Bastogne: A recommendation.

1,744 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Vestal_Flame
Vestal_Flame
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The beginning of the month found me on a business trip to Brussels and Wallonia that spanned a weekend.

The colleague with whom I traveled is '01 and has a fantastic respect for history. We jumped in the car bright and early on Sunday morning and drove the 100ish miles to Bastogne to see the museum for the Battle of the Bulge.

[url]http://www.bastognewarmuseum.be/en/home-en/[/url]

It is worth the drive from Brussels. Honestly, it would have been worth the drive from London.

We happened to be traveling on the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Belgium. In the countryside around Spa, we encountered numerous private homes flying the Stars and Stripes next to the Belgian flag.

The American Cemetery at Neuville-en-Condroz is also worth your time.
Vestal_Flame
AG
Just to be clear on one thing, the Belgians have not forgotten what our grandfathers did for them during the second war and what our great-grandfathers did during the first. I was impressed, 20 years ago, by the courtesy of the French at Arromanches. I was awed, 2 years ago, by the gratitude of the Belgians in Brussels.
CT'97
AG
Vestal_Flame said:

Just to be clear on one thing, the Belgians have not forgotten what our grandfathers did for them during the second war and what our great-grandfathers did during the first. I was impressed, 20 years ago, by the courtesy of the French at Arromanches. I was awed, 2 years ago, by the gratitude of the Belgians in Brussels.
I had similar experiences in both the Netherlands and Belgium.
aalan94
AG
This looks awesome. I toured Bastogne in 1998, and I guarantee you it was not so nice then. They have put a lot of work into that museum. Back in 98, I was a journalist working in Europe and I interviewed an American veteran who had moved to Bastogne to live. He basically wanted to end out his days there, die and be buried near his friends. But he was a cool and lively guy, and I for all I know, he could still be around.
Vestal_Flame
AG
I tried this in a local restaurant while I was there: https://store.belgianshop.com/mugs/334-bouillon-airborne-beer-helmet-mug.html

It was actually quite good.

The same restaurant had Utah Beach oysters, which I did not discover until I had already ordered.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.