WWII balloon bombs from Japan to the U.S.A

2,545 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BrazosBendHorn
Raptor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WWII Japanese Balloon Bombs killed civilians on American soil

Another was found in Canada in 2014! Wonder how many more might be out there?
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

30wedge
Was not aware of that. Thanks for posting it.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Nice article. I knew about the balloon bombs, but I was not aware that there was any potential that someone could still stumble across one of those things.
ABATTBQ87
AG
During WWII Camp Wolters in Mineral Wells was used as an infantry training facility. Beginning in 1942 the camp had to expand its training area, and the Army procured my Grandparents property NW of MW for squad maneuvers and M1 firing, using blanks.

We still find live M1 rounds, training grenades, rifle grenades, buttons, coins, etc on our property to this day
aalan94
AG
The Japanese were the first to discover the jet stream, without which this kind of attack would have been impossible. We only discovered it when we tried to bomb over Japan, which made high altitude bombing ineffective and forced most of our B-29s to raid lower level at night.

The balloon bombs were a number of creative ideas by the Japanese, but the very good efforts to keep these attacks under wraps meant the Japanese thought they were ineffective and gave them up. Had they been increased and created large forest fires, it could have caused many deaths, but unless they really got lucky, wouldn't have disrupted industry significantly.
Smithjg
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Nice article. I knew about the balloon bombs, but I was not aware that there was any potential that someone could still stumble across one of those things.
87Flyfisher
AG
When I was working with a fly fishing lodge in British Columbia in the 2000's, the Guide and Outfitters Handbook had a warning and photos of balloon bombs.
cbr
AG
Such an effective weapon that the us disnt know they existed until discovering the program in japanese records after the war.

From the people that brought us this kind of crap;

[img][/img]

https://www.oddee.com/item_96752.aspx
CanyonAg77
AG
Weren't a schoolteacher and kids killed by one during WWII? I recall that the government knew and kept it quiet during the war.
cbr
AG
I am pretty sure i read that we had no idea. Could be wrong though, its been a while.
BrazosBendHorn
CanyonAg77 said:

Weren't a schoolteacher and kids killed by one during WWII? I recall that the government knew and kept it quiet during the war.
https://www.wired.com/2010/05/0505japanese-balloon-kills-oregon/

Killed six people.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
cbr said:

Such an effective weapon that the us disnt know they existed until discovering the program in japanese records after the war.

From the people that brought us this kind of crap;

[img][/img]

https://www.oddee.com/item_96752.aspx

Wanna know how I know you didn't bother to click on the link in the OP?
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm guilty of that, too. Most of what I posted was covered in the link in the OP, which I finally read late last night.
BrazosBendHorn
CanyonAg77 said:

I'm guilty of that, too.
Moi, aussi ...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.