Cinco de Mayo and the U.S. Civil War

1,795 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BQ78
BrazosBendHorn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If the French had prevailed at the Battle of Puebla, the Civil War might have turned out differently ...

Link

RGV AG
AG
And a Texan led the victory. As a kid growing up in Mexico, 5 de Mayo was an after thought. It is a beer company created celebration in the US. Which is good.
BQ_90
AG
Ok let's what if, even if both France and GB recognized the South officially, would they have committed navel power to break the Union blockade of the South? Now it could have shifted the war more in Texas if the South tried to use routes in Mexico for trade. But cutting off the Mississippi basically did the that.
Rongagin71
AG
I think the French Army at Puebla was run down, weak, and no threat to the North.
There was a frigate built in England that did quite a lot of damage, but also eventually
got weak from lack of maintenance...
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=alabama+by+bellowhead&view=detail&mid=7C3D95EDE5CEF4A757917C3D95EDE5CEF4A75791&FORM=VIRE
Rabid Cougar
AG
Dusty Bottoms, Lucky Day and Ned Nederlander defeated El Guapo at the Battle of Santa Poco which is the real reason for Cinco De Mayo.
RGV AG
AG
BQ78
AG
I'm gonna say no on his alternate history, Puebla just delayed the French arrival in Mexico City not stopped it. France wasn't going to help the slave-holding south and never had enough troops to contain the Mexican rebels let alone tip the balance in the Civil War.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
RGV AG said:

And a Texan led the victory. As a kid growing up in Mexico, 5 de Mayo was an after thought. It is a beer company created celebration in the US. Which is good.
RGV, have you seen "Patria" on Netflix? I HIGHLY recommend it!!
BQ78
AG
That does look interesting but does it come in Gringo? The trailer I saw was in Espanol and I'm not sure the wife would want to translate for me through the whole thing.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
BQ78 said:

That does look interesting but does it come in Gringo? The trailer I saw was in Espanol and I'm not sure the wife would want to translate for me through the whole thing.
I don't think so, but you can always turn on English subtitles.
BQ78
AG
Ha, you think I can read?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.