Romans and the History of Feudalism

1,366 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Smokedraw01
Smokedraw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm a public school teacher that works with other teachers to help align their instruction to the TEKS and improve instruction. The 7th and 8th-grade teachers I work with have benefitted from the wealth of knowledge on this board, even if they aren't aware of it.

One issue I run into is that some of the teachers I work with get upset when some of the 6th-grade world cultures teachers teach Feudalism. I'm fairly agnostic to the whole argument they have that it doesn't fit into the TEKS and isn't what should be taught. The teachers and students enjoy it, so I'm going to try to make it fit the TEKS. The 6th-grade TEKS are fairly open and tend to be a little more skill based and we can make just about anything fit within them.

So my thought was to do a very short history of early feudalism to teach students cause-and-effect and the long-lasting effects of some decisions. I'm not well-read on the subject but my interests were piqued with The History of Rome podcast over Diocletian. Primarily, I would like to look at his reorganization of the Empire into the diocese and Dux system and his takeover of the guilds and the hereditary nature of those professions. Any bit of information or guidance would be appreciated on where I could take this. My thought is we'd have students look at feudalism and analyze it according to the government TEKS that deal with rule by one, few, or many and the reasons for limiting the power of the government. I'd also like them to look at the economic impacts.

I'd like to make a card sort where each card had a decision or influence for what eventually became the feudal system in Europe. Students would attempt to put the cards in order to see how it gradually took hold. I understand that feudalism could look different all over but I just want the overview.

Let me know if I didn't articulate myself very well or if you have any areas where this could go.

Thanks,
aalan94
AG
It's really maddening that that's not in the TEKS? How can you teach slavery if you don't teach feudalism? How can you teach the growth of the nation state without teaching feudalism?
Sapper Redux
It's also a great excuse to show Game of Thrones in class.
BQ78
AG
I bet that nekkid shamin' walk will play real well with the 6th grade boys.
Smokedraw01
aalan94 said:

It's really maddening that that's not in the TEKS? How can you teach slavery if you don't teach feudalism? How can you teach the growth of the nation state without teaching feudalism?
How would you go about teaching the connection? Any events that you can point to that are key to the progression?
Richierich2323
I also teach World Cultures in Texas. I really liked what we did this year to make sure that we could hit all of our fun spots while also making sure to get the skills out of our TEKS.

We spent our first semester creating a toolkit. That toolkit included:
- economic systems
- government systems
- map skills
- 5 themes of geography
- culture

Then our second semester we told the "story" of each continent and went over everything we learned the first semester in more depth and taught history and the culture of that region together.

It worked well for us and allowed for our kids to really get a nice survey of why our world is the way it is today. Part of our story was Feudalism in Europe and then we also mentioned Feudalism again when we went to Asia.

I think we planned on comparing and contrasting feudalism in both places but I don't think we ever did due to time constraints.

jeffk
AG
It's still in the 10th grade WH TEKS.
Smokedraw01
Richierich2323 said:

I also teach World Cultures in Texas. I really liked what we did this year to make sure that we could hit all of our fun spots while also making sure to get the skills out of our TEKS.

We spent our first semester creating a toolkit. That toolkit included:
- economic systems
- government systems
- map skills
- 5 themes of geography
- culture

Then our second semester we told the "story" of each continent and went over everything we learned the first semester in more depth and taught history and the culture of that region together.

It worked well for us and allowed for our kids to really get a nice survey of why our world is the way it is today. Part of our story was Feudalism in Europe and then we also mentioned Feudalism again when we went to Asia.

I think we planned on comparing and contrasting feudalism in both places but I don't think we ever did due to time constraints.

Would you be willing to share?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.