Question about arrows

1,669 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This may be a stupid question but my Googling is not turning up any answers.

Is it true that different American Indian tribes could be identified by their arrows? Say by construction or materials etc?
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Stive
AG
Fletching, heads, etc all could differ from tribe to tribe is what I've read but I can't recall where I read that.

I got the impression that it could be a difference but not fool proof.
AgBQ-00
AG
I have the same sense that construction and material could be indicators but I have yet to find anything that confirms this.
Cen-Tex
AG
Take a look at this - http://faculty.marianopolis.edu/c.belanger/quebechistory/encyclopedia/bowsandarrows.htm

However Matt Dillon was always my go-to-guy for determining if an arrows were Comanche or Kiowa.
Bighunter43
AG
Cen-Tex said:

Take a look at this - http://faculty.marianopolis.edu/c.belanger/quebechistory/encyclopedia/bowsandarrows.htm

However Matt Dillon was always my go-to-guy for determining if an arrows were Comanche or Kiowa.

I always trusted "Bear Claw" from Jeremiah Johnson......"Yep Crow!" "Fella by the name of Paints His Shirt Red...just stand still!"
AgBQ-00
AG
Thanks for the link! Interesting stuff.
Rabid Cougar
AG
According to my expert, different tribes would have had different structural differences. They would be knocked differently, fletched with a certain type of feather (turkey, eagle, hawk) and even the fletching would be cut in a certain pattern ( flat, rounded, sharp point). They could be one piece shafts or composite( wood and cane). They would also use a particular type of wood for shafts, generally what was common in their area. You had to be careful with the shafts because they would trade for shafts from wood outside their area. Same for point making stone material before steel points became common. Note: Starting around 1850, most arrows had steel points and even glass points

The markings were a different deal. There were so many different personal marking that they would take precedent over tribal markings. Personal marking is how they were able to claim who killed which buffalo or to say "Kilroy was here!"

SIDEBAR: When plains Indians hunted buffalo they would designate certain young men to kill for the women and children and elderly who had no one to hunt for them.

Certain tribes did have very obvious markings. The Arapaho painted lines the full length of the shaft... signifying lightning. Some were all one color and others were multicolor.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.