What do your favorite part of history?

2,528 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wicked Good Ag
AustinAg2K
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like just about all history, but I especially enjoy learning about WWII up until the end of the Cold War. Something about that period I find fascinating. Most likely it's just because those events shape nearly everything going on today. Possibly it's just because I can put it all to a great soundtrack in my head.

** Edit, title should say what is.
JABQ04
AG
I find the American Civil War fascinating.

Lately though I've been reading up everything I can about the Pacific War.
tmaggies
AG
Texas history and the Indian wars.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Antiquity from about 500BC to 450AD. The Persians, Greeks and Romans.
who?mikejones
AG
Texas, ww1
BrazosBendHorn
WWII (particularly the air war and the Battle of the Atlantic)
Smokedraw01
Early U.S. history, WW1, WW2, and the Presidents.
Bighunter43
AG
Old West, The Fur Trade, Texas History and Civil War!!
Raptor
AG
The birth of our nation and the Republic of Texas
Eliminatus
AG
I have fallen hard for WW1 stuff recently.

Before that I would say Napoleonic and WW2.
Spore Ag
Most historical reads I enjoy but will lean towards Central Asia, Great Game conflicts, European colonialism and of course American conflicts.
gigemhilo
AG
Civil War, WW2, and recently WW1. I wish I had time to feed my history curiosity!
45-70Ag
AG
French and Indian War, mainly the North American component.
YZ250
WWII. I like all of it but my interest has really shifted to the Pacific theater the last few years. I find stories about the POWs held by the Japanese and the Manhattan Project very fascinating.

History of the American west in the 1800s. The Lewis and Clark expedition, mountain men, explorers, transcontinental railroad and surveyors.

Also like reading about the history of science and exploration. Explorers like Alexander von Humboldt and Vitus Bering or those who achieve "firsts" such as Sir Edmund Hillary.
HollywoodBQ
AG
For me, it's stuff that happened during the past 100-500 years that I had never heard of that I can't believe really happened and things that I wonder why they don't get covered more in History class.

Example - the Nazi party in Australia during the 1930s.

The rise and fall of the Nazi movement in Australia

Ulrich
All of it. Prehistory through about 1991.

But, if you line up books about eras, I'll probably pick in roughly this order:
Neolithic
Yamnaya
Urnfield/Halstatt
Greek
Napoleonic
Victorian
Roman
Ciboag96
I like a lot of stuff, but I really like Eastern Front WW2, personal stories. The German perspective ones are great. The Russian stuff is a bit, errr, skewed. Lol.
JABQ04
AG
I have a book on German survivors of Stalingrad, evacuees or POWs. Very interesting book
BQ78
AG
My wife's best friend in youth's dad was a survivor of Stalingrad and POW camp into the 50s. He was missing digits and the tip of his nose due to frostbite.
Rabid Cougar
AG
1. American Civil War- have studied it nearly my entire life. (fathers library and extensive "Civil war" summer vacations and reenacting for 20 years starting at age 15) Have been to every major battlefield and some not so major...

2. Lewis and Clark and associated mountain man era, (ie. Jim Bridger, who was a member of the L&C expedition) . This one was late to the party. I got involved in the U.S. Army's commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the expedition. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers managers 80% of the trail from Pittsburg to Astoria. They needed living historians and I had experience from my time with the NPS at Petersburg.

3. Texas Revolution and then Texas Frontier - I live in Texas. This has manifest into history of local counties (Milam, McLennan and Bosque)

4. Plains Indians - ties into Texas Frontier, Also attributed to my fathers library.

5. WWII - fueled by my grandfathers stories and my fathers library. This also had to do with my interest in building model airplanes and tanks. Manifested in later years into 1/6th scale (GI Joe) soldiers.

Military History in general.

30wedge
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The period of time between 1933 - 1945 is what I find most appealing, with my primary focus being on WWII. I'm currently reading a book called "Hirohito's War", about the seeds of and the Pacific War from a Japanese perspective. I've enjoyed a lot of more focused works over the years, from "Shattered Sword" to autobiographies like "Helmet For My Pillow" or "With the Old Breed". I've read a lot about the Pacific theater, more than I have about the war in Europe; most of my reading on Europe has centered on the Nazis, most notably William Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich".

I've also done some reading on the topic of the American Revolution and the events leading to it, including the French & Indian War.

I need to read more about WWI and the Civil War.
YZ250
Rabid, I think you meant John Colter instead of Jim Bridger.
30wedge
Rabid Cougar said:

5. WWII - fueled by my grandfathers stories and my fathers library. This also had to do with my interest in building model airplanes and tanks. Manifested in later years into 1/6th scale (GI Joe) soldiers.

Same for me, except was my father's fighting in the Pacific. Have toured one of the places twice, hope to do the others in 2020.

But I have also started getting some interest in WWI, I've found I knew so very little about it.
fullback44
AG
Ciboag96 said:

I like a lot of stuff, but I really like Eastern Front WW2, personal stories. The German perspective ones are great. The Russian stuff is a bit, errr, skewed. Lol.
The German soldiers were all loaded up on crystal meth... as was Hitler himself, it helped for short blitzkreig type attacks like in France, Poland, etc.. but it ended up killing them on the eastern front when they got to Stalingrad and they were all hooked on drugs and ended up freezing to death... not a wise decision to get your foot soldiers hooked up on crystal meth
TheCougarHunter
AG
Love all historical periods but lately I've been very interested in the European early modern period - Ottoman Wars, The Great Northern War, 30 Years War, 7-years War, etc. as well as the Napoleonic Wars. The "game of Risk" that the Colonial powers played during that time is very interesting as well. I just read a fascinating book on the Siege of Gibraltar, which I visited a couple years ago.

WWII I've been interested in since I was a child.

Listening to the Dan Carlin's podcast on WWI really got me fascinated by that war as well.

The history of Britain from a loose collection of small kingdoms to the greatest empire in the world is fascinating to me.
Rabid Cougar
AG
YZ250 said:

Rabid, I think you meant John Colter instead of Jim Bridger.
You are correct... thanks.
billyboy2001
AG
Texas history because it's so immediate. Each time I move to a different place in state I feel like I'm starting over historically. Civil War too the personal stories run really deep.
Mort Rainey
I've always found JFK, LBJ, and Nixon to be fascinating. Three of the most interesting men and lives in history, all back to back Presidents, and each of them ended up not getting to fulfill what they wanted to in office.
Wicked Good Ag
Top four in order for me

American Revolution and Birth of Nation under both articles of confederation and the Constitution

History of the United States during FDR presidency

Civil Rights Movement of the 60-70s

Civil War and Reconstuction (although I am not much into battle strategy)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.