On genealogy - the will of William Ingles 1782, Montgomery Co Virginia

4,324 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is one of my grandfathers wills (not sure how many greats). I don't have time to write about it right now, but this was recently handed down to me. When it was given to me, nobody had looked up all the people who had signed it. Needless to say there are significant names here and at least one with a Texas connection. Ill try and detail this tomorrow if I get time. Yes if you know the name Ingles of Virginia this is that family, but what I found interesting was looking up the other signers.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
VanZandt92
Ok so here are the names who witnessed the will:

Abram Trigg - Abram Trigg was a native of Virginia who fought in the Revolutionary War. I've found him at the battle of Shallowford, which is near modern day Winston Salem at a ford on the Yadkin. There were multiple battles at this site.
- Abram later became a congressman. This is some correspondence to James Madison from Trigg Trigg to Madison on an election concerning William Preston

Bird Smith (Bird Bowker Smith) - This man later became a general in the War of 1812. He is mentioned in multiple places, such as the papers of Henry Clay. He moved to Tennessee and that is where he became a brigadier general. He died in New Orleans basically during the battle I believe of disease.

" There is a letter dated August 25, 1813, in the Jackson papers from Andrew Jackson to John Williams, where in Jackson wrote: "I have recd no return from the Seventh BrigadeI have taken the necessary steps to enforce a return from the Brigadier General (Bird Smith) commanding said Brigade at an Early dayI am advised that his quota is ready for the fieldbut not officially from him, therefore cannot notice itas soon as I receive his return shall forwarded it without delay." Jackson had written a scathing letter to Bird Smith on August 13 concerning muster rolls..."

Texas connection: Bird Smith's son , Thomas Ingles Smith, fought in the Texas War of Independence and was one of the first Texas Rangers . Texas handbook: https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fsm43. Great Texas stories concerning Thomas Ingles Smith: Stories of Texas Rangers, War for Independence, Indians

Thomas Ingles : This is a son of Mary Draper Ingles which is a famous story of captivity. He had been kidnapped by Indians (Shawnee) and was raised by them. His brother died in captivity. This man is also the son of William Ingles of Ingles Ferry , which is famous in Virginia history.

This is a detail on Thomas Ingles on the National Park website: NPS Thomas Ingles . Thomas, after he was returned to white culture, didn't sleep indoors for many years is the story I have heard.

I think this cabin below still exists and my mom and dad have been there:

I'm kin to Thomas Ingles and William Ingles, as well as Mary Ingles Draper.

VanZandt92
John Higgins, one of my grandfathers, is mentioned above. His father Philemon Higgins was in the Battle of Point Pleasant of Lord Dunmores War. He was listed in a militia company I think in the revolutionary war, but he disappeared.
VanZandt92
Thomas Ingles is also listed on the roll at the Point Pleasant Expedition / battle - Lord Dunmore's War.

Samuel Wilson is mentioned in the will also. He was at the Battle of Point Pleasant if it is the same guy.

I think a number of the men who happened to be from this area eventually were at Kings Mountain.
shiggins2512
Hey Glad you posted this I was wondering who found the original document. I am also a higgins. I am trying to build more of my family tree but cant get past Ann Inglis on the higgins side or who she was married to. Documents are very sparse on this information. Just curious where you fit into my family tree. John Higgins is my 6th great grandfather. Hoping you will get this, if you do please reach out to me by email. shiggins2512@gmail.com
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.