book is already pissing me off with its anti-southern tone straight from the beginning.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.