Most decorated Soldier.

2,374 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JABQ04
Rabid Cougar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Without Googling... Who is the most decorated combat soldier in American history? It is not who you think it is.
BQ78
AG
Not AM?
ABATTBQ87
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Without Googling... Who is the most decorated combat soldier in American history? It is not who you think it is.
Some Texan during WWI
JABQ04
AG
I think I saw the same thing on the FB pages I follow a little ways back
Stive
AG
Pretty sure AM is the most decorated soldier from WW2 and in my brain I would have put that up as the most decorated of all time, but maybe I messed it up in my brain.

Edit:
Just looked it up....interesting.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Medal of Honor
Distinguished Service Cross
Silver Star X 4
Bronze Star
Purple Heart x 3
French Crois de guerre
Combat Infantry Badge.

Headquarters Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division
Stive
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Medal of Honor
Silver Star X 4
Bronze Star
Purple Heart x 3
French Crois de guerre
Combat Infantry Badge.

That's not the one to whom you're referring in the OP right?

The one I found had two MoH's.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Stive said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Medal of Honor
Silver Star X 4
Bronze Star
Purple Heart x 3
French Crois de guerre
Combat Infantry Badge.

That's not the one to whom you're referring in the OP right?

The one I found had two MoH's.
No. Tom Custer had two MoHs.
CanyonAg77
AG
Are we talking about the guy who claimed to have attended A&M, but his records were burned when Old Main went up?

On a side note, Olin E. Teague '32 is in the running for one of the top spots.

Quote:

His decorations included three purple hearts, three silver stars, three bronze stars, the Combat Infantryman's Badge, the Army Commendation Ribbon, the Croix de Guerre with palm (France), and the Fourragre (France). His unit (the First Battalion, 314th Infantry Regiment, Seventy-ninth Division) won the Presidential Unit Citation. Wounded six times during this period, Teague spent two years recuperating in army hospitals. He was discharged from the army on September 6, 1946, with the rank of colonel.

Although, how in Hades do you quantify "most decorated"? Does a MoH trump three DFCs? Twelve Bronze Stars> MoH?

It's a fun mental exercise, but not easily "settled".
Stive
AG
Are you not talking about SM Daniel Daly? He had two MoH's as well.
CanyonAg77
AG
When you're ready to Google.....

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/the-5-most-decorated-troops-in-american-history

Never heard of #5. Have definitely heard of #3, but didn't realize he was in the running.
Stive
AG
That was the list I was using as well.
Rabid Cougar
AG
The soldier that I am asking for just recently jumped into the mix. He earned his MOH just two days before AM. He was not awarded his MOH until 2018 posthumously.

My post was not meant to belittle any of these men that have been mentioned and I don't think that you can put a "point value" to any of the commendations. I don't think one could ever place anyone's bravery over another's.

The man's name is Garlin Murl Conner. He called in artillery fire onto his on observation post to stop an attack by 600 German soldiers supported by 6 Tiger tanks. This took place two days before AM's action.
He died in 1998 at the age of 79.

Master Chief Britt Slabinski was also awarded a MOH the same day as Conner for his action on Roberts Ridge in Afghanistan on March 4, 2002. This is the second MOH awarded for combat that took place on that ridge that day. You need to read up on his actions and all that took place there.
CanyonAg77
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

IMy post was not meant to belittle any of these men that have been mentioned and I don't think that you can put a "point value" to any of the commendations. I don't think one could ever place anyone's bravery over another's.
I didn't mean to imply you were. Just pointing out that it's an almost impossible thing to quantify.

But it is interesting to discuss, and I enjoy hearing about heroes.

And "in" before someone jumps you about a MoH being "awarded".
Rabid Cougar
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

When you're ready to Google.....

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/the-5-most-decorated-troops-in-american-history

Never heard of #5. Have definitely heard of #3, but didn't realize he was in the running.

Conner certainly jumped into the mix though.
CanyonAg77
AG
Of course, there are thousands of men who died bravely without witnesses. Or those who were witnessed, but never written up. Or those that refused the honor. There's a book called The Fool Lieutenant , written by one of General Rudder's men, Robert Edlin.

He was nominated for a MoH for capturing a German fort by himself. He met with Rudder, who told hIm he could have it, but no other Ranger had one. So Edlin declined.

He worshipped Rudder, by the way.

https://www.amazon.com/Fool-Lieutenant-Margo-Heinen/dp/0970525702
Maximus_Meridius
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Of course, there are thousands of men who died bravely without witnesses. Or those who were witnessed, but never written up. Or those that refused the honor. There's a book called The Fool Lieutenant , written by one of General Rudder's men, Robert Edlin.

He was nominated for a MoH for capturing a German fort by himself. He met with Rudder, who told hIm he could have it, but no other Ranger had one. So Edlin declined.

He worshipped Rudder, by the way.

https://www.amazon.com/Fool-Lieutenant-Margo-Heinen/dp/0970525702

Damn good book.
Rabid Cougar
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

IMy post was not meant to belittle any of these men that have been mentioned and I don't think that you can put a "point value" to any of the commendations. I don't think one could ever place anyone's bravery over another's.
I didn't mean to imply you were. Just pointing out that it's an almost impossible thing to quantify.

But it is interesting to discuss, and I enjoy hearing about heroes.

And "in" before someone jumps you about a MoH being "awarded".

Yes, one earns the MOH.

But what do you call the day they "give" it too you??? It has to be "awarded" at some point through the vetting process too. Not being an persnickety about it. Just a question about the use of the word "award".

"Presented with" ?
BQ78
AG
So the MOH is a decoration not an award.

Which goes back to the title, we are looking for the most decorated, not most awarded.
Martin Cash
AG
I was going to guess John Kerry.
CanyonAg77
AG
Martin Cash said:

I was going to guess John Kerry.
You know, he served in Vietnam.
BQ78
AG
He served Iran too.
RGV AG
AG
Didn't have time to look it up, but where or did General Smedley Butler rank, he also was awarded two CMO's.
Aggie Infantry
AG
You're all wrong. . Look at some of those dip****s on various stolen valor websites.
Waltonloads08
AG
Aggie Infantry said:

You're all wrong. . Look at some of those dip****s on various stolen valor websites.

Go on?
BQ78
AG
Here he is, I found him:

JABQ04
AG
WaltonLoads08 said:

Aggie Infantry said:

Go on?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.