Cobra39 - Scale Models

5,776 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here are many of the photographs I have of the various scale models that I have completed over many years. I have many, many more either completed or waiting to be built (I typically do about a dozen a year, and have sufficient quantity of unbuilt planes to last into my retirement). Probably 95% of the time I do airplanes although I have done a couple of race cars, a couple of tanks, an aircraft carrier, and several science fiction subjects or characters (like Captain America and Iron Man).

Here are a couple of Spitfires I did last summer when the movie Dunkirk came out. The one at the bottom of the photo is a replica of an actual Spitfire that was shot down over the English Channel in May 1940 during Operation Dynamo.

PV-2 Ventura

B-58 Hustler

Francis "Gabby" Gabreski's P-47 Thunderbolt

Checkertail Clan P-47

Checkertail Clan P-51

Checkertail Clan P-40

F-86 (featuring a pilot from a galaxy far, far away, Lt. Porkins -- could not resist)

F-86 in Skyblazers livery

Japanese Mitsubishi Hyakushiki Otsu + Hei

Japanese "George"

Several different F4F Wildcats

* published in Fine Scale Modeler Magazine

Vickers Wellington (this one is on display in the gallery on-board the USS Lexington in Corpus Christi)

Heinkel He111 P1

A bunch of P-39 Airacobras

G3M "Nell"

Me264 "Amerika Bomber" (Yes, this aircraft actually existed)

F-16 in Texas Air National Guard colors

F-117

F-4 Phantom

Hu-16 Albatross

Me262

Swordfish (published in Fine Scale Modeler magazine)

Albatros

Hurricane

Fw190D

F6F Hellcat

P-36

P-38 Lightnings

F9F Panther

F-86 Sabre

Storch

Shinden

"Jack"

P-40B Flying Tiger

Pearl Harbor P-40B

Mig 15

F4U Corsair

P-40E Aleutian Tiger

Mig 21

Skyraider

Skyray

Me410

Fw189

V-1 Buzz Bomb

F-84 Thunderjet

F-80 Shooting Star

F2A Buffalo

P-51B Mustang

P-51D Mustang Tuskegee Airmen

F4U Corsair

F8F Bearcat

F7F Tigercat

F-82 Twin Mustang

A-6 Intruder

EA-6 Prowler

F-18 Hornet with an Aggie pilot

Su22

He219

TBF Avenger

Ju88

Helldiver

Do215 E-5

F-22 Raptor

Bf110

SM-79 Sparveiro (on display in the gallery aboard the USS Lexington)

Ar196 (on display in the gallery aboard the USS Lexington)

Gee, that's a lot of warbirds.
ja86
AG
awesome work.

Are they just kits or do you also do scratch built?
Lateralus Ag
AG
Very nice. Thanks for posting!!!
pinche gringo
AG
Outstanding work! Seeing these takes me back to when I was a kid, except mine sucked. Very, very nice!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
ja86 said:

awesome work.

Are they just kits or do you also do scratch built?
Thanks.

These are all from kits although many of them, like the yellow wing Wildcat, have a lot of scratch-built details inside. Some of the kits came with very basic details in the cockpits, and even though these areas are not easily visible, I went ahead and built out those areas with whatever spare parts I have in my storage drawer or with sheet styrene.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Very nice. Thanks for posting!!!
Thanks!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
pinche gringo said:

Outstanding work! Seeing these takes me back to when I was a kid, except mine sucked. Very, very nice!
Thanks! I built my first model airplane when I was three. Glue finger prints all over it, poorly aligned parts, just awful.
The Original AG 76
AG
outstanding work.
Building models was huge when I was a kid. Mostly ships but also a LOT of planes. We would build them all year, play wot them and then on the 4th blow everything up with the fireworks our parents would buy us. Seem slim a waste but it also allowed us to build all new stuff every year. Wish I had my huge Bismark and USS WASP. Saved the for many years until one year while I was up at Aggieland mom decided that I no longer wanted my " toys" and they just went away. I was mad as hell for months but...oh well....
CenterHillAg
AG
Great work!

There are several Spitfires kept in Houston that I'm told were used in Dunkirk, I can't confirm that though. Nevertheless, the owners built a large grass strip tucked away in an area I won't reveal, and had to leave 2 of them plus a Mustang at the strip one day when they were rained in. I happened to spot them while cruising around in my Cub, and loitered for about 30 mins looking at them. Out of respect for $5mil+ worth of aircraft sitting in the woods unguarded, I didn't land to check them out, but it was an incredible sight to see.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

outstanding work.
Building models was huge when I was a kid. Mostly ships but also a LOT of planes. We would build them all year, play wot them and then on the 4th blow everything up with the fireworks our parents would buy us. Seem slim a waste but it also allowed us to build all new stuff every year. Wish I had my huge Bismark and USS WASP. Saved the for many years until one year while I was up at Aggieland mom decided that I no longer wanted my " toys" and they just went away. I was mad as hell for months but...oh well....
Regarding your mom, that sounds incredibly familiar, except for me, it wasn't my collection of models or the 8mm movies I had made ... it was everything else that I didn't take with me to Aggieland. Just gone.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
CenterHillAg said:

Great work!

There are several Spitfires kept in Houston that I'm told were used in Dunkirk, I can't confirm that though. Nevertheless, the owners built a large grass strip tucked away in an area I won't reveal, and had to leave 2 of them plus a Mustang at the strip one day when they were rained in. I happened to spot them while cruising around in my Cub, and loitered for about 30 mins looking at them. Out of respect for $5mil+ worth of aircraft sitting in the woods unguarded, I didn't land to check them out, but it was an incredible sight to see.
Probably wise to keep the location of that strip to yourself, because there are people out there like me who would like nothing more than to go looking at such awesome warbirds.
CanyonAg77
AG
Amazing work. Do you build them for your own pleasure, to sell, or for museums?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Amazing work. Do you build them for your own pleasure, to sell, or for museums?
Thanks. Mostly for my own fun, although I have donated three to the museum aboard the USS Lexington. I'd actually like to find other museums that I could donate some to, as I have far more to build than I think my wife would like to see all over our house.
The Original AG 76
AG
Well... matter of fact ... she did throw away damn near everything I had in my room including hundreds of 1950's early 60's comic books. I am sure I had a lot of valuable first editions but .... oh well....
CanyonAg77
AG
There's a developing air and space museum in Amarillo. They're always on the local "tradio" show asking for donations.
OldArmy71
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Well... matter of fact ... she did throw away damn near everything I had in my room including hundreds of 1950's early 60's comic books. I am sure I had a lot of valuable first editions but .... oh well....

My mother threw out all of my 50s comic books when we moved from a tiny town to a city in 1961, when I was 12. I couldn't believe it when we unpacked and I realized what she had done.....
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Yikes on those comic books.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

There's a developing air and space museum in Amarillo. They're always on the local "tradio" show asking for donations.
I'll look into it, thanks. I live in Katy, so the drive to Corpus wasn't that long, but given how fragile these things are, that was a nerve-wracking drive to deliver those planes to the museum curator. Unless I can determine a way to securely pack them, that drive to Amarillo will probably take years off my remaining life, to borrow a quote from Nick Saban.
OldArmy71
AG
Those are amazingly well done models. Thanks for the photos!
VanZandt92
The Original AG 76
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

CanyonAg77 said:

I'll look into it, thanks. I live in Katy, so the drive to Corpus wasn't that long, but given how fragile these things are, that was a nerve-wracking drive to deliver those planes to the museum curator. Unless I can determine a way to securely pack them, that drive to Amarillo will probably take years off my remaining life, to borrow a quote from Nick Saban.
You might want to talk to the Lone Star Flight museum down at Ellington. If you haven't been there it is WELL worth the drive. One of the best flight museum Ive ever been to. They might be able to make a home for your collection.
If nothing else TREAT yourself to the visit.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Freaking awesome work! As a scale model builder I would not dare to post my work in comparison to yours.

Well done!
Flying Crowbar
AG
Those are fantastic! You had me at the B-58.

Do you focus on one scale primarily, or do you build whatever kit strikes your fancy, regardless of scale?
texrover91
AG
Very impressive! Appreciate you sharing all those pics. Do you prefer a particular scale?

And I thought my mom was the only one who threw out my stuff! Still peeved my football pads and uniforms were tossed!

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I typically build 1/48 scale since the parts are of good size that I don't have problems handling them. But I will build any scale so long as the subject interests me. That B-58 is 1/121 scale. The Japanese Nell bomber is 1/72 while the two Spitfires are 1/32, and while I don't have a photo, I did build a 1/24 scale British Mosquito fighter-bomber.
texrover91
AG
MPC had a "giant" scale series that included a Spitfire - never got one as they were pricey but still remember it clearly. Man wanted that Spitfire

Ah...The dreams of little boys - still vivid today
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
texrover91 said:

MPC had a "giant" scale series that included a Spitfire - never got one as they were pricey but still remember it clearly. Man wanted that Spitfire

Ah...The dreams of little boys - still vivid today
I think those are still available, maybe not from MPC (which I remember best as the manufacturer of the Star Wars vehicles, X-Wings and Darth Vader's TIE Fighter specifically). I know Airfix and Trumpeter have 1/24 scale Spitfires, Hurricanes, Bf-109s, and even a Typhoon (which I have waiting to build some day). That Mosquito is huge and was probably 600 parts. Easily one of the most enjoyable models I ever put together even though it took me the better part of half a year to do so. I should pull it off the wall and take a few pictures of it.
texrover91
AG
1/24 Mosquito would be impressive!

pilgrim82
AG
Impressive, CRA! As a kid, I tried my best to collect/build as many of Monogram's 1/48th scale WWII airplanes and Tamiya's 1/32nd scale WWII armor series. I had a pretty good collection, not nearly to your skills, but lost it all in a house fire. Looking at your photos really brought back memories.
insulator_king
AG
2 I remembered building were the B-58 Hustler and P-38 Lightning.

The B-58 had a droppable Nuke bomb that I recall did not actually work very well.

My P-38 was alternating silver & black paint on the twin fuselages. I moved them for several years, but bits kept breaking off, so I finally threw them away many years ago.

Good memories.
VanZandt92
This thread made me want to get back into plastic models and soldiers, but I have 3 little kids and no spare time except maybe to exercise currently. These are outstanding models no doubt.
Aggie Infantry
AG
I'll bet that the F117 was the easiest to paint.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Aggie Infantry said:

I'll bet that the F117 was the easiest to paint.
It actually wasn't. Black paint is about the most difficult to do, believe it or not, because it tends to obscure details that are ordinarily more readily visible. Although to be fair, there aren't many of those kind of details on the F-117, other than the panel "lines".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.