Al Haynes, '52, pilot who saved 184 lives during 1989 plane crash dies at 87

1,825 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw this on the GB, but thought it belonged here too, especially for you aviation buffs.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/al-haynes-united-airlines-pilot-who-saved-184-lives-during-1989-plane-crash-dies/

Quote:

On July 19, 1989, the rear engine of the United Airlines DC-10 he was piloting exploded at 37,000 feet on the way from Denver to Chicago. Shrapnel from the explosion broke the trijet's hydraulic lines, making it nearly impossible for the flight crew to control the plummeting plane.

Under the command of Mr. Haynes, crew members alternated throttling the left and right engines to steer as the plane spiraled downwards.

Quote:

The plane skidded across the runway in a fiery blast and landed upside-down in a cornfield. Although 111 people died that day another would die a month later from injuries sustained in the crash the 184 who lived became a family of their own.

Quote:

Mr. Haynes, born in Paris, Texas, studied industrial technology at Texas A&M for three years and then joined the Naval Aviation Cadet Training program. He served as a Marine aviator until 1956, when he became a commercial pilot with United Airlines.
Survivors of the crash stayed in touch and still get together for a reunion every year. He and his flight staff got together monthly until he passed.

I'd recommend reading the whole article. He stayed active volunteering in the community for decades into his retirement. Sounds like a really interesting guy.
Punked Shank
AG
Thanks for sharing. Awesome story
ABATTBQ87
AG
Liquid Wrench
Amazing video. And amazing how calm he was through it all.
p_bubel
spud1910
AG
It is amazing there were any survivors.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I watched an air disasters or made-for-tv movie of that crash sequence as a kid in the 90s, and it's always been in the back of my mind when flying since. Never knew Haynes was an Aggie. Godspeed.

ETA- he was played by Heston.

"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.