A Fightin' Texas Aggie with Roosevelt's Rough Riders?

2,252 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BoerneGator
BFGRAHAM16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags!

On page 17 of "Texas Aggies Go to War" it states that there was one Texas Aggie amongst the Troopers of Roosevelt's Rough Riders (1st US Volunteer Cavalry) during the Spanish-American War.

Does anyone know the name of this Fightin' Texas Aggie who was also a Rough Rider?

Thanks

Barry '16
JABQ04
AG
That's gonna be tough to figure out. I've had a free evening while waiting for things to cool off to do some work outside, and studied the list in the book you mentioned and bumped it against a roster I found of the Rough Riders and no luck. I also found a list called "Texas Aggies and the Spanish American War" by Bill Page and again no luck. I wonder if it is a case similar to a young man named Bonny Youngblood '02 who fought in the war with a Texas Volunteer Unit then attended A&M after his time was up? interestingly enough my father and i were discussing this earlier today as his GF (my GGF) was a member of Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders for at least a time before he was discharged for epileptic fits. No idea on his time line or if he even went to Cuba either.
BFGRAHAM16
AG
Thanks - I did the same - with no luck either - although I did find one article that stated 127 Texans served in the Rough Riders - I plan to use that to move forward and work on a process of elimination - I have also posed the question to the Roosevelt Research Center - I will post what I find - thanks
Cen-Tex
AG
Some interesting correlations between the War Hymn & the rough riders.

https://www.aggienetwork.com/traditionsthroughtime/warhymn.aspx
bobbranco
AG
nm
BoerneGator
AG
BFGRAHAM16 said:

Thanks - I did the same - with no luck either - although I did find one article that stated 127 Texans served in the Rough Riders - I plan to use that to move forward and work on a process of elimination - I have also posed the question to the Roosevelt Research Center - I will post what I find - thanks
Wow! I would have thought there were many more than that. I'd be interested in seein* any list you find. My great uncle was a Rough Rider. He was a bachelor his entire life, and spent his last days in the Veterans Home in Temple, and died in the late 50's when I was just a kid.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.