Historical Personal Pictures

5,180 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Hogties
Gator92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you haven't already heard, you can now post personal pictures from your computer or phone. Please post your favorites and give some context. See directions below.

Quote:

HOWDY.

Today marks a monumental moment in the history of the internet: you can now officially upload a photo to TexAgs! We've been working tirelessly for 20+ years to perfect this technology, and the day has finally arrived.

We've always allowed linked images (and we still do, btw) but you can now upload your own on both mobile and desktop. It should be fairly straightforward, but here's how to do it...

Mobile
1. On the reply screen, click the "Attach Image" button
2. Select a photo in your device's library or take a new one
3. You'll see a thumbnail after selecting the photo(s)
4. Tap "Post"

Note: On mobile, if you edit your reply after posting, the image will now be in URL form. So if you want to remove it from the post, you'll just need to delete the URL.

Desktop
1. In the reply window, click the image icon (see below)
2. Click "Select File"
3. Select your file
4. You'll then see a thumbnail preview within your text
5. Click "Post"

Gator92
AG
My Uncle aboard USS Ammen DD527 1945

OldArmy71
AG

My grandfather, medical officer on the troop ship USS Burleigh, about 1944-45.
OldArmy71
AG

My grandfather (USNR), uncle (in high school), and father (A&M Class of '44, just out of OCS), December 1943.
OldArmy71
AG

My first cousins, four times removed. They were members of the 2nd Maryland Infantry (Army of Northern Virginia). The guy on the left fought at Gettysburg and Petersburg, where he was badly wounded. Both survived the war, living into the 1920s.
Gator92
AG
My Uncle (on the left) Philippines 1945

dallasiteinsa02
My great grandfather in his football uniform in 1901.

BrazosBendHorn

My paternal grandparents, 24 December 1917. This was their
wedding photo. He served in France in WWI

JABQ04
AG
Great Grandfather. Was a Rough Rider with Teddy Roosevelt. Executed in 1913 by Mexican Revolutionaries after being captured while an employee of Western Union and refusing to join their cause. It made The NY Times in its day.
jja79
AG
My dad receiving a Bronze Star 1945 after Iwo Jima..
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

My great grandfather in his football uniform in 1901.

Name ?
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Names, everybody !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Bregxit
AG
This is my great uncle Jack, KIA in Korea 11/30/50, on the left. This is the story of his unit and its fate.

Gator92
AG
Thanks for posting! That is what Memorial Day is all about. Hair stood up on back of my neck reading that. RIP Cpl Holtzclaw.
Bregxit
AG
Gator92 said:

Thanks for posting! That is what Memorial Day is all about. Hair stood up on back of my neck reading that. RIP Cpl Holtzclaw.

FYI CDR Lance (retired as CAPT) is my father and Jack's nephew. Jack was killed a month before dad was born. I always thought it was neat that dad got to give his posthumous promotion.
BrazosBendHorn

Crew 3084 / 15th Air Force / 464th Heavy Bombardment Group / 777th Squadron
Photo taken near Colorado Springs after they completed Advanced Training in Spring 1944

Back row, l-r:
2 Lt. Charlie Martin (bombardier); 2 Lt. Glenn Hultquist (pilot) [my uncle]; 2 Lt. Jasper Davis (co-pilot); 2 Lt. Floyd Haupt (navigator);

Front row, l-r
SSgt. Wilbur Tri (waist gunner); SSgt Clarence L. Kilarski (Tail Gunner); SSgt John E. Rodgers (Ball Turret Gunner) *KIA*; SSgt Carl J. Zkiab (Nose Gunner); SSgt Donald Hayden (Radio Operator/Waist Gunner); SSgt William R. Droschkey (Engineer/Top Turret Gunner).

F4GIB71

My Dad was in ROTC at Georgia Tech when Pearl Harbor was bombed. Quit school and went to Aviation Cadets. Flew 75 missions in P-39 in South Pacific until they needed instructors Stateside with combat experience. He instructed in P-40s and P-51s but my only Tiger photo was this one. He raised us with the idea that we had an obligation to serve our country and encouraged ROTC to serve as an officer. Moved to Texas in HS, saw the light, drank the kool aid and became an Aggie.
F4GIB71
30wedge

My Dad on Tinian right after we dropped the two atomic bombs. He had enough points that he got to come home shortly thereafter.
pdc093
I wish I could give this THREAD a thousand blue stars.
THANK YOU, to all of you contributing and sharing.
This.Is.GREAT!
Jeff84
AG
My father, Robert Wiatt, Signalman 2nd Class, U.S. Navy, USS Commencement Bay, 1945.

Not an Aggie by degree, but later served as Director of Security at A&M from 1983-2004 after 30 year career in the FBI. Passed away 2010.
Gator92
AG
USS Van Valkenburgh DD-656 receiving mail from USS Ammen DD-527 Sea of Japan Sept 1945

Post removed:
by user
who?mikejones
AG
My grandfather. He served as a merchant marine.

thach
AG
Thanks for sharing!

My uncle served along side of VMF-213 (and VMF-124) when they went aboard USS Essex (CV 9) around Christmas 1944. He had joined ship's company on Christmas Eve 1943 as a radar operator.

He played basketball, and his team, the V-3 Bogeys, played in the championship game against the VMF-124 championship team in early 1945 (I can't tell if it was before or after Iwo).

I've got the ship's newspaper with the article, plus photos of his team, as well as the championship Marine team.

I'm working on a history of Essex, and love the story of the Marines on board.

I might have to buy a star...
thach
AG
P.S. As a big Bob Wills fan, I love the nose art!

If he ever had a second plane, was it New San Antonio Rose?!
Bregxit
AG
thach said:

P.S. As a big Bob Wills fan, I love the nose art!

If he ever had a second plane, was it New San Antonio Rose?!

He was KIA.
thach
AG
I know he was MIA. I meant if "San Antonio Rose" had been damaged on landing, etc., and written off, declared no longer combat worthy, etc., and replaced with another air frame before his loss. No offense was intended to JJMt or his grandfather.
Post removed:
by user
marcel ledbetter
A piece of the Betty bomber carrying Yamamoto when it was shot down. It's on display at an air museum in Madras, Oregon.

Hwy30East
Wow! This is an impressive thread. Thanks to all for posting and telling the stories of your family members.
BrazosBendHorn
I'm spending the holiday weekend of scanning family pics in the possession of my older sister, and came across this pic of my Uncle Glenn as a newly minted USAAF Pilot, circa 1944 ...

BQ78
AG

The day Columbia came to Barksdale AFB the first time, the next time it came was in pieces and was put in a hanger down the taxiway.
TheSheik
AG
My Dad LTC Squadron Commander 458th TAS
in his C-7 Caribou on the tarmac at Cam Rahn Bay about early 1972
JonSnow
These are unbelievable. Thanks for all for sharing.
BrazosBendHorn
Here are a couple pics of my dad in the Army during WWII, in which his service consisted of being in three different Army bands. He was in the Enlisted Reserve Corps while at the University of Illinois and went into active duty in the spring of 1943. He performed with bands at the Stevens Hotel in Chicago, and then Chanute Field near Champagne. He managed to get orders to the ETO but only got as far as NYC. (The Port of Embarkation decided they wanted him for their band.) During his off-duty in NYC he had a side gig arranging music for Tommy Dorsey. Dad never made a big deal about his Army service (probably because of the stateside postings). He went on to a successful career in music education.

My dad had natural leadership ability ...

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.