Research on Hotel Fire in Houston in December 1968

1,098 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JABQ04
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am doing a little family research and could use a little guidance. If anyone has access to a resource on this it would be even better.

A distant cousin of mine died in December 1968 as a result of hotel fire. He is buried in Austin because of family roots. Records indicate he died in Bexar County. Family keeps telling me he died in Houston, but they won't say much more than that. I was born in 1968 so I won't know anything other than what they tell me.

I was thinking that maybe it was Houston where the fire happened and he was transported to San Antonio to the Army burn unit at Brook Army Medical.

I have tried to find online newspaper articles for Houston news that might shed light on this but little success. Anyone got suggestions?
Waltonloads08
AG
What are you hoping to learn? His name most likely won't be in a related news article even if you find it.

Is your family being cagey with information or do they just not know or remember?

Even with a name, I think finding it on micofilm will be pretty tough.

Maybe call the Houston Public Library and ask how far back their searchable records go on Houston newspapers?

Burdizzo
AG
Probably more interested in the fire than him. I don't even know the name of the hotel.

Not sure why no one wants to share details of the incident. Problem is that anyone who remembers is getting up in age.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
May try Houston Post archives. You may be able to access it through LexisNexis or the Rice University online library.
Cen-Tex
AG
Contact the Houston FD records request office. They have a website for address & phone #.
JABQ04
AG
It's wierd sometimes how famiky wont share info sometimes. Frustrating too, when you're trying to find out info.

Good luck OP. I did try just a quick google search and didn't find anything. One hotel fire in Baytown in December 1968 came up but no injured reported.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.