Book Update - 2nd Draft done

1,712 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aalan94
aalan94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just finished the 2nd draft of my book on the 1812-13 revolution in Texas. If you recall, this evolved out of my master's thesis. I was seriously considering doing a PhD program, but with a full time career and a family, and being a military reservist, it just wasn't in the cards. I wasn't so much interested in the PhD to get a piece of paper that I'm a certified historian, but because it does make you better. I learned so much in my masters' program that I can absolutely not conceive of trying do do this without that kind of experience. Still, my mentor from my masters' program has since retired and he's been amazing, providing a sounding board for ideas, feedback on research methods, you name it, so I really feel like my work has been through a thorough vetting process by a truly world-class expert, so I feel really good about it.

I wrote the first draft on my deployment to Afghanistan, based on two years of notes I had built up. When I got back, I was thinking the 2nd draft would be maybe 2 months of edits. Well, it ended up stretching out for a full year. It required several research trips, including to the National Archives in D.C. All that extra effort was absolutely worth it, because my first draft, in hindsight, looks amateurish. I am very confident of all my conclusions now, and also of the quality of my research. Now to move on to the third draft. I am telling myself it's 1-2 months, but then, I said that before. We will see.

The current draft is 341 pages (Microsoft word), which I estimate in book form would be nearly 500. 197,612 words. (That includes footnotes, so it's probably 450 pages of actual narrative). I want to pare it down in the 3rd draft, but I'll do that after the review process. I'm going to have some professional historians look at it. I need a lot of evidence to make my case, but they'll be able to say "you need more of this and you don't need so much of that" so it's best at this point to put everything and the kitchen sink in there now and then trim once I'm sure I've made my case effectively.
30wedge
aalan94 said:

Just finished the 2nd draft of my book on the 1812-13 revolution in Texas. If you recall, this evolved out of my master's thesis. I was seriously considering doing a PhD program, but with a full time career and a family, and being a military reservist, it just wasn't in the cards. I wasn't so much interested in the PhD to get a piece of paper that I'm a certified historian, but because it does make you better. I learned so much in my masters' program that I can absolutely not conceive of trying do do this without that kind of experience. Still, my mentor from my masters' program has since retired and he's been amazing, providing a sounding board for ideas, feedback on research methods, you name it, so I really feel like my work has been through a thorough vetting process by a truly world-class expert, so I feel really good about it.

I wrote the first draft on my deployment to Afghanistan, based on two years of notes I had built up. When I got back, I was thinking the 2nd draft would be maybe 2 months of edits. Well, it ended up stretching out for a full year. It required several research trips, including to the National Archives in D.C. All that extra effort was absolutely worth it, because my first draft, in hindsight, looks amateurish. I am very confident of all my conclusions now, and also of the quality of my research. Now to move on to the third draft. I am telling myself it's 1-2 months, but then, I said that before. We will see.

The current draft is 341 pages (Microsoft word), which I estimate in book form would be nearly 500. 197,612 words. (That includes footnotes, so it's probably 450 pages of actual narrative). I want to pare it down in the 3rd draft, but I'll do that after the review process. I'm going to have some professional historians look at it. I need a lot of evidence to make my case, but they'll be able to say "you need more of this and you don't need so much of that" so it's best at this point to put everything and the kitchen sink in there now and then trim once I'm sure I've made my case effectively.
Given that this post required 5 edits, I am going to take the over on the 1-2 months!
Bodie Broadus
Look forward to reading it!
huisachel
ja86
aalan94
AG
Quote:

Given that this post required 5 edits, I am going to take the over on the 1-2 months!

Yes, I'm OCD when it comes to editing. That's what I get paid for in the real world.
huisachel
Looking forward to it but good luck getting a publisher for something that long on a subject most people aren't aware of. I can't believe Harrigan got his book published. I get a workout just picking it up

Based on your talk I heard this summer it should be excellent
Jaydoug
AG
What's the process to get it published?
dcbowers
AG
Looking forward to reading more about the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition. Let us know when it is published.
dcbowers
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aalan94
AG
Huisachel, your point is valid, and in the first draft I tried to keep it down. The second draft had to balloon because there was so much new information. I joked to my wife that when my book is done, you're going to think Aaron Burr, not Stephen F. Austin is the father of Texas.

I've got lots of important stuff in there and I wanted to document meticulously to make the case. There are a couple of ways to cut it down, but my first goal is to make the case, then the second goal is to find a way to make it brief. That will happen in the review process. As a last resort, I might pull out some parts and try to publish as an academic article and then refer to my own work. Kind of how Steve Miller wrote songs called the Space Cowboy and Gangster of Love and then referred to them in his other song the Joker.

I've also got a very close friend and colleague who is a literary agent who can do the shopping around for me. He knows I'm working on this, but I've kept him out of the loop on the particulars, because I don't want issues like length to be a discussion in the early drafts. They are absolutely relevant to the final draft, of course.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.