JJMt said:

I am currently reading this bio of Eisenhower. Anyone else read this or know of any scholarly reviews or opinions of it?

I am impressed so far because it seems to focus at least as much on Eisenhower's failings as it does his strengths. Too often, depictions of Eisenhower are too heroic.

The book also discusses Montgomery in positive terms, which is interesting. Most everything written here in the U.S. is very unflattering of Montgomery, but the British seem to worship him. I know that the Brits aren't complete idiots, so I've always wondered what the other side of the story was.

And, from this book, there's little doubt that Ike and Summersby were in an affair.

The author also stresses the conflict between the traditional U.S. doctrine of fighting aggressively across the entire line or front, versus the idea of maneuver and concentrating one's forces. Monty, most of the Brits, Patton, and many of the U.S. generals were advocates of maneuver, but Ike apparently followed the philosophy of Pershing and Marshall in fighting across the entire front. Anyone know the logic or rationale behind that philosophy?
No ****