Curse of Oak Island

6,964 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Copperpot
cuz-i-can
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody else watching?
Ciboag96
They found anything yet?
p_bubel
It's the history board so I'll probably get roasted...

Quote:

They found anything yet?

Actually, they have. A couple of things.

I watch the show, though I don't put any stock into a treasure being located on the island let alone some ancient Templar hideout or whatever outlandish theory of the day it is.

It' not serious TV and I don't treat it as such but I do enjoy the search. ( I skip the drawn out and oft-repeated narrations/conversations at times)
CS78
They spent the whole off season sneaking out there to hide old coins. They're finding tons of stuff.
Ciboag96
Surely our gullibility will eventually be exhausted. Fake news, fake reality TV, Twitter bots, etc.

Alas, given this is the history board, I yearn for the past where our fake news came but once a week in a newspaper.
Rabid Cougar
AG
But the Romans.............
expresswrittenconsent
CS78 said:

They spent the whole off season sneaking out there to hide old coins. They're finding tons of stuff.
JaneDoe02
AG
I love the show. They're so darn optimistic. I really want them to find something.

It's a guilty pleasure.
expresswrittenconsent
the show is taped 6+months before it airs. If they had found a 300 yr old trunk of gold coins you would have heard about it on the news several months ago.
TXAG 05
AG
Didn't know that they were still making that show. It's been on for years, but like someone above said, if they found something, we'd already know about it, unless they somehow kept it secret.
SRBS
They just found Bigfoot!!!!!!
aggie appraiser
I'm watching it and enjoy it.

To answer a question from earlier in the thread, they have found several neat things in the last few years. Several pieces of old jewelry, a lead cross that is old and is not consistent with North American lead, pieces of European and Middle Eastern bones dated earlier than the early search efforts, old pottery pieces, and a bolt/arrow from a crossbow which is possibly from the middle ages, but not yet age tested. In addition, they have found a few old coins and buttons from the 1600-1700's.

Some of the things pulled up from the spoils originate from deeper in the ground than any known prior search depths.

They brought in some new technology this season, so hopefully they find some interesting things.
expresswrittenconsent
You forgot to add "according to the show" to the list of things they "found".
Bregxit
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Explain. The people identifying this stuff are legit scientists at legit institutions. Why would they make something up on camera and ruin their credibility?
expresswrittenconsent
dlance said:

Explain. The people identifying this stuff are legit scientists at legit institutions. Why would they make something up on camera and ruin their credibility?

The production company "Prometheus Entertainment" which brags on their website's "about us" section that they have made over 900 hours of shows like ANCIENT ALIENS, FOOD PARADISE and the E! shows about the 3 playmates living with Hef (girls next door and kendra) is full of "legit scientists" from "legit institutions"?
Did you think you were watching a documentary and not scripted reality TV?
Bregxit
AG
Not at all. But the objects were found, and the university folks identifying them are real. You can actually go look them up.

All the side show theory crap I agree is just that, crap.
expresswrittenconsent
But you admit the entire thing is a TV show run by a production company and the goal is to make entertainment. Same as American Pickers, Pawn Stars, the Gold mining shows, the moonshine shows, and the storage locker shows. This isnt an acrheologic dig site run by university professors and local governments. These shows are producing entertainment and there is no ethics clause or any set of laws (that I am aware of - these are also intentionally and specifically not game shows) that prevent pre-stocking a storage locker, or fudging the amount of gold "mined".
Bregxit
AG

But you admit the entire thing is a TV show run by a production company and the goal is to make entertainment. Same as American Pickers, Pawn Stars, the Gold mining shows, the moonshine shows, and the storage locker shows. This isnt an acrheologic dig site run by university professors and local governments. These shows are producing entertainment and there is no ethics clause or any set of laws (that I am aware of - these are also intentionally and specifically not game shows) that prevent pre-stocking a storage locker, or fudging the amount of gold "mined".

Oak Island is a protected area by the Canadian government. Everything they do has to have permits, etc and the government has a percentage claim to whatever is found. It is very regulated.

Yes all the speculative Templar, Viking, whatever stuff is entertainment. That doesn't take away that they are finding actual artifacts which is pretty cool and the Lagina brothers are sinking real money into the thing. They aren't that crazy haired aliens guy that has a blog.
huisachel
I found the True Cross of Jesus in a gravel pit outside of Goliad a few years ago. It was right next to a pre historic armadillo that was as big as an VW bug. Really. It had Mexican plates and president AMLO says he is going to pay me top dollar for it right after he pays for THE WALL.
Liquid Wrench
Something I didn't pick up on from watching the show (at first) is that the brothers are now 50% owners of the island. After making a ton of money in the energy business, they're having fun pursuing a childhood fascination.

Unlike a lot of reality shows, the production company actually approached them about doing the show.

Pretty good article here: https://mynorth.com/2016/06/rick-marty-lagina-last-treasure-hunters/

The "curse" is how much time and money people keep throwing down that hole.
30wedge
I hope they dig up some videotape of those pirates digging a deep hole for the treasure and all the flood tunnels. Would be interesting to watch.
Ranger222
AG
Curious if anyone's thoughts have changed after some of the other finds they've made this season, especially in Smith's Cove?
aggie appraiser
The new season is kicking off in a few weeks. It looks like they have found some interesting things this past year.

The Smith's Cove wooden structures found last year were very interesting. It appears they expanded the barrier this year and have found some tunnels.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming season.
JaneDoe02
AG
I'm in!

Love the show! And I hope they find more stuff!
30wedge
This year they may "find" (which means suspect they exist) some tunnels that go from Oak Island to Great Britain. Those pirates included some really good engineers!
Ranger222
AG
I've heard this may be the last season? Find that hard to believe with as much as History Channel touts the show
cuz-i-can
AG
I want to believe but this stuff they just found seems way too conveniently located.
Post removed:
by user
aggie appraiser
They've been studying the swamp this season and had an academic take a look at it. He has stated that it is man-made and its beginnings date around the 1300's/1400's. The professor who is working with them is the head of Geology from Acadia University.

Dr. Ian Spooner

They've drained the swamp and found a man-made stone pad, like a parking lot or dock area, right below sea level (in the swamp) which they are now investigating. Some wood was found embedded under the base stones which they are going to get dated.

They've found lots of metal and wood objects that precede the initiation of the search in the late 1700's.

fullback44
AG
30wedge said:

This year they may "find" (which means suspect they exist) some tunnels that go from Oak Island to Great Britain. Those pirates included some really good engineers!
Have they even found an Oak tree yet? Sheeeesh... enough w the planted old coins .

Copperpot
AG
I didn't start watching the show until the end of 2019. I've watched every episode now and am completely caught up. I just fast forward to any interesting parts. I'm not a prude, but it's kind of nice to watch a reality show with what appears to be "good" people with "good" intentions. My wife rolls her eyes every time I watch an episode. Call it cheesy, but this show brings out the kid in me. I'm really rooting hard for these guys to find something.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.