European Heraldry?

2,645 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CS78
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone here well versed in coat of arms? Hoping to ID or at least settle on a geographic origin for a coat of arms found on a 16th C ******* sword. Thinking either German or Italian. More discussion- http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25126

Ulrich
How long is the sword?
Ulrich
I am not well-versed, but I have read a book about it. The city of Ehingen in Germany is my best guess.

Crowns over the shield usually mean either royalty or a royal herald, so while there's a crown-ish thing in the municipal stamp, I'm not sure the fully developed crown quite matches

I found that design on the arms of the house of Malatesta, Lords of Rimini; however, they were not royals and it doesn't have that shield shape.

It looks like half of the Nuremburg coat of arms, but I wasn't able to trace that back to anything that looks quite like it.

There are a number of French coats of arms that looks similar, so unless there is a specific reason you've eliminated France, follow some of the descriptions in this link: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Bendy_of_6_argent_and_gules
CS78
Ulrich, thank you for all the info! It definitely gives me some more angles to work. The sword is 130cm long. A large hand and half sword. Its large enough to be used as a two handed sword but that's not really the style.

Just in case you're interested, the Nuremberg coat of arms is very commonly stamped on armor of the time.

Ulrich
You're welcome! "Bendy of six" means six diagonal stripes, which is what you've got there. Gules and argent is red and silver/white... not sure why I fixated on red instead of, say azure or some other color. But one of them is probably argent. Cool puzzle, let us know if you figure it out!
Ag_of_08
AG
I do a bit of medieval reenactment, my interest is mainly german and late 16th century.

The sword definitely makes me think German, especially the rings on the hilt and the overall shape, a pretty typical longsword of the period. Curious where the balance point sits on it?
CS78
Center of balance measures 5.5" from the center of the quillons.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.