Going to get Corregidor Muster pic colorized

5,094 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ja86
Jaydoug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got an email from Marina Amaral in Brazil saying she would do it. I need to get a copy of the photo that is at least 300 dpi. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of that quality?

Here is one she has recently done.

https://instagr.am/p/BWAaz21l5ol
The Original AG 76
AG
Suggest that you get in touch with Marty Holmes at the Assoc Of Former Students and see what he has. I am sure that they would love to have a colorized pic for the great Corregidor Muster exhibition they have at the Williams Building. Marty is a great guy and easy to work with.

Edit to fix name
libertyag
AG
I like the one of Lincoln. I have a question as I know nothing about the colorization process. Is there any basis in how that process is done, by that I mean is there a way to take the pretty much known color of the pine needles and somehow tie that into the black and white image and then the color of uniforms or other items (flags, etc.) and link that to how they appear in the black and white photo and then fill in the blanks based on the shades, etc. in the black and white image or is it just a best guess as to what the colors would have been? Hope that makes sense!
Jaydoug
AG
I don't know. I've just seen snippets of her with the image open using color pallets to basically paint the photo. I'm sure she knows how to interpret shades of gray in the variations of the color (shadow, etc). She's quite amazing.
Jaydoug
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Suggest that you get in touch with Marty Burns at the Assoc Of Former Students and see what he has. I am sure that they would love to have a colorized pic for the great Corregidor Muster exhibition they have at the Williams Building. Marty is a great guy and easy to work with.

Do you have contact info for Marty? I looked for a Marty Burns and came up empty on the association website and find an Aggie.
The Original AG 76
AG
Just call the main number of the AFS and ask for Marty HOLMES.... sorry I typed the wrong last name earlier. It's that old fart syndrome. Knew a Burns about 40 years ago....
Jaydoug
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Just call the main number of the AFS and ask for Marty HOLMES.... sorry I typed the wrong last name earlier. It's that old fart syndrome. Knew a Burns about 40 years ago....

I sent him an email. Thanks!
Liquid Wrench
libertyag said:

I like the one of Lincoln. I have a question as I know nothing about the colorization process. Is there any basis in how that process is done, by that I mean is there a way to take the pretty much known color of the pine needles and somehow tie that into the black and white image and then the color of uniforms or other items (flags, etc.) and link that to how they appear in the black and white photo and then fill in the blanks based on the shades, etc. in the black and white image or is it just a best guess as to what the colors would have been? Hope that makes sense!
Depending on the quality of the photograph, software can detect some hues or make guesses, but it takes some serious skills and good eyes to make it realistic. Some people see colors and shades the way nerds see numbers and can see how the colors should fit together.

There's a relatively new website that allows you to upload your photos for automatic colorization and my first result was humorous at best, but you can try it here: http://demos.algorithmia.com/colorize-photos/

It's proof that brilliant algorithms aren't enough.
libertyag
AG
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
GSPag`
I knew Marty back in the day. And have seen him a few times since. If he has access to the pic. You will get a copy.

I look forward to your post of this when completed.
claym711
AG
Wow, Lincoln is rough on the eyes.
Jaydoug
AG
I got a response from Marty saying he would see what he can do. Thanks.
Jaydoug
AG
She acknowledged that she would do the Corrrigador photo. Payment was sent. Now we are just in line.

A commission she just finished for a WW2 vet.

https://instagr.am/p/BYlK8TShnMD
WestAustinAg
AG
You can follow her on twitter and instagram. She actually tries to go to the places or view lots of current pictures of the places...does quite a bit of research before determining color paletes.

Can't wait to see it.
CanyonAg77
AG
As an old photographer, I usually bristle when someone talks about colorizing old photos. But I have to admit, some of her work is breathtaking.

http://www.marinamaral.com/portfolio-2/

Jaydoug
AG
She's done! Here is a sneak peak....

The Original AG 76
AG
Jaydoug said:

fantastic. Make sure that the AFS sees it. They have the original flag and the picture. There is a great display in the AFS building .
Jaydoug
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Jaydoug said:

fantastic. Make sure that the AFS sees it. They have the original flag and the picture. There is a great display in the AFS building .
I sent the file to Marty at AFS.
AgBQ-00
AG
That is fantastic! Can't wait to see the whole picture.
Jaydoug
AG

P.H. Dexippus
AG
I have to admit, that as many times as I have looked at the bw version before, I only recognized there being 1 or 2 Texas flags. Wow!
p_bubel
Very cool.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Jaydoug said:

Top row 6th from right - sailor hat on back of head - James Garrison '49 Fort Worth North Side High

Maybe the only Navy guy there . (We were roommates - Frogs 1945 )
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Jaydoug
AG
Awesome. Thanks for your post.

[No idea why I picked that emoji. Fat fingered it I guess]
Ciboag96
ja86
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.