Ken Burns Vietnam War documentary

1,546 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgBQ-00
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I watched 7 of the 9 episodes of this documentary yesterday. Am trying to digest everything I saw but wanted to post an observation that I had never really understood before this.

The war was really run as a big data numbers game and it was disgusting to come to that realization.
Also seeing LBJ pour over maps etc and pick targets really reminded me of German insanity during WWII for some reason.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
AgBQ-00
AG
I wanted to add: If you have not seen it and are interested, it is very well done. It is very even handed and plays it very much as historical matter instead of propaganda for pro/anti war sides. It is a hard watch in that you see the behind the scenes higher up conversations and you know that the leadership sent a huge number of men into a meat grinder with no clear goals...it is heart breaking in that sense. Any of y'all watched it? What are your thoughts?
BQ_90
AG
https://texags.com/forums/49/topics/2883317/replies

Old thread on this series
AgBQ-00
AG
Thanks for the link. Brief search turned up no results. Figured it had been talked about before though
BQ_90
AG
It was more than year ago
AgBQ-00
AG
Finally got a chance to watch some more of this series. Got episodes 8 and 9 this weekend. It really brought home the feelings of alienation that many vets felt after Vietnam. I didn't understand even though my own dad had told me about it. Even back in my junior or senior year, when the traveling "Wall" memorial came to college station I did not fully grasp it. The Aggie Band had a performance for a group at the Wall in College Station. I remember Col. Brewer having us just play Ballad of Green Berets because it was the only piece that we played that was truly "their song" talking about Vietnam vets. My mom told me a few weeks later that dad told her that with that performance he finally felt like he as a Vietnam vet was welcomed home.
These two episodes really brought that event back to me. It is heartbreaking that those folks went through all that hell over there just to come home and be shat upon by the anti-war folks over here.

Anyway just some rambling thoughts that are rolling through my head as I grapple with what the 60's meant to this country. Funny how we see the echoes of that time in our current national atmosphere.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.