Spring Wildflowers on the hillsides of Texas

1,978 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tmaggies
Rabid Cougar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This time of the year I always have this quote rambling around my head when I see a large patch of Paintbrush and Bluebonnets in a field or along the roadside. This is a quote from officer in the Texas Brigade on his thoughts as he looked upon the remains of the 5th New York Fire Zouves after the Regiment was destroyed by the Texas Brigade The Second Manassas during Longstreets's Corps' massed assault.

I have stood in the exact spot of the New Yorkers line. They never saw what hit them. All they could do was run. Very sobering place.
SRBS
Yep been there several times.
JABQ04
AG
Bad blood between the 5th Texas and the 5th NY Zouves existed prior to the battle. Camped across the Potomac from each other during the prior winter each regiment made threats and promises of what they would do to the other if they met on the field of battle. The Texans made food on their word.

Before I opened the thread I was wondering what you are getting at Cougar. Once I opened it I got it. Had to check JB Polleys book again but definitely remember his and Simpson's book describing the history the two units shared.
BQ78
AG
Speaking of Second Manassas, last night CSPAN had a talk by the superintendent there about the field hospital graves and limb pit they found at a field hospital site in 2014. Very fascinating what they found and learned. They did enough forensics to know that one soldier was running away when he was shot in the butt even to the detail that all his weight was on that leg when he got hit and the second body was killed charging the railroad cut and was hit by a buck and ball shot. The large ball went through his shoulder and the three buck shot hit his shoulder, groin and leg. The limb pit had five legs and one arm all very well amputated (no false starts and small break at the bottom of the cut). They did not do DNA testing but they did do the test that determines where you were living when your bones formed (based on drinking water) and the two bodies were from New York or New England. The limb pit bones indicated they were also from New York or New England, except one leg and it was from Ireland.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

Bad blood between the 5th Texas and the 5th NY Zouves existed prior to the battle. Camped across the Potomac from each other during the prior winter each regiment made threats and promises of what they would do to the other if they met on the field of battle. The Texans made food on their word.

Before I opened the thread I was wondering what you are getting at Cougar. Once I opened it I got it. Had to check JB Polleys book again but definitely remember his and Simpson's book describing the history the two units shared.
I have a signed copy of Colonel Simpson's book. You were speaking of reenacting in an earlier post. I started in 1977. We regularly attended the Confederate History Symposium at Hill College as Color Guard and then stayed to listen to the speakers.

I took the book with me one time when our ACW reenactment group from A&M went and got it signed. We took part in all of the 125th anniversary battles. Even rode the train from New Orleans to the First Manassas event in full uniform and accoutrements. We portrayed the 2nd La. Inf. at that event. I campaigned for more than 20 years before kids sports and activities started to take over my extra time and funding. I still have all of my 'stuff" 42 years later.
JABQ04
AG
I think this what you were referring too.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?457702-10/soldier-remains-manassas

Also Cougar, cool story. I would have loved to have picked Col. Simpson's brain. Love his works on the Brigade. I need to take a trip to hillsboro soon.
Post removed:
by user
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Great posts ! Names of books ?
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
JABQ04
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Great posts ! Names of books ?

Hoods Texas Brigade by JB Polley (a veteran of the 4th Texas)
And
Lee's Grenadier Guard: Hoods Texas Brigade by Harold Simpson.
Both are great books but over the whol Brigade throughout the entire war.
BQ78
AG
Those are some great book recommendations but there are two very recent and good histories as well:

Susanna Ural's Hood's Texas Brigade: The Soldiers and Families of the Confederacy's Most Celebrated Unit and John Schmutz's two volume history of the 5th Texas, The Bloody Fifth.

Oh and I'll add another old one with a recent new edition by Rick McCaslin and it is also by JB Polley, Letters to Charming Nellie.
JABQ04
AG
Excellent works as well. Really enjoyed Urals book and have seen her do her talk on CSPAN over it.
Rabid Cougar
AG
I picked up the Bloody Fifth a year or so ago at Fredericksburg the week it came out. I particularly like it because Company G was from my home town/ county ; Cameron, Milan County. Lots of names in there that are still around today.
JABQ04
AG
I am hoping he does companion works on the "ragged first" and "hell-roaring fourth". But yeah the 5th holds a closeness to me especially companies K/F out of Polk, Liberty County. Bunch of relatives still live there.
tmaggies
AG
Thanks for the references on Second Bull Run I enjoyed reading up on the subject and tying the CSPAN video to the battle!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.