Last of the Mohicans

5,361 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Corporal Punishment
Rabid Cougar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Watched this last night for the umpteenth time. Never gets old. The authenticity is off the charts. I have several close friends who were an extras. Said that Lewis never dropped character, Russell Means was an ass, and Wes Studi (Magua) was the nicest guy you would ever want meet.

Lewis was trained in woodscraft by Mark Baker and did all of his own "stunts" (loading on the run, proper way to carry a weapon, proper way to wear accoutrements).

I know lot of liberties taken historically but the French and Indian War was probably the most vicious conflict ever to take place on the American Continent. The natives were pretty much equal if not superior in regards to where combat was concerned.

RPag
I don't know anything about the French and Indian War. How did the different tribes decide who to ally themselves with? Was it just based on geography; whether the French or British and a presence? They seemed to have been victims of both at certain times.
IDAGG
AG
Nothing to add other than that is one of my favorite movies.
VanZandt92
absolutely love it
74OA
AG
"........and Magua will show you the way." I've been misled by a number of Maguas over the years.
JABQ04
AG
Great movie. And Lewis is insane when he plays a role. Had everyone call him Mr President in the set of Lincoln.
cbr
AG
dont forget madeline stowe smoking hot.
Sapper Redux
RPag said:

I don't know anything about the French and Indian War. How did the different tribes decide who to ally themselves with? Was it just based on geography; whether the French or British and a presence? They seemed to have been victims of both at certain times.

The French and British claims were dictated by Indian geography in the 17th and 18th centuries. The Iroquois in particular managed to carve out a nice empire for themselves by playing the French and British off one another. Who allied with whom depended on long-standing rivalries and claims.
terata
AG
I am a part of the Iroquois nations. Thank you for the kind words.
BQ78
AG
Another good movie that is very accurate and does an even better job of explaining the Huron and Irouquis dynamics is from Australian Director Bruce Beresford (Tender Mercies, Driving Miss Daisy and Breaker Morant) called Black Robe.

The last two movies listed above are must sees for anyone who enjoys posting on this board. I love his sweeping landscapes of South Africa and the Canadian Wilderness in those two movies, in addition to the excellent history, at least by Hollywood standards.
OldArmy71
AG
Breaker Morant is an excellent movie, one of my favorites.

I managed to work some of Morant's poetry into a senior British lit course and I showed the concluding scene of the movie after we discussed the poetry. (We concentrated on the poem he is narrating as he is about to be shot.)
SRBS
Rule .303!!!!!!!
OldArmy71
AG

Quote:

BUTCHERED TO MAKE A DUTCHMAN'S HOLIDAY
by Harry ("Breaker") Morant

In prison cell I sadly sit,
A d__d crest-fallen chappie!
And own to you I feel a bit-
A little bit - unhappy!

It really ain't the place nor time
To reel off rhyming diction -
But yet we'll write a final rhyme
Whilst waiting crucifixion!

No matter what "end" they decide -
Quick-lime or "b'iling ile," sir?
We'll do our best when crucified
To finish off in style, sir!

But we bequeath a parting tip
For sound advice of such men,
Who come across in transport ship
To polish off the Dutchmen!

If you encounter any Boers
You really must not loot 'em!
And if you wish to leave these shores,
For pity's sake, DON'T SHOOT 'EM!!

And if you'd earn a D.S.O.,
Why every British sinner
Should know the proper way to go
Is: "ASK THE BOER TO DINNER!"

Let's toss a bumper down our throat, -
Before we pass to Heaven,
And toast: "The trim-set petticoat
We leave behind in Devon."

First published in The Bulletin, 19 April 1902.
BQ78
AG
So many great lines in that movie:

Quote:

Hancock: What's a pagan?
Morant: Well... it's somebody who doesn't believe there's a divine being dispensing justice to mankind.
Hancock: I'm a pagan, too.
Sapper Redux
BQ78 said:

Another good movie that is very accurate and does an even better job of explaining the Huron and Irouquis dynamics is from Australian Director Bruce Beresford (Tender Mercies, Driving Miss Daisy and Breaker Morant) called Black Robe.

The last two movies listed above are must sees for anyone who enjoys posting on this board. I love his sweeping landscapes of South Africa and the Canadian Wilderness in those two movies, in addition to the excellent history, at least by Hollywood standards.

Black Robe is fantastic. It and The Witch are the two most accurate movies I've seen of colonial American life and culture (obviously there weren't really witches in the woods, but The Witch does an absolutely amazing job of portraying real Puritan beliefs and fears about temptation and the wilderness). I always show my students the scene of the priest getting lost in the forest and the reaction of his Indian guides when they find him. I think it drives home the alien nature of America for the Europeans and the gulf between them and the natives. The gauntlet scene is also a good one that I often show.
SRBS
Breaker Morant is a tremendous film. Love the rule .303 speech.
The favorite weapon I own is an Enfield made in Australia in 1939.
Paid 100 bucks for it. Bore is black and pitted.
Shoots lasers. 250 yards open sights, I'll hit ya in the head every time.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Breaker Morant was actually filmed in Burra, South Australia. The fort depicted in the film is really the ruins of a early 20th century century girls reform school. A friend of mine plays the bearded Boer that sings the Afrikaans operatic tune and throws the dynamite stick.

I had the pleasure of visiting Burra this spring. Cool place. The town is centered around a monument to the local boys lost at Gallipoli.
(removed:110205)
Rabid Cougar said:

I know lot of liberties taken historically but the French and Indian War was probably the most vicious conflict ever to take place on the American Continent. The natives were pretty much equal if not superior in regards to where combat was concerned.

I don't know. I just read Empire of the Summer Moon. The Comanche Wars were no picnic and the Comanches were the equal of whites for a long time.
Rabid Cougar
AG
I agree the Comanche were the Lords of the Plains. My statement is based upon that the French and British pretty much depended upon the natives to be allies. The Comanche were allied to no one.
tmaggies
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

I agree the Comanche were the Lords of the Plains. My statement is based upon that the French and British pretty much depended upon the natives to be allies. The Comanche were allied to no one.

Kiowa's say hi....
Sapper Redux
Sid said:

Rabid Cougar said:

I don't know. I just read Empire of the Summer Moon. The Comanche Wars were no picnic and the Comanches were the equal of whites for a long time.

I'd say King Philip's War was the most vicious. Per capita, it might be the deadliest conflict in American history and introduced scalp bounties as a norm of colonial Indian conflict. That's not to say the French and Indian War was a cake walk. Peter Silver's book "Our Savage Neighbors" is a really good read on the war.
Hey Nav
AG
Love that movie.

Quote:

Got to chat with her in Kerrville once. Was very nice.
Rabid Cougar
AG
tmaggies said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Kiowa's say hi....
Yep!
DrEvazanPhD
cbr said:

Rules, dammit!
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

I am a part of the Iroquois nations.

How (.?)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously, does anyone know where "How" came from? Is it an English word that closely resembles a Native American phrase or pronunciation of something?
JR69
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

How (.?)

Seriously, does anyone know where "How" came from? Is it an English word that closely resembles a Native American phrase or pronunciation of something?
"Hau" is the Lakota/Dakota/Nakota word for hello, spelled that way by the Jesuit priest who wrote the definitive work on the Sioux languages.Pronounced like an abbreviated "how".
terata
AG
Reply to Ag Lawyer

Kwe!
easttexasaggie04
AG
One of my favorite movies as well. So many great scenes. When his dad killed Magua on that cliff it was amazing.
Stive
AG
That fight scene is one of my favorite "total butt kick" fights. So many movies make it a close call, or good guy getting beat up then miraculously recovering to win the day. Old Mohican thrashed him from the start, no question, no doubt.

One of my other favorites in that same vibe is on a terrible movie called Knockaround Guys. It's a fight in a bar where the local tough just gets whipped to bits by the out of town guy.

There's always someone tougher out there.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Magua's death

The music is still haunting.
WestAustinAg
AG
JR69 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

How (.?)

"Hau" is the Lakota/Dakota/Nakota word for hello, spelled that way by the Jesuit priest who wrote the definitive work on the Sioux languages.Pronounced like an abbreviated "how".
And n ho in Mandarin means "hello". All native people came from Asia roughly 15-20K years ago though not necessarily from the China region. DNA evidence points to parts further north in modern day Siberia.

For more on the anthropological interplay between genetic evidence and archaelogical evidence revealing more about Native American ancestry you can look no further than Texas A&M's Center for the Study Of First Americans.

http://csfa.tamu.edu/?page_id=99
VanZandt92

Just ran across this. Volume up for entertainment.
aalan94
AG
It's interesting that your friend said Wes Studi was a really nice guy. I didn't know much about him other than that he was the very evil Magua in the movie, but recently read about him in connection with the new movie "Hostiles" that's coming out. Apparently, although he plays a great bad guy, he's a really awesome human in person. I always like to see that dichotomy, and I think it proves someone's a good actor if they can be the exact opposite on film to their real life persona.

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/movies/wes-studi-hostiles-1.15452302
Corporal Punishment
AG
Studio has pretty good comedy chops, too. He's a scream in Mystery Men.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.