Favorite statues

6,638 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Propane & Accessories
Vestal_Flame
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In A Moveable Feast, Hemingway discusses the statue of Marechal Michel Ney outside of the Port Royal RER station on Rue Montparnasse. (I am not sure that the RER station existed in Hemingway's time, but I remember the statue in conjunction with the station).

I never cared for that particular statue as art, but I was then and remain very fond of the commemoration of Marechal Ney as a mythological and historical figure.

Speaking of statues as art, my favorite statue to commemorate a general is the tomb of Marechal Foch in Les Invalides. I keep a picture of it in my office.

I suspect that this forum is above-average in its awareness of public monuments. What are your favorite sculptural monuments to events and persons? I am interested to hear of monuments selected for their artistic merit as well as for what they commemorate.
VanZandt92
My current favorite is not an international destination by any mean, but the Black Angel of Salisbury (NC)

VanZandt92
Vestal_Flame said:

In A Moveable Feast, Hemingway discusses the statue of Marechal Michel Ney outside of the Port Royal RER station on Rue Montparnasse. (I am not sure that the RER station existed in Hemingway's time, but I remember the statue in conjunction with the station).

I never cared for that particular statue as art, but I was then and remain very fond of the commemoration of Marechal Ney as a mythological and historical figure.

Speaking of statues as art, my favorite statue to commemorate a general is the tomb of Marechal Foch in Les Invalides. I keep a picture of it in my office.

I suspect that this forum is above-average in its awareness of public monuments. What are your favorite sculptural monuments to events and persons? I am interested to hear of monuments selected for their artistic merit as well as for what they commemorate.
Can you put some pics in of these? I'm not as well travelled.
BQ78
AG
Locally (Texas) anything by Pompeo Coppeni and Elisabet Ney is awesome.

An overlooked monument next to the Capitol in DC is the Grant Monument, impossible to get all the beautiful detail in one photo but here is one shot:

Always liked the Tilghman statue at Vicksburg too:

BrazosBendHorn

Galveston Storm Memorial
MGS
The Marine Corp Memorial

p_bubel
This is supremely well done:

Vestal_Flame
AG
The tomb of Marechal Ferdinand Foch:

Vestal_Flame
AG
Marechal Michel Ney:

Vestal_Flame
AG
It is worth understanding that Marechal Ney was executed for treason against Louis XVIII on the spot where the statue stands.

These were his last words.

Quote:

Soldiers, when I give the command to fire, fire straight at my heart. Wait for the order. It will be my last to you. I protest against my condemnation. I have fought a hundred battles for France, and not one against her ... Soldiers, fire!
TheFirebird
AG
The dying lion of Lucerne is perfect.

p_bubel
TheFirebird said:

Agreed.

Sapper Redux
I always thought the 54th Mass memorial in Boston and the NC memorial at Gettysburg were beautiful:

Apache
AG

I've been a fan of Bernini's "David" since the first time I saw it. David is depicted as just having hurled his stone at Goliath, and you can see the emotion in his face and the movement of his body frozen in time. A revolutionary statue to be sure, one of the first of the Baroque style.
Vestal_Flame
AG
Ah, to be in Rome in good weather...
BrazosBendHorn

Stephen F. Austin in Brazoria County
JuliusCaesarAggie
Vestal_Flame
AG
I want very badly to see he Stalingrad monument in person.
JuliusCaesarAggie
The Motherland Calls and Christ the Redeemer are my two big ones I want to see before I die.
MAROON
AG
p_bubel said:

TheFirebird said:

Agreed.

was going to post this - my favorite sculpture in the world. The setting and the background story is great:

Visitors to the Swiss town of Lucerne are moved by the Lion Monument, a sculpture designed in the early 19thcentury. The mortally-wounded lion's expression is one of heart rending agony.

The country of Switzerland has become known for its neutral status and indeed this mindset goes back over 500 years.
The neutrality of the Swiss gave them a reputation for honoring their agreements; therefore they made attractive mercenaries, soldiers who take part in armed conflicts which are not party to it based on nationality, but rather money. Foreign governments and figures such as popes and emperors were eager to hire these disciplined Swiss as soldiers and guards. The Swiss soldiers had much stricter codes for their units, making them compare favorably against undisciplined French soldiers, so the French royal family hired many of them.
At the time of the French Revolution there were over nine hundred Swiss Guards defending the Palace and King Louis the 16th and his family. Of these, approximately 600 were killed during the fighting trying to prevent the mob from arresting the royal family. Those who returned to their barracks were massacred by waiting revolutionaries. Another 100 plus died in prison of their wounds. In the end, less than one hundred Swiss escaped from the Tuileries.
The dying lion lies upon symbols of the French monarchy and an inscription refers to the Swiss Guardsmen who were killed. The Latin translation says, "To the loyalty and courage of the Swiss."

As Mark Twain wrote......"the Lion of Lucerne is the most mournful and moving piece of stone in the world."
Corporal Punishment
AG
Always been fascinated with the Brest Fortress Memorial. Eerie and mysterious:

aalan94
AG

"Varus, where are my legions?"
HollywoodBQ
AG
Personally, I like the Jack Swigert statue at DIA.

AgBQ-00
AG
My favorite statue/memorial is the Korean War memorial on the national mall. The first time I saw it was at night in a light fog. It was very moving.

MAROON
AG
very cool winter scene

Apache
AG
I'm partial to this statue of Houston:

and this one of Austin:

The oversized statues are nothing special other than big.
74OA
AG
FABULOUS
MAROON
AG
Budapest is a city with a lot of statues.

I realy like this one when I saw it

AgBQ-00
AG
It looked similar to this picture when I was there. It was eerie. I don't know how to explain it.

[img]http://funnyrepost.com/images/20151208/Heavy-fog-at-the-Korean-War-Memorial-in-Washington-DC-[oc]-funnyrepost.com-.jpg[/img]

My link is jacked up. Cannot figure out how to fix it
Rabid Cougar
AG
MAROON said:

very cool winter scene

Hell that could be straight from the Korean War.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Gettysburg is a neat place to study memorials, monuments and statues. My favorite is the 11th Pennsylvania Inf. with Sally Ann the pit bull. She was killed there.
canadiaggie
AG

National War Memorial in my old hometown, Ottawa. The Canadian Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is right in front of it. The buried man is an unidentified soldier from the Western Front of WWI.
BQ78
AG
Always liked the Nathan Hale monument is NYC outside city hall

CanyonAg77
AG
http://funnyrepost.com/images/Heavy-fog-at-the-Korean-War-Memorial-in-Washington-DC-[oc]/138975/20151208

Here's what I found. Apparently the TexAgs software does not like that {oc} right after "DC". If you copy the link above, all of it, including the numbers after "oc", and paste it in your browser, you can get to the web page.

EDIT: Copied it to my Flickr page

Vestal_Flame
AG
Having moved to the topic of men who faced hanging, I am also a fan of the Berghers of Calais.

I actually have a 5" miniature of Pierre de Wiessant sitting on my grandfather's desk in my office. He is the figure in the left-hand foreground.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.